Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Advice on picking a 545i please

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='982385' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:08 PM
Let the owner of car # 1 that you have found a comparable. The only hesitation you have is that it has a warranty and that car number one has no warranty. Maybe you can get him to come down on the price to offset your cost of purchasing a warranty.

2 things struck me that may need a second look. Why does car number one only have 13,000 miles? Rebuilt ? Salvage? Lemon?

car # 2 has already had 2 owners. Probably was a lease turn in and purchased as CPO by owner 2. That would make you the 3rd owner of a 5 yr old car.

If you can verify the mileage and clear title on car number one I would say go for it. If you have a friend at a BMW dealership they should be able to run a vehicle service history report. If you do not have a friend at a local BMW dealership go to the nearest dealership and tell them that you would like a vehicle service report and will gladly pay for it. Talk to them and tell them that you want to develop a rapport with them and you would be bringing your car in for maintenance and repairs. Could never hurt to try.

In regards to the things that caught your attention, why such low mileage right? Dealer indicates that the car was owned by an old woman and rarely driven. I ran an Autocheck and nothing fishy came up, at least that was reported. I requested for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) at the BMW dealership but of course that would be on my tab, which he said would be around $200. I cannot try your suggestion to bring to the nearest dealership for records since that car is located about 400 miles away from me and I don't know anyone who works at a BMW dealership either. I'll be flying out to check out this car in about 2 weeks though if the local car (Car#2) doesn't suffice.

You are correct about Car#2 in that it was a lease, then purchased with CPO, and I would be the 3rd owner if purchased.

Currently both cars check out on their Autochecks, but that is only on paper till I get to see them. I definitely do not want to rush into this, and aside from the price of the car itself, I understand the upkeep is not cheap, which is why I am being very cautious.

I appreciate the comments so far and would welcome any additional pointers that may help me make the best decision. CPO would be ideal, but BMW dealerships don't even carry the 545i's anymore since they are 4-5 years old.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would an accident devalue a car in general?

I just found out one of the potential cars I am looking at had an accident, but was then sold as a CPO car afterwards.