Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Absolute Worst Part of the BMW Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Undoubtedly it is putting up with all the BS with negotiating the lease. The dealers in Chicago routinely make math errors in their favor, stick in hidden charges, use the wrong numbers accidentally. I found out today that the acquisition fee was inflated by an extra $200 by the dealer to $825. BMW FS just looks the other way. The lease experience is far and away the worst part of buying a new BMW.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461624' date='Aug 23 2007, 04:30 AM
Undoubtedly it is putting up with all the BS with negotiating the lease. The dealers in Chicago routinely make math errors in their favor, stick in hidden charges, use the wrong numbers accidentally. I found out today that the acquisition fee was inflated by an extra $200 by the dealer to $825. BMW FS just looks the other way. The lease experience is far and away the worst part of buying a new BMW.
How did you verify that $825 was inflated? I'm taking delivery today on a 535xi and my dealer is also saying $825...I've seen others say it should be $625.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

It is $625 and BMW FS gives the dealer the option of adding $200 additional profit. Those that are aware just refuse to agree to the extra $200 and it goes away.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Members

I had a great lease experience. Negotiated everything before closing on a sat .. Picked up The car I wanted (Not the one they wanted to give me) on Monday evening! Car was priced to exactly what we negotiated. Added extra miles and asked for a 2 yr instead of the traditional 3-4 yr they were offering. All in all a good experience.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461624' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:30 AM

Prior to the purchasing my car I explored lease options with BMWFS through the dealer. This Dallas dealer insisted that BMWFS "required" a $1000 acquisition fee. I called BMWFS and learned that they had no such requirement. I don't lease or finance through car dealers. I agree that this is an ugly part of the BMW experience.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461624' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience. This just ruins the whole new car experience. Just forget about it and enjoy the car. After all, what is 200USD when you are leasing a 50K+ car
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I also had a great leasing experience with my X5, but I totally attribute that to the knowledge gained from this and some other boards, that educated me on all the aspects of leasing. I went in with a great deal of knowledge of what to expect from the dealer and what I wanted in the way of a lease. When I started talking about MSD's and what the BMWFS money factor was, I think the dealer figured out very quickly I had done my homework. Based on that, the dealer gave me no BS, and we just proceeded ahead with a very easy lease experience.

I purchased my e60, and again that went very smoothly. They had a new sales guy at the dealership, and I actually think I took more advantage of him than anything else.

Now the service departments can be very frustrating. The dealer where I bought my e60 had a horrible service department. I never actually took my car there, but I heard many bad reports about them. After dealing with them on the phone about a couple simple issues, I could only assume all the bad reports were correct. I found another dealer who gives great service, including BMW loaners, even though I didn't buy my e60 from them. Needlless to say, it is this dealer that got my business when I bought my wife an X5.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Paul

Please don?t let this bump in the road spoil your experience.

The dealer is allowed to mark this up without disclosing the markup and apparently they do this when they see fit.

That doesn?t make it right but it is truly miniscule in the scheme of things.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461624' date='Aug 23 2007, 04:30 AM
Vote with your wallet on your opinion of this dealers practices, go somewhere else to lease it.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461624' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:30 AM
Is thier nature, they are trained to bump up prices whenever possible. I have been buying cars from same dealer for 20 years now, and everytime I have to check my numbers carefully and argue with them at time of signing the lease, the Manager is the same, but I usually have to deal with different SA and Finance Managers, in the end I always get the deal I want with the corerct numbers, but I should not have to go trough the same process every time.

Quick Reply: Absolute Worst Part of the BMW Experience