Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

2006 bmw 530i interior has a bad odor! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi All,

Had my car since January.

Lately, my car has started smelling bad...almost like the airconditioner stinks. Making the whole car stink. BMW says filter is fine. What can I do.

I tried Arm and Hammer open boxes to try and capture odor.

I have Febreezed whole trunk and car.

I have never left any food or ANYTHING in the car to do this. Completely empty car....

BMW wants to charge 170 dollars to clean out the air system...trying to get them to pay for it...

Any advice?

JK
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's supposed to be cover by warranty. There is SIB on this issue. Please search under Dealer... forum here posted by cobradav
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

My air conditioner also blow stink air when the car was new. It went away after few months.

I remember there was a Poll about this issue. I guess many people had the problem.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Maybe you hit some kind of animal (like a skunk?) and it stuck somewhere? Just a guess, it happened once to my friend, he hit a squirrel and part of it stuck between the exhaust and heat shield. It started to stink pretty bad after some time. Took a while to figure it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

I read somewhere that you can simply run AC on full for 5 minutes and then run hottest air on full for 5 minutes and it should flush things out; might have been on another forum or autopia.

Try and it and let us know if that works (note - honestly I don't recall if hot then cold or vice versa, sorry).
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

No luck, the smell remains. Its been frebreezed, and now will go in for the 170 cleaning. I am willign to pay half the price for them to clean the car since i have the car another 2.5 years

I have to live with this, and even my friends say it stinks... so no more fish smelling interior for moi...

I wonder how under water i am to trade to another 5 out of this lease...impossible?

Most likely...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='313220' date='Jul 20 2006, 02:10 PM
I read somewhere that you can simply run AC on full for 5 minutes and then run hottest air on full for 5 minutes and it should flush things out; might have been on another forum or autopia.

Try and it and let us know if that works (note - honestly I don't recall if hot then cold or vice versa, sorry).
The procedure is right here in this forum. Don't dispare. The procedure works. Search for "AC odor" or just "odor." If you can't find it, PM me. I think it's the second time I posted the simple procedure to this forum. Odor be gone . . . guaranteed or you give me your car. No seriously, the procedure works.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've checked with our experts regarding this issue. This is an industry wide problem caused by humid conditions. Moisture that condenses on the evaporator can provide an environment favorable to microorganisms drawn in either from the outside air, or from inside the passenger compartment (particularly from food or pets). This can cause a musty odor, when the air conditioner is first switched ON.

Using a specially designed tool, your BMW center can chemically clean the evaporator and evaporator box with disinfectant. However, while this can solve the odor problem for an extended period, it is not a permanent fix because the microorganisms can grow again due to the humidity in the air.

BMW recommends that you leave the A/C ON continuously (snowflake button on your A/C panel) to help prevent this situation from happening repeatedly.

Our engineers are still testing further options, but nothing new is anticipated for the immediate future. If you have additional questions or would like our assistance, you can reach us at 800-831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='316322' date='Jul 28 2006, 07:54 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've checked with our experts regarding this issue. This is an industry wide problem caused by humid conditions. Moisture that condenses on the evaporator can provide an environment favorable to microorganisms drawn in either from the outside air, or from inside the passenger compartment (particularly from food or pets). This can cause a musty odor, when the air conditioner is first switched ON.

Using a specially designed tool, your BMW center can chemically clean the evaporator and evaporator box with disinfectant. However, while this can solve the odor problem for an extended period, it is not a permanent fix because the microorganisms can grow again due to the humidity in the air.

BMW recommends that you leave the A/C ON continuously (snowflake button on your A/C panel) to help prevent this situation from happening repeatedly.

Our engineers are still testing further options, but nothing new is anticipated for the immediate future. If you have additional questions or would like our assistance, you can reach us at 800-831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Good to see you explainig stuff here and not just posting contact phone numbers and ref numbers.

Anyways, this is very true, but leaving the A/C on doesn't automatically prevent the system from the bad odor. Some people are lucky and have no problems at all, some need to get the system cleaned from time to time. It all depends on where you live at (climate).
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I

With all due respect, contrary to the previous advice, I believe you can avoid the problem by switching off the compressor (snowflake button) several minutes before shutting down the engine (the fan must continue to run). That allows the moisture to be blown off the evaporator coil. Bacteria have difficulty growing in dry environments.

I previously lived in a high humidity state (Wisconsin). This was a problem with almost any brand of auto.

Quick Reply: 2006 bmw 530i interior has a bad odor! HELP!