Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

545i - with or without the Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:39 AM
Yeah I realized after I posted that it might be taken as flame bait. It's not. I simply don't understand the purpose of SMG unless you race and have a 545. But then again get an M3 with the better SMG like I said.

I welcome people who have SMG to explain to me how they use it and how it's better than a 6speed or the Steptronic. Is it purely the cool/fun factor (i.e. I can downshitf perfectly entering a corner, etc. - perfect heel/toe every time - Montoya wach out! -, etc.) My feeling is that if I want to row my own gears I'll get a 6speed and if I don't I'll get the Steptronic (which I don't plan to use in it's silly shift for yourself mode). SMG to me is a high performace manual tranny sans clutch, crippled in the 5, and more appropriate on a TRUE sports car like the M3, not the 5.

I don't know, to me it's either manual or automatic. SMG makes sense for racing - a small nieche. I've driven mosly manual cars, and never needed to heel and toe into every corner on the street. I guess I grew out of that phase.
[snapback]58903[/snapback]
I cannot truly comment. I have never driven an SMG. Own a manual. But the tigtened AS is a beautiful thing.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Members

Forgot to answer about Active Steering. I don't know what the software versions were, but I drove 530 and a 545 with and without it. They had just gotten on the dealer's lot, so I assume they weren't that old. In any case I didn't like it - tightness had nothing to do with it. I don't like the whole ratio idea in practice and theory. That's just me. But my point was that I'm NOT the only one who doesn't like it, and why MUST it be part of the sports package? That's all. For such a new and "controversial" technology, I would have liked BMW to make it purely a standalone option and not force me out of the sports package because it's in there.

And BTW, I don't buy the idea that Active Steering will help you faster out of an oversteer, etc. If you know car dynamics and how to drive, you can get yourself out of an oversteer w/o Active Steerting just fine. That I have to turn the wheel less to correct and aply opposite lock is weird to me, but perhaps easier for those who don't know what they are doing. Again, how many times do you oversteer on the street and have these issues and still consider yourself a good driver worthy of driving a BMW? This is not F1 or WCR!! This is a luxury/sports sedan for STREET driving!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:48 AM
Forgot to answer about Active Steering. I don't know what the software versions were, but I drove? 530 and a 545 with and without it. They had just gotten on the dealer's lot, so I assume they weren't that old. In any case I didn't like it - tightness had nothing to do with it. I don't like the whole ratio idea in practice and theory. That's just me. But my point was that I'm NOT the only one who doesn't like it, and why MUST it be part of the sports package? That's all. For such a new and "controversial" technology, I would have liked BMW to make it purely a standalone option and not force me out of the sports package because it's in there.

And BTW, I don't buy the idea that Active Steering will help you faster out of an oversteer, etc. If you know car dynamics and how to drive, you can get yourself out of an oversteer w/o Active Steerting just fine. That I have to turn the wheel less to correct and aply opposite lock is weird to me, but perhaps easier for those who don't know what they are doing. Again, how many times do you oversteer on the street and have these issues and still consider yourself a good driver worthy of driving a BMW? This is not F1 or WCR!! This is a luxury/sports sedan for STREET driving!
[snapback]58905[/snapback]
The effect of AS is mitigated the faster you go. I really only feel it in the 90 degree turns left and right that I make at under 30mph. I think the DSC/DTC will kick in to correct your oversteer before you can. Now if you switch those off its a different story. I love to row my own but I am not that much of purist.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

IMHO a 545 must have the sports package.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

AS MAY get you out of an oversteer condition faster. The few times I experienced it, the car was dialing some opposite lock before I was going to (yes, DSC was off). It dialed it in too early IMHO but it was very Natural feeling as well. I never felt that the car was driving me. It can come in very handy for someone that is not familiar with vehicle dynamics and finds themself in an emergency situation. Same can apply for someone that is just being stupid - could save their butt as well.
At low speeds the AS is nice in the fact that I don't need to crank the wheel around a couple of times (less likely to spill the coffee pulling into/out of the coffee shop ).

People have many reasons for buying/driving the cars that they do. In my case, I am a car nut/driving enthusiast but for several reasons I need to combine my interests into ONE car. This is the car that is best suited to satisfy most, if not all, of my needs and interests. Maybe I do want to take it on the track for a performance diving school. Maybe I want to do some time trials? Maybe I like to autocross (no, a 5xxi will not beat all of the Mini's out there, but if you haven't tried it, it's a lot of fun - AND you learn a lot about the dynamics of the vehicle that you are driving).

As for SMG, I won't even get into it except to say - If you don't like it - don't get it. Looks like you won't be ahead of me in line for an M5.

And yes, the M5 doesn't have active steering. It's a sacrifice that I'll just have to make.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I had the same issue when I ordered my 545. I live in Toronto and I drive my car year round so I face the same issues you do. Many of the people on the board who recommend the sports package are Americans who don't have the same winters and snow conditions as us Canadians do, and that puts us in a particular position. How many of them would recommend the sports package on a BMW to someone living in Alaska?

In Canada the sports package only has 18" rims, sports seats and suspension, and shadow-line.

I did not order the sports package for the following reasons:

1. BMW's handle great and drive smoothly on the 17" wheels, in fact that is the size of the sports package wheels on the last 5 series. Bigger wheels also mean more chance of damage to rims, and with the pot-holes we have on Canadian roads after a cold winter that can be an issue.

2. The handling and ride are a lot more comfortable on the All-Season tires, and you have better grip in inclemental weather.

3. You will need to put winter tires on anyway. I used to live in Alberta and know what the snow there is like.

4. The sports suspension lowers the car. I own a 2002 530 now (my 2005 545 should arrive in 3 weeks) with sports suspension. Snow clearance is an issue in winter, and the slightly highter car will make a difference. My car with sports package sometimes has trouble getting up the driveway due to ice left by the snowplows when they are cleaning the roads. The ice sometimes hits the bottom of the car (and I do clear my driveway regularly).

If you plan on driving the car only in Summer on perfect roads, the sports package will give you the most out of the car. But if you plan on driving the car all-year-round, I would forego the sports package. You can get always get aftermarket wheels if you don't like the standard rims, although I feel they look fine.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Nov 20 2004, 04:10 PM
Background:? Have test driven the 545 with the sport package (18 inch rims with RFT) and without the Sport Package (17 inch rims with non-rft).? Found the ride much smoother with the non-sport package but hated the 17 inch rims.? From what I have read on the board, the ride improves with the changing of the rft, its not the sport suspenion that is the problem (please confirm).

Questions:? If it was you, would you go with the non-sport package and purchase 18 inch rims with non-rft, or would you get the sport package with the 18 rims and change out the rft for non-rft.?

What do I miss out on if I don't go with the sport package and what (if anything) should I be concerned about if I just change the rft to non-rft?? Also, because I live in Canada, I'm thinking I would need to get a second set of tires/rims for winter driving (4 months a year)
[snapback]58484[/snapback]
I have my 545i w/sports pkg for only 3 weeks, this car handles better than my 2002 330i did and its more comfortable. The ride is slightly rougher, which I'm not used to yet, but I would not give up the active steering or suspension. good luck
Old 11-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Nov 21 2004, 01:09 PM
I had the same issue when I ordered my 545.? I live in Toronto and I drive my car year round so? I face the same issues you do.? Many of the people on the board who recommend the sports package are Americans who don't have the same winters and snow conditions as us Canadians do, and that puts us in a particular position.? How many of them would recommend the sports package on a BMW to someone living in Alaska?

In Canada the sports package only has 18" rims, sports seats and suspension, and shadow-line.

I did not order the sports package for the following reasons:

1.? BMW's handle great and drive smoothly on the 17" wheels, in fact that is the size of the sports package wheels on the last 5 series.? Bigger wheels also mean more chance of damage to rims, and with the pot-holes we have on Canadian roads after a cold winter that can be an issue.

2.? The handling and ride are a lot more comfortable on the All-Season tires, and you have better grip in inclemental weather.

3.? You will need to put winter tires on anyway.? I used to live in Alberta and know what the snow there is like.

4.? The sports suspension lowers the car.? I own a 2002 530 now (my 2005 545 should arrive in 3 weeks) with sports suspension.? Snow clearance is an issue in winter, and the slightly highter car will make a difference.? My car with sports package sometimes has trouble getting up the driveway due to ice left by the snowplows when they are cleaning the roads.? The ice sometimes hits the bottom of the car (and I do clear my driveway regularly).

If you plan on driving the car only in Summer on perfect roads, the sports package will give you the most out of the car.? But if you plan on driving the car all-year-round, I would forego the sports package.? You can get always get aftermarket wheels if you don't like the standard rims, although I feel they look fine.
[snapback]58926[/snapback]
Thanks for your feedback ... I'm now thinking non-sport package, but with Active Steerling and Dynamic Drive (which will give my 17 inch rims and all season tires) then get some 18 inch rims and summer tires for the summer, because as you know, we do need summers and winters, and 18 inch all season rft just won't cut it ...
Old 11-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Nov 21 2004, 03:02 PM
AS MAY get you out of an oversteer condition faster.? The few times I experienced it, the car was dialing some opposite lock before I was going to (yes, DSC was off).? It dialed it in too early IMHO but it was very Natural feeling as well.? I never felt that the car was driving me.? It can come in very handy for someone that is not familiar with vehicle dynamics and finds themself in an emergency situation.? Same can apply for someone that is just being stupid - could save their butt as well.
At low speeds the AS is nice in the fact that I don't need to crank the wheel around a couple of times (less likely to spill the coffee pulling into/out of the coffee shop ).

People have many reasons for buying/driving the cars that they do.? In my case, I am a car nut/driving enthusiast but for several reasons I need to combine my interests into ONE car.? This is the car that is best suited to satisfy most, if not all, of my needs and interests.? Maybe I do want to take it on the track for a performance diving school.? Maybe I want to do some time trials?? Maybe I like to autocross (no, a 5xxi will not beat all of the Mini's out there, but if you haven't tried it, it's a lot of fun - AND you learn a lot about the dynamics of the vehicle that you are driving).

As for SMG, I won't even get into it except to say - If you don't like it - don't get it.? Looks like you won't be ahead of me in line for an M5.

And yes, the M5 doesn't have active steering.? It's a sacrifice that I'll just have to make.
[snapback]58923[/snapback]
Regarding AS, all I'm saying is that it would have been nice for BMW to make it just a separate option. I don't see how it makes the car more "sporty" by being in the sports package. That's all. I know that AS is a love it or leave it affair. That's fine, and to each his own obviously, but let me make that decision BMW!

If people like SMG on their 530s or 545s, fine. I'm just trying to understand WHY! So far I haven't seen anything but what I call the "cool factor" explanations. That we can now launch faster, shift faster, downshift perfectly, etc. And that may be fine. I don't care what transmission one gets as long as he/she's happy! But I have yet to see a reason other than that "cool factor". And like I've said to me it makes no sense (especiall in its crippled mode) on a 5 series really.

The M5, like the M3 is a different beast. I can't afford that car so I'm not in line anyway M3s and M5s, are really track/race cars. But of course I see plenty of them on the street and plenty of people who own them who NEVER take them to the track. I work for a large finanical insitution downtown. Where I park, I see a LOT of M5s, M3s, Porsches, and even Ferraris. And I know a lot of their owners. And they just drive those cars to and from work and never even tap their potential, which is a shame. But the cool factor is definitely there. Of course BMW knows that, and they profit from the marketing of the F1-like shift paddles (SMG) - it can make you feel like JPM or Schumacher, etc. Maybe it makes one co-worker I like to have fun with feel like that as he "speeds" down Congress street downshifting his M3's SMG from 6-1 like a maniac. I kid him about it of course.

The bottom line is, if you like it (for whatever reason), then it's good! I just wonder how these SMG transmissions are used on the street. I also have to say that IMO they aid in driver stupidity many times. I can't count the times I've seen college kids with M3's and SMGs get into accidents. Rich kids, who have no clue how to handle that power and drive what essentially is a very FAST manual tranny. Of course that's not SMGs fault, nor does it describe most owners, but you get the idea - BMW indirectly promotes or facilitiates street racing, which is dangerous.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

After driving 10 months with non sport i test drovethe stort. It was night and day. Sport all the way. y replacement car I ordered with sport and I can't wait for it.

Quick Reply: 545i - with or without the Sport Package