5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   Active steering worth the money? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/active-steering-worth-money-7161/)

Flowerfred 02-14-2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:12 PM
If you're getting an M5 and not taking it to the track, then why spend all that money on a car that's meant for that? I don't get it. The 545i or 550i should be enough for driving to work.. with AS of course ;)
[snapback]90141[/snapback]

The key word in my last post is 'just'...

:wacko:

urbo73 02-14-2005 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Feb 14 2005, 06:29 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:12 PM']If you're getting an M5 and not taking it to the track, then why spend all that money on a car that's meant for that? I don't get it. The 545i or 550i should be enough for driving to work.. with AS of course ;)

The key word in my last post is 'just'...

:wacko:
[snapback]90143[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, so let me try to understand things. You said you understood why BMW didn't put AS in the M5. Why, I ask again do you think that is?

I also understand you'd prefer an M5 with AS, so you can enjoy driving it to work more as well as in general track use. So now I'm curious to hear what you have to say on the above.

Flowerfred 02-14-2005 01:50 PM

Quite simple. *I* think the reason BMW decided not to offer AS on the M5 is that it would start people complaining about the thing not being hard-core enough. Too many gadgets and too far removed from the E39 M5.
I for one don't share the opinion that AS takes away the feel. I drive the sh*t out of my diesel and it handles perfectly.
I feel it's just one of those things that people will slag off because it's new, too modern and not neccessary. Just like the 3 click indicators for example.
This car fits me like a glove.

urbo73 02-14-2005 02:08 PM

Quite simple. *I* think the reason BMW decided not to offer AS on the M5 is that it would start people complaining about the thing not being hard-core enough. Too many gadgets and too far removed from the E39 M5.
Bingo! They learned from all the complaints they got from many E60 owners. That's also why it's now, or will be soon be, no longer packaged with the Sports Package on the E60. BMW finally understood IMO that AS took away for many. If they didn't, they wouldn't take it away from the M5 and make it a stand alone option on the E60. They understood that this AS technology is not something that they can just shove down everyone's throat, hoping that people will all eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

I feel it's just one of those things that people will slag off because it's new, too modern and not neccessary. Just like the 3 click indicators for example.
This is different, because things like iDrive, 3-click indicators, etc. don't interfere really with the DRIVE of the car. The feel of the car is mainly what BMW is known/reknown for. IMO they realized AS should have been just an option. Just like adaptive cruise control. Some may like it, and some may not. But if BMW really thought that AS was the way to go, then it WOULD be on the M5 and still part of the E60 Sports Package - if not on every E60 by default. But BMW did not. And THIS is why I call AS silly, stupid, and not necessary. Technology for technology's sake being shoved down our throats didn't work apparently

beewang 02-14-2005 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 03:50 PM
....I've said nothing as inflammaroty as beewang, and teriyaki88 hasn't even understood my post it seems and HE's the one asking for more. I don't even know why I bothered to explain myself at such length. But *I*'m doing something wrong?...

Beewang just wants to stir up the pot - maybe he can take his own advice and not post. As to this being a friendly community, it seems like it is, but not with some users.

You have gotta be ****ing kidding me. Let me refresh your memory.

This is my first post on the thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=88596

And this is your first post on the topic:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=88808

And the next post by you:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=88810

Now it may be just me? but it sure looks like you cast the first stone. But I am the one who?s trying to stir the pot? Is like you said? ?Time stamp don?t lie iceman Also it helps to read more carefully before getting into a qouting contest..? Guess it doesn?t apply to you?? Or are you the type that can dish it out but can?t take it on the chim?? It?s a 2 ways street pal.

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 03:50 PM
And you haven't even understoond my post either it seems. When did I say I don't like your car? When did I say people made the wrong decisions or criticize their choices, options, and cars? The sensitivity comes from some other place...

Just like in the CIP threads. Some things it seems, no matter how cleary spelled out, some just don't understand or simply refuse to because "this is the way"... OK. I'll just post stuff like "Welcome!" "Nice car" "BMW is perfect" "Congratulations" and other meaningless posts really that don't add anything.

You guys see a criticism of a BMW technology as an attack on you, your car, and the choice you made. THAT is not my issue.

Quit point the fingers at others, it helps if you look into the mirror sometimes.

beewang 02-14-2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 05:08 PM
Bingo! They learned from all the complaints they got from many E60 owners. That's also why it's now, or will be soon be, no longer packaged with the Sports Package on the E60. BMW finally understood IMO that AS took away for many. If they didn't, they wouldn't take it away from the M5 and make it a stand alone option on the E60. They understood that this AS technology is not something that they can just shove down everyone's throat, hoping that people will all eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Is that the same reason why they took away the fog lights on the M5??

urbo73 02-14-2005 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:19 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 05:08 PM']Bingo! They learned from all the complaints they got from many E60 owners. That's also why it's now, or will be soon be, no longer packaged with the Sports Package on the E60. BMW finally understood IMO that AS took away for many. If they didn't, they wouldn't take it away from the M5 and make it a stand alone option on the E60. They understood that this AS technology is not something that they can just shove down everyone's throat, hoping that people will all eventually get used to it and learn to love it.

Is that the same reason why they took away the fog lights on the M5??
[snapback]90173[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are quite the comedian. The reason they took away the foglights is because of Iceman :P

Why do you suppose PDC is there?

kscarrol 02-14-2005 02:24 PM

Just my 0.02. Urbo, by calling it silly, stupid and not neccesary, you are indirectly questioning the judgement of those who have it and like. Hence the defensive response from some. Now this thread has spiraled from a discussion about the merits or lack thereof of AS to personal attacks.

And I must say your quick response about the silly and unneccesary PDC technology is the reserve argument that others are making about AS. You basically admit that it's silly, but it is useful for your wife when she is parking your car. Many feel the same way about the AS. Is it the purist driving experience that one can have. Maybe not, but the technology is useful to and enjoyed by many drivers. As I said earlier, I didn't care for it during my test drive and that is the only reason that I ordered my car without the Sports Package.

How about we let those who have their AS enjoy it and those of us who decided not to get it enjoy our cars sans the AS.

Drive On! :thumbsup:

Iceman 02-14-2005 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 14 2005, 09:55 PM
...think about AS as a form of 'drive by wire' technology? ...it works great in flying jets, and i bet flying at multiples of mach speed are no less thrilling for a pilot even though the mechanical link is not there... AS is the first step toward a true 'drive by wire' in cars? :thumbsup:
[snapback]90094[/snapback]

We allready have real drive by wire technology in our cars, and I don't mean the AS. ;)

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:25 PM
To sum it all up:

-Urbo is a resident expert on driving.
-Urbo says any technological advance is bad unless he agrees with it.
-We are not allowed to like anything or have an opinion unless we have a valid explaination or justification. Peoples response like "I like it" isn't good enough for him.? I guess we better do a 1000 page PHD dissertation before we answer any of his questions.? :lol:
[snapback]90107[/snapback]

:lol:

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:27 PM
Let's all put your Love/Hate into a quantitative measurable unit: Price.

How much would you pay for the AS alone (MSRP)? Please indicate how much you would pay from -U$2,000 to $2,000.? Negative amount means you would pay to not have it.? $0 means you could care less if you had it or not, as long as it's free.

Let me start, I would pay $800 for it, no more, no less.

What about you guys?
[snapback]90108[/snapback]

We have to pay for it over here in Germany, and we do. It is a stand alone option for us.

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:33 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 09:31 PM']If anything people are a bit too sensitive here. Why's that?
[snapback]90082[/snapback]

The reason for that is that we have a nice and friendly little community going on here, and we like to keep it that way. Negativity spreads like wildfire, before you know it we're back to Roadfly. The fact that you didn't get this option is statement enough that you don't like it. The idea is to let the enthousiasts banter on about their cars. That is why people keep coming back here. If I want to hear from somebody that doesn't like my car I'll go to an Audi forum.
THAT, my friend, is where the sensitivity comes from.

Just an explanation, not an attack mate. :)
[snapback]90111[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well said! :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:57 PM
Fine, but that's the reason I'm glad AS is not on the M5. Why do you suppose (preference aside for AS or not) that BMW decided not to put AS into the M5?
[snapback]90129[/snapback]

That is plain and simple because the Emmy has a total different set up that fits waaay better to the M. The steering is not the same like in the regular E60!

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:12 PM
If you're getting an M5 and not taking it to the track, then why spend all that money on a car that's meant for that? I don't get it. The 545i or 550i should be enough for driving to work.. with AS of course ;)

So what you're saying is, that everybody who buys a Porsche, an Ferrari, a Bugatti, etc... is stupid, aren't you?
That's what I read in between your lines!

If I want a track car, I will not buy ANY stock car, I will allways mod it for track! But ppl want fast and superb handling cars for their daily use. If they want 507 HP, why not? Do they need to take it on track because some urbo thinks the car is meant for track use? NO!
If you think the M5 is meant for track use only you have not understand the concept of the M-cars!

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:08 AM

Bingo! They learned from all the complaints they got from many E60 owners.
[snapback]90169[/snapback]

NO!
When they made the decission that the Emmy will not get AS, the E60 wasn't even out!

Oh, BTW...

You think AS is silly... Well, it is so silly, that all other car manufacturers are now starting to copy it. It is also the "innovation of the year". Even Porsche is building something very similar to AS soon.

beewang 02-14-2005 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Feb 14 2005, 05:24 PM
....How about we let those who have their AS enjoy it and those of us who decided not to get it enjoy our cars sans the AS.?

Drive On! :thumbsup:
[snapback]90175[/snapback]

I am all for that!! :thumbsup:

cheers,

beewang :whistle: