5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   545i SMG in Shop (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/545i-smg-shop-6589/)

bmwin14rsm 01-22-2005 12:36 PM

My transmission wouldn't come out of gear preventing it from registering Neutral. This prevented the car from starting. I am going to track my progress on this issue in the Calendar.

EBMCS03 01-22-2005 12:43 PM

In the calendar?? Can you post updates here also? I like to follow your progress... :'(

Rudy 01-22-2005 03:00 PM

I'll second the concept of updating us in the forums -- it may be awkward to use the calendar for this type of thing...

bmwin14rsm 01-23-2005 01:30 PM

Yes, I plan on updating this Thread. I am using the Calendar also so I can track when things are happening. I figured it was a good spot to keep this type of information for future use.

Iceman 01-23-2005 04:11 PM

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

bmwin14rsm 01-25-2005 10:08 AM

I received a call today with good news. My 545 is repaired and ready to pick up at the dealer. The problem wasn't a complex software problem like I thought it was. The break switch was faulty. The computer was not recognizing the break pedal as being pushed down, therefore not able to push the clutch and take the car out of gear.

Interesting a simple switch was the problem and not software. Good thing is my car received the v15 upgrade.

All is well. :D

widjajachandra 01-25-2005 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jan 25 2005, 01:08 PM
I received a call today with good news.? My 545 is repaired and ready to pick up at the dealer.? The problem wasn't a complex software problem like I thought it was.? The break switch was faulty.? The computer was not recognizing the break pedal as being pushed down, therefore not able to push the clutch and take the car out of gear.?

Interesting a simple switch was the problem and not software.? Good thing is my car received the v15 upgrade.?

All is well.? :D
[snapback]82799[/snapback]

What dealer did you fix it?

Rudy 01-25-2005 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jan 25 2005, 02:08 PM
Interesting a simple switch was the problem and not software.? Good thing is my car received the v15 upgrade.?

All is well.? :D
[snapback]82799[/snapback]

That's great news!

Gee, I wonder why there wasn't a sensor for the brake switch? :P I can see it now in my HUD: "Brake pedal switch failure!" ;) ;)

bmwin14rsm 01-25-2005 12:20 PM

I went to Irvine BMW. I only deal with Jose Hurtado in service. He really took care of me and my car.

Raj 01-26-2005 04:37 AM

Sounds like a similar problem I had this morning with my 545i SMG. Car was stuck in Neutral and would not start or would not switch gears. Had to call BMW Service and have it towed to the dealer.

They are supposed to get back to me later in the day. Hopefully it is a simple fix like a brake switch.

pughmat 01-26-2005 05:33 AM

I've recently had an odd SMG transmission problem somewhat along these lines. When I would come to a complete stop, I-Drive would display "Transmission Fault, the car has been automatically shifted to neutral." Each time I would stop at a light, the car would shift to neutral....I'd simply have to shift it over to neutral and then back to drive. Once I turned the car off and then back on again, I have not had the problem. It was annoying, but hopefully just a software hiccup. Dealer said not to worry unless it happens again.

Raj 01-26-2005 04:05 PM

Well, I got my car back this evening. They replaced something called an integrated supply module and everything is working fine now.

Not bad. Had problems this morning. Called BMW Assist/Service. They sent a tow truck and took my car to the dealer and the problem fixed by the evening. I was pretty siked.

bmwin14rsm 01-28-2005 03:45 PM

After I picked up the car on Monday, my wife was at a Hospital and it did the same thing again. Called BMW Assist and a tow truck took it back to the dealer. This time I was given a 2004 525I. Nice car. I guess the service department has opened what they called a BMW North American Service Ticket. I think they know that three times in one week is only one away from California's Lemon Law statue. I love my car though. I guess I will see what happens this time.

I have read up on the law, and after 4 times on the same thing or 30 days in the shop it is considered a lemon.

The service department attached a computer to the car and is trying to duplicate the error with this computer attached. I don't know what they are going to find, but they are looking at the Transmission Control Module. I guess the v15 upgrade didn't help this problem.

EBMCS03 01-28-2005 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jan 28 2005, 04:45 PM
After I picked up the car on Monday, my wife was at a Hospital and it did the same thing again.? Called BMW Assist and a tow truck took it back to the dealer.? This time I was given a 2004 525I.? Nice car.? I guess the service department has opened what they called a BMW North American Service Ticket.? I think they know that three times in one week is only one away from California's Lemon Law statue.? I love my car though.? I guess I will see what happens this time.?

I have read up on the law, and after 4 times on the same thing or 30 days in the shop it is considered a lemon.?

The service department attached a computer to the car and is trying to duplicate the error with this computer attached.? I don't know what they are going to find, but they are looking at the Transmission Control Module.? I guess the v15 upgrade didn't help this problem.
[snapback]84348[/snapback]

HUmmm interesting... TCM huh? Anyone have the TIS document on the Transmission Control Module? I would like to read up on it to see what it suppose to do. Maybe I can tell my dealer to swap that out to see if it fixes the Auto going into Manual mode problem...

Rudy 01-28-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 28 2005, 08:59 PM
Anyone have the TIS document on the Transmission Control Module?
[snapback]84379[/snapback]

Today is your lucky day! I just finished updating and compiling a new version of the SMG document from TIS that I posted many moons ago. You'll find the updated document right here where I originally posted it.

The new document includes all the information in the "more" links that I never posted before. Basically, with the updated information, the document went from 7 pages to over 50 pages! It's everything you've ever wanted to know about SMG! :D

As I mentioned in the post containing the download, the simplest way to navigate the document is to follow the .pdf bookmarks. The first 7 pages are all you need to view directly -- the rest of the pages will come up if you click a "more" link or use a "more information" bookmark. (The bookmarks allow you to get back to the page you were reading before clicking a more link.)

EBMCS03 01-28-2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 28 2005, 10:47 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jan 28 2005, 08:59 PM']Anyone have the TIS document on the Transmission Control Module?
[snapback]84379[/snapback]

Today is your lucky day! I just finished updating and compiling a new version of the SMG document from TIS that I posted many moons ago. You'll find the updated document right here where I originally posted it.

The new document includes all the information in the "more" links that I never posted before. Basically, with the updated information, the document went from 7 pages to over 50 pages! It's everything you've ever wanted to know about SMG! :D

As I mentioned in the post containing the download, the simplest way to navigate the document is to follow the .pdf bookmarks. The first 7 pages are all you need to view directly -- the rest of the pages will come up if you click a "more" link or use a "more information" bookmark. (The bookmarks allow you to get back to the page you were reading before clicking a more link.)
[snapback]84416[/snapback]
[/quote]

THANKS A LOT Rudy!!! :wow: :wow: :wow:

bmwin14rsm 02-01-2005 07:34 AM

I called my SA yesterday to fill him in on the status for my car. He was really cool about the possablity of having to order another car if they can't fix the transmission issue. I called him to see if the 545 is still orderable, but he said no. BMW is only allowing ordering the 550 rather than the 545. This could be cool.

beewang 02-01-2005 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 1 2005, 10:34 AM
I called my SA yesterday to fill him in on the status for my car.? He was really cool about the possablity of having to order another car if they can't fix the transmission issue.? I called him to see if the 545 is still orderable, but he said no.? BMW is only allowing ordering the 550 rather than the 545.? This could be cool.
[snapback]85579[/snapback]

That is simply not true. I read your post and called my dealer. He said he will look into this and call me back.

He called me back minutes ago and told me that altought he wasn't allocated any, but BMW gave out 463 allocations for the US market on March production 545.

463 allocations may sounds like alot, but it really isn't, you need to keep in mind that this is for the whole US market for the month of March (which will be may by the time the cars arrive in US).

cheers,

beewang :whistle:

EBMCS03 02-01-2005 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Feb 1 2005, 04:50 PM
That is simply not true. I read your post and called my dealer. He said he will look into this and call me back.

He called me back minutes ago and told me that altought he wasn't allocated any, but BMW gave out 463 allocations for the US market on March production 545.

463 allocations may sounds like alot, but it really isn't, you need to keep in mind that this is for the whole US market for the month of March (which will be may by the time the cars arrive in US).

cheers,

beewang :whistle:
[snapback]85857[/snapback]

Ok so what did you really say with all those words? That its only his dealer that doenst have any allocations for the 545? Or are those 463 cars the last of them?
What about april production slots?

beewang 02-01-2005 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Feb 1 2005, 08:24 PM
[What about april production slots?

The april productions slots (aka Allocation) will be given next month.

EBMCS03 02-01-2005 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Feb 1 2005, 09:39 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Feb 1 2005, 08:24 PM'][What about april production slots?

The april productions slots (aka Allocation) will be given next month.
[snapback]85958[/snapback]
[/quote]

No answer to the other 3 questions I asked? :lol:

bmwin14rsm 02-02-2005 04:26 AM

Thanks for checking beewang. I wonder if I can request to wait for the 550 if it isn't too far off.

I might reconsider some of my options if I have to order another car. It has been over a week with no progress on the problem.

btw, in an SMG, the manual doesn't specifically say to park the car in Neutral. What do you do?

JDN 02-02-2005 04:30 AM

I can tell you what I do. I rarely leave the car in neutral and then only with the hand brake set. That is the only gear position that allows the car to roll freely. No different than a manual stick transmission.

beewang 02-02-2005 05:12 AM

I am w/ JDN on this. Think of SMG as a manual and in that case you should always leave it in gear and then w/ hand brakes on. Come to think of it, its the same when the car is an auto. The "park" position is an "in gear" position.

Like JDN, I rarely would park the car in neutural w/ only hand brakes on. :)

On the issue of buying the car back. From the cases I've seen, you won't be in the driver seat on this. unless you can drag this out into whenever the 550 liter engine is being produce (if produced at all), then you can get the car. If this thing settles tomorrow, they are only obliged to replace your exact car. BTW, either way you lose.... as you will never recover the sales tax paid, and will be require to pay the sales tax on the new car.

bmwin14rsm 02-03-2005 06:32 AM

Good point on the sales tax. This wasn't something I was considering.

In regards to the transmission being in neutral, I am on the same thinking as both of you. I would leave the car in gear. This however with my transmission error is preventing the car from starting since the car wasn't taking the trasmission from 1 to N.

btw, No new news on the status of the car, BMW still can't figure out why it is doing this.

Guest_EBMCS03_* 02-03-2005 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 3 2005, 10:32 AM
btw, No new news on the status of the car, BMW still can't figure out why it is doing this.
[snapback]86399[/snapback]

really? what have they tried so far? are they considering swaping out and replacing a whole new SMG transmission for you?

bmwin14rsm 02-06-2005 06:24 PM

I have been told the shop has replaced the SMG control module. I think this is the SMG computer, and is awaiting a new SMG progam from Germany to install Monday 2/8/05. If this is sucessful, I might get the car back next week.

EBMCS03 02-06-2005 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 6 2005, 07:24 PM
I have been told the shop has replaced the SMG control module.? I think this is the SMG computer, and is awaiting a new SMG progam from Germany to install Monday 2/8/05.? If this is sucessful, I might get the car back next week.
[snapback]87416[/snapback]

Cool keep us posted.

bmwin14rsm 02-08-2005 05:00 PM

Didn't get the car back Monday. I talked to my SA and he is sounding concerned. The whole dealer ship management and BMW NA is aware of my car and isn't telling me much.

I guess I don't have any new info to tell, but I miss my car. The 525 I have to borrow handles great, but under powered. the 545 is a different animal. if I could afford the 545, but wanted a nice car and didn't car about the pick-up. I would really consider a 525. It is a nice car.

EBMCS03 02-08-2005 05:08 PM

HUmm so the SMG control module didnt do it?

bmwin14rsm 02-08-2005 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Feb 8 2005, 08:08 PM
HUmm so the SMG control module didnt do it?
[snapback]88032[/snapback]

I haven't herd from the service shop this week. I don't know if the solution they told me last week has worked. My guess is the program from Germany hasn't come in yet.

EBMCS03 02-08-2005 05:42 PM

Ah I C.

jyeatman 02-09-2005 09:06 AM

I had the exact same problem with my car. One morning the SMG wouldn't shift from 3rd gear. I figured pulling over and restarting the car would reset the SMG. Bad idea. The car wouldn't start because I couldn't get it into neutral. It was flat-bed towed to the dealer and after consultation with a BMW field rep, they diagnosed a bad "SMG selector assembly," whatever that is. After replacement, it has worked flawlessly (it's now been about 6 weeks). The car was in the shop for about a week.

bmwin14rsm, since our cars came in on the same ship I'm wondering if there was a bad batch of SMG components.

bmwin14rsm 02-09-2005 11:29 AM

Good point regarding the timing of our cars.

bmwin14rsm 02-10-2005 01:43 PM

I am starting to think I might be getting a new car. I am frustrated. I don't know if I want to order another car or call it quits. This is why I leased the car in the first place. I wonder if anyone else in this form has had a car replaiced by lemon law. I will have to wait and see if BMW takes care of me or not. I have been with out my car now for over 3 weeks and still no word on when they might have it done.

I keep thinking of the other cars I could get, and I still am swayed back to the 545 even with this problem. I guess customer service will tell if I want to stay with BMW. The big reason I bought my 545 was the SMG. I want the interaction with the car without worring if my wife can drive it. I have thought of a 2003 M5, but I would be stuck with the 6-speed. I was considering going to Audi and looking at the new A6, but I am not as pleased with the styling as I am with the new 5.

EBMCS03 02-10-2005 03:47 PM

If they just swap out the whole transmission wouldnt that fix the problem? I mean it kinda has to, no?

gmartin 02-10-2005 03:55 PM

Sounds like the dealership is having problems diagnosing the problem. I wonder how many E60 SMGs they have dealt with. Patience

bmwin14rsm 02-10-2005 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by gmartin' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the dealership is having problems diagnosing the problem.? I wonder how many E60 SMGs they have dealt with. Patience
[snapback]88795[/snapback]

I can tell you, Irvine BMW is now the largest BMW dealer and service shop in the LA area. I am confident they have the right people working on the car. I just think they cant find the problem.

Rudy 02-10-2005 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 10 2005, 08:40 PM
[quote name='gmartin' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:55 PM']Sounds like the dealership is having problems diagnosing the problem.? I wonder how many E60 SMGs they have dealt with. Patience
[snapback]88795[/snapback]

I can tell you, Irvine BMW is now the largest BMW dealer and service shop in the LA area. I am confident they have the right people working on the car. I just think they cant find the problem.
[snapback]88807[/snapback]
[/quote]
Both of you are saying the same thing...they are having a hard time diagnosing/finding the problem.

Clearly, SMG's are rare cars, even for busy or large dealerships. Since most of our SMG cars are working properly, it's understandable that the dealer may be struggling to get everything sorted out...

bmwin14rsm 02-10-2005 05:36 PM

I agree with you. SMG's are great works of technology and I guess if this problem happens to me so be it. I am not to worried. I have been taken care of so far.