Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

525xi w/6 speed manual - opinions and input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Well, I just got back from the dealership and had a great experience. I got to drive several cars which helped tremendously in my decision making.

So, I drove a 530xiT first, and it's perfect for my needs, but too expensive (even though they were willing to deal on these pretty aggressively - apparently the wagons are not "catching on" as the salesperson put it).

I then drove a 325xi, since I am also considering those. It does seem the most fun, due largely to the manual trannie, but I can't deny that it is a little small for the family.

Then took a 525xi (step) out and really liked it, but was kind of longing for the manual trannie. So the salesperson surprised me by saying that she thought they had a 525xi with the manual on the lot. Because these seem so rare, I doubted her, but sure enough, they had a black/auburn with the sport package and a bunch of other options.

I took that out and I'm definitely leaning that way. A great combination of an engaging driving experience along with room for my tall family.

A question though - this one seemed to ride a tad rougher than the one I drove previously. The salesperson claimed it to be due to the sports package - I know there's no difference in the suspension on the xi models, but didn't feel like correcting her. This did have the optional "upgrade" wheels and tires though. Since they are summer tires and larger (I believe, right?), could that have been the difference?

Anyway, this one was probably too loaded for my tastes, and I definitely want a light color. So, as mentioned previously, they do have a white/beige one coming in with only leather (no premium) and heated seats. Probably one of the cheapest 5's around, huh?

With all that said, I am still considering the steptronic. Part of me thinks it fits the character of the 5, and it is indeed a great automatic. If I went this route, they have three in color combos I like (white, silver and silver grey, all with grey interior), all equipped similarly, at around $50k. All three of these also do not have the start/stop button, so if I understand correctly, these probably have been in inventory for awhile, right? Perhaps there's potential for a more aggressive deal on these.

Sorry for the long ranting, but the wheels are just spinning like crazy in my head . I'm heavily leaning toward the 5 over the 3, but now contemplating manual vs. auto, white vs. silver, sport pkg or no sport pkg.........