Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Ok- saw a thread on 545/550 about this- now I'm worried- they all seem to be replacing lots of stuff at low miles? Thought it may be intreasting to hear others views on 530:
Heres my cars (a 2003, Oct build with M54 engine), running on LPG since 33000 miles, now at 100k miles:

Servicing has been done as required by OBC, by main dealer.
The car uses 0.5L of oil every 10k miles, 0.25L of water every 2k miles- I have found a slight weep on the sensor on the thermostat housing.
Front tyres changed at 75k miles, rears every 25k.
Wiper blades changed at65k.
(Not so) Intelligent battery sensor changed.
Finishing trims both rear windows changed due to corrosion

Whats others experiance?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

So far my 530 has had no mechanical issues. The last time the car was at the dealer they updated the software because the iDrive screen had gone black a few times, but they found no fault, they replaced the wiper blades, they checked the car over and that's it. I still have the CPO and Maintenance warranties until 04/11 so I should be okay for while. I still love my car, especially when I go on long road trips and see just how truly efficient it is (like getting to Las Vegas and seeing "292 mls to empty" in the range screen).

EDIT: I also have the M54 (03/2005 build)
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have a 2004 530I m54 as well, so far no mechanical issues just a bunch of electronic related issues. I've had apdaptive headlight issues (replaced one headlight unit), rear sunshade issue, burning seat warmer issue (replaced seat cover), passenger restraint issue, hvac blower issue (replaced blower motor), black screen idrive issue and various other idrive warning issues (update fixed it), leaking injector seals in extreme cold temps (replaced o rings), just this week clunk and rattle in rear suspension (replaced sway bar link). I think thats all the issues so far I've owned this car about 1 yr now and everything so far has been covered under CPO warranty.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Contributors

I have the same 03 build 530 M54 as you and so far I've had the following done since I have purchased it as a CPO in July of 2008:

1) New gaskets and grommets, they were leaking.

2) Known defect in the battery compartment where a vent allowed water to seep into it. I found the battery submerged in 5" of water one day and nearly shit my pants because all the electrical crap is right there. Dealer fixed this free. There is a BMW Bulletin about this, too. 2004 to 2006 E60's have this problem.

3) Sparks changed, I did this myself and got some NGK Iridium sparks. They made an immediate difference in power and fuel consumption and I did it at 60K miles.

4) Rear brake pads, rotors, and front pads changed.

5) BMW's fuel injector cleaning service. I noticed immediate improvement, (regardless of what some may think about its usefulness). I also didn't have to pay as my dealer was nice enough to do it for free.

6) Steering wheel was replaced since the heating element in it failed.

7) My damn volume knob broke. Thank god for the steering wheel controls. I won't fix this as it costs too much.

8) New battery was needed at 65k miles.

9) Recall on defective seat heater coil.

10) Loose connection behind dash for air conditioner sensor.

11) Busted cup holder, (bottom part). Piece of shit.

Nothing else major except for regular maintenance like changing oil every 7,000 miles with ONLY BMW full synthetic, always using 93 octane Shell gas, and always babying the shit out of my car to the point of lunacy.

That is all. Love my car, love this forum, love you guys. Merry Christmas. =P
Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Members

Same here..

04 530i SMG, sports package

Love the car, and haven't had any MAJOR problems..

The only real issue I've had with the car is with these rims.. I have 123s on it, and have gone through 3 bent rims ever since I've had it, and I'm not a crazy @ss driver.. I dont get it.

Another issue: sometimes when I accelerate between 4-5k rpm, it hesitates. Only happens sometimes.. when I put it in sports mode, it doesnt happen.. I can't figure this out. I tried the tranny reset, plugs, nothing. Doesn't really bother me much anymore.

Aside from that, I've done most maintenance myself thanks to all the DIYs:

Front and rear brakes and rotors (DIY)

oil changes every 7-8k (DIY)
- My car uses about .5 qt every 5k or so, I'm guessing this is normal.

spark plugs ($18 for all 6 Bosch plugs at pep boys with thier buy one get one free special) (DIY)

new interstate battery (DIY)

tires etc.. (NT

Coolant has been good, no warnings.. but i've had the car for over 2 years and have never checked.. I should do that soon.

What I plan on doing soon:

Tranny drain and fill
Coolant flush
Differential flush

and yes, these cup holders are a POS..

Trying my best to keep this car stock, as I love the look, but no one on this forum has been a good influence.. lol

71k on it, still running strong..
Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

From all the posts above me, these seem to be early model E60s and some hiccups are to be expected as cars age. I wouldn't fret over it. Once you get the gremlins out, you should look forward to many more years of happy motoring.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1076509' date='Dec 19 2009, 12:13 PM
From all the posts above me, these seem to be early model E60s and some hiccups are to be expected as cars age. I wouldn't fret over it. Once you get the gremlins out, you should look forward to many more years of happy motoring.
Thanks to all for the comments- dont get me wrong- I've owned my car for 70k+ miles/2.75 years- the longest I've ever owned a car- I'm very happy with it. Its the only car I've had where I still go and look at it and drool still(sad person), and would only replace it with a newer one. I'm just intreasted in hearing others experiences, happy motoring to all.

Ps- add to list- IBS gone again today (secondhand one prev fitted, biting the bullet and now buying new- ?195 on ebay, ?126 at dealer guess which one I'm going 4?)

Pps- how do i turn on info at the bottom of the window giving my details?