Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Aaaagh- bloody dealers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car went into dealer today for warranty work to rattling parcel shelf. When car returned it was immediately apparent that the bodywork had been "valeted" which had left large circular swirl marks over nearly all the body panels.
I think that some idiot has used some sort of mechanical polishing device that has made a real mess of my previously unblemished jet black paintwork. I did not request that my car be valeted and always take great care of the paintwork ( never using car washes ) and always using quality car shampoos, waxes etc. Needless to say I will be going over to the dealers tommorrow to see what they are going to do.
P.S. the parcel shelf still rattles
mark-yorkshire
Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Bad deal Mark. I understand how you feel. I always have my SA indicate clearly on my work order that I do not want a wash, for example, so that they don't do so assuming I would want one. I wonder why your dealer felt the need to do anything beyond wash your car. You might find out why they felt they "needed" to apply a buffer.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' post='245527' date='Feb 24 2006, 04:57 PM
My car went into dealer today for warranty work to rattling parcel shelf. When car returned it was immediately apparent that the bodywork had been "valeted" which had left large circular swirl marks over nearly all the body panels.
I think that some idiot has used some sort of mechanical polishing device that has made a real mess of my previously unblemished jet black paintwork. I did not request that my car be valeted and always take great care of the paintwork ( never using car washes ) and always using quality car shampoos, waxes etc. Needless to say I will be going over to the dealers tommorrow to see what they are going to do.
P.S. the parcel shelf still rattles
mark-yorkshire
I feel your pain. Could you not take it up with the dealer when you picked the car up?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' post='245527' date='Feb 24 2006, 08:57 PM
When car returned it was immediately apparent that the bodywork had been "valeted" which had left large circular swirl marks over nearly all the body panels.
Had the same thing happen when my car went in for some respray work to be redone (the irony) - masses of swirls and scratches, clearly done during valeting.

My (North London) dealer's bodyshop manager couldn't have been more helpful - they used some polishing machine to redo all the affected areas (bonnet was worst), free of charge (quite rightly). Brilliant customer service (hey, there's always a first time!)

Demand they put it right, basically. You got Carbon Black out of interest? That paint sucks big time...

EDIT: Jet black, I see from your sig... almost as bad.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I doubt they used a buffer.

They probably just washed and dried it with towels. Drying a car can easily leave swirl marks.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributors

kindly complaint to them! maybe they will help you out.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Members

Went back to dealers first thing this morning and vented my extreme displeasure. To be fair the most senior man available accepted that the cars lacquer coat was affected by swirls which he says were caused by their valeter's brushes. Car going back on Thursday for an outside contractor ( Chipsaway ) to do a full paintwork valet. Will keep my fingers crossed. They are also going to have another go at the rattling parcel shelf.
Mark
Old 02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' post='245881' date='Feb 25 2006, 12:22 PM
Went back to dealers first thing this morning and vented my extreme displeasure. To be fair the most senior man available accepted that the cars lacquer coat was affected by swirls which he says were caused by their valeter's brushes. Car going back on Thursday for an outside contractor ( Chipsaway ) to do a full paintwork valet. Will keep my fingers crossed. They are also going to have another go at the rattling parcel shelf.
Mark
Good luck on both M-Y.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Znod' post='245959' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:58 PM
Good luck on both M-Y.
Znod just a little tid bit for you about are GREAT dealers you and I have,( and I wish everybody else)
I'm in the process of purchasing a X3 Everything is finalized except the color.JMK came through with every thing I wanted and nobody came close to there price.They are the greatest.
cheers
vern
Old 02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

If the swirles are very bad...

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...40&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: Aaaagh- bloody dealers!