Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Haven't heard to much mention about the active cruise control, and was just checking to see what some of the feelings on it are. I was planning on getting the HUD, if that makes a difference.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Members

My thinking was, why would you need cruise control with a bmw. Its a real joy to drive the 5 series, and it made more sense to spend that amount of money on other options such as comfort seats or navigation which could be very useful. Im not sure how it is in USA, but here in Canada, the E60's also have a standard cruise control, so why bother spending a big amount on just getting more or less the same thing as in it performs the same function just in a better way. Also, ive never ever used the cruise control so thats another reason why i didnt give this feature much attention. Just my opinion
Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributors

In a word.......NO

2.2K buys more useful goodies!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Members

I have the active cruise control and I love it. On a recent trip to Seattle through extremely heavy rain, the cruise radar detected a car ahead of me that I couldn't even see because of the rain, and my car slowed down automatically. That was a use I hadn't even thought of when I bought it. Instead of a stressful drive trying to see in poor conditions, the cruise let me relax a lot more.

Thanks to the active cruise, rain sensing wipers, and light sensors, I drove for over an hour without needing to make a single adjustment.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

if i want a car that drives itself, i'll go with a merc.
even if active cruise, i cannot figure out a way to catch a nap. the answer is no.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:04 AM
Contributors

The system is very good. A must in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The main reason I opted to skip AC this time around was that I felt that if I were using it on a highway where many people tend to get in between you and the car you're following, that I'd be going backwards while eveyone is going forwards.

People don't always use safe following distances, etc. I'd have to test drive one before I'm convinced it's worth any money at this time.

It probably works much better than I'm imagining but for now, I agree with Doctor Diesel, there are many more useful options for the money.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

The system is very good. My dad has it on his can and i dont. It really depends if you communte on the highway alot. If you drive to work on the highways then i might say yes. Another thing, i'm not totally sure but i dont think the cruise control sets over 100 anyways. So if you drive over 100 there is no point in getting it. If you drive on the highway a lot and do a lot of commuting then go for it. If not then spend your money in other places
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the replies. Agree that I will get other options before I get it.

Interesting on the ability in the rain Jhalsey, thanks.

The radar "dome" also looks kind of unprotected, and might be prone to rock chips, but I guess it is no different than the fog lights.

One of the many decisions I will need to make, including the color (Silver Gray/Titanium Gray, and 6 M vs. SMG). Sounds like a couple test drives to me.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what? if you consistently drive over 100mph where i live, you will be driving without a license illegally or parked.

i wanted the active cruise but couldn't justify the cost. if it was cheaper, i would probably have ordered it. also, the other consideration is that the normal cruise has increments of 1 mph or 5 mph..which makes it very easy to adjust speed in moderate traffic. i don't even use cruise while raining or in heavy traffic.

Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control