Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

5 Series xDrive intro

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

BMW will introduce xDrive in the 5 Series at the N.A. International Auto Show in Detroit in just 3 weeks!. Step right up! Get your AWD 5er!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Good topic for a poll. Who wants one, or would the AWD change the handling characteristics too much and interfere with the driving experience?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I Titanium Silver Metallic / Black Leather / Poplar Grain Wood Trim /Automatic Cold Weather Package / Heated Rear Seats / Xenon Headlights / Sirius Satellite Radio Leather Selector Lever w/Wood Inlay / Wood E-Brake Handle / Red Rear Reflectors / BMW All Weather Mats / BMW All Weather Trunk Liner / LoJack Anti-theft System

Thought about it, especially here in New York but for the $2,000 or so it's going to add - i'd rather put on a good set of snows or spend that on the sport package. I mean i'd rather have pure driving bliss 360 days of the year instead of playing it safe the 5 days it actually snows.

If i lived in vermont I might be thinking differently but then again i wouldnt be buying a 5-series.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

It hardly snows here in the UK, and i will take the RWD over 4WD anyday.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

I wouldnt hold my breath for an AWD 530xi, if given the opportunity once again.

I had a MY2001 330xi, and found it to be sluggish and rough on the highways.
Wasnt any help in the rain either. I put the AWD in use two days of the year!
Although I know they have made a lot of revisions to the xdrive. All depends to how much it snows, I dont think it would make ANY everyday difference in driving. I agree with some of the other posts - I would take RWD over AWD anyday!, coming from experience.

Spend the money on all season/or winter tires. Save gas consumption, save weight = performance.

Honestly, my 330xi, was same in performance as a 320i... not sure if anyone else experienced the same? plus, found it to drift a lot. I didnt quite feel like a RWD BMW does!...

So, I went to a 2001 E39 530i, loved it!, then an E60 530i about a few months ago, LOVE IT!

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

If you want 4 wheel drive, get an Audi. They are awesome cars, and nobody comes close to their refinement in quattro drive. The only reason I bought my BMW is because of the performance and handling over the Audi's. 4 wheel drive is just not much fun - I've had Audi quattro's for 19 years.

Why would you take the best handling sedan on the road, add 200 lbs, screw up the 50/50 weight distribution, dull the steering, raise the center of gravity and take away the ability to steer with the throttle? Oh, and charge more. ???? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, e60beast !
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:25 PM
If you want 4 wheel drive, get an Audi.? They are awesome cars, and nobody comes close to their refinement in quattro drive.? The only reason I bought my BMW is because of the performance and handling over the Audi's.? 4 wheel drive is just not much fun - I've had Audi quattro's for 19 years.

Why would you take the best handling sedan on the road, add 200 lbs, screw up the 50/50 weight distribution, dull the steering, raise the center of gravity and take away the ability to steer with the throttle?? Oh, and charge more.? ????? Doesn't make sense to me.
[snapback]69730[/snapback]
My wifte likes the new A6, but I'm still thinking the 545 is the car for me, we have snow 4 months of the year, your thoughts?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 19 2004, 07:25 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:25 PM']If you want 4 wheel drive, get an Audi.? They are awesome cars, and nobody comes close to their refinement in quattro drive.? The only reason I bought my BMW is because of the performance and handling over the Audi's.? 4 wheel drive is just not much fun - I've had Audi quattro's for 19 years.

Why would you take the best handling sedan on the road, add 200 lbs, screw up the 50/50 weight distribution, dull the steering, raise the center of gravity and take away the ability to steer with the throttle?? Oh, and charge more.? ????? Doesn't make sense to me.
[snapback]69730[/snapback]
My wifte likes the new A6, but I'm still thinking the 545 is the car for me, we have snow 4 months of the year, your thoughts?
[snapback]70621[/snapback]
[/quote]

the Audi 6 is my list of car that I need to own. I dont know how soon! but i heard that audi interior -- leather is superior to our bmw and bnz
Old 12-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Canada545

My final candidates were the 530i or the new A6 3.2. I selected the 530i b/c I felt the car was more dynamic and fun-to-drive. I am also a bit concerned about the 5 series snow performance, but thought it would be worth a try. I deal with a 70 mile commute & we have b/w 10-14 snow storms in my part of CT. The streets are generally pretty clear the next day though.

I will put snows on the std 17" rims. I doubt the car will be as good as my X5 or my past Audis (better than the X5), but hopefully better than the avg. FWD car w/o snow tires. Comments from existing owners have been reassuring. I was surprised though when I told a few co-workers about changing from the X5 to the 530i. They thought I was crazy to go to RWD car (albeit I think technology has improved from their point of reference).

Ultimately, how much snow and how big of a commute? Are the road pretty dry & clear b/w storms? The A6 w/ snow tires is a great combination for bad weather, but won't be as much fun-to-drive. I really like the look of the new A6, but feel the car is still front heavy with less communicative steering. I think the car does everything well, but doesn't have the overall synergy of the 5 series. I would also expect some first year gremlins with the Audi. I really like Audi's , but had my share of issues with the first model year (A6 and S4). Good luck in what you decide.

Quick Reply: 5 Series xDrive intro