Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

2005 545 Repair Experience Post Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you have an automatic, I'd get a warranty. I have an 05 545i with M6 and didn't...checkbook's my warranty.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I also have a 2005 545i and its 68K on it now.

Here is what I experienced so far:

1. Control Arms were inspected and need to be replaced (car in the shop now)
2. Spark plugs ( it's not mandatory but I did it cause felt car vibrated at idle )
3. Check if you have any software updates that u can do. Particularly, tranny update. I don't know if you feel slight jerk at the stop - i do. Car is in the shop now for that, too.
4. All other maintaince - like brake fluid flush etc. I had to to pay for all that.
5. Check your rims (especially if you have sport package with 124 style rims). Mine was cracked on one side. It's very common for these cars
6. Door seals. Look if any of them are worn out and replace. Mine is cracked on passenger side and dealer wants $650 just for one door. I am planning to do it myself better.
7. Steering coulmn makes noise when going up and down at start. I don't think is common issue but if you feel anything wrong there do it before too late.

Well, that's all I can think of now.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Auto, Sport Package, NAV, Active Steering

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='808309' date='Mar 5 2009, 01:25 PM
I also have a 2005 545i and its 68K on it now.

Here is what I experienced so far:

1. Control Arms were inspected and need to be replaced (car in the shop now)
2. Spark plugs ( it's not mandatory but I did it cause felt car vibrated at idle )
3. Check if you have any software updates that u can do. Particularly, tranny update. I don't know if you feel slight jerk at the stop - i do. Car is in the shop now for that, too.
4. All other maintaince - like brake fluid flush etc. I had to to pay for all that.
5. Check your rims (especially if you have sport package with 124 style rims). Mine was cracked on one side. It's very common for these cars
6. Door seals. Look if any of them are worn out and replace. Mine is cracked on passenger side and dealer wants $650 just for one door. I am planning to do it myself better.
7. Steering coulmn makes noise when going up and down at start. I don't think is common issue but if you feel anything wrong there do it before too late.

Well, that's all I can think of now.

Thanks for the feedback... I have an appointment tomorrow to check the slight jerk when coming to a full stop (I will be curious as to what your dealer tells you). I also have an occasional erratic idling issues when the car is in neutral. The steering column noise, I have that too. It sounds like a clunk and it does it whenever I crank the car or shut off the ignition.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 AM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

Originally Posted by fheatl' post='808319' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback... I have an appointment tomorrow to check the slight jerk when coming to a full stop (I will be curious as to what your dealer tells you). I also have an occasional erratic idling issues when the car is in neutral. The steering column noise, I have that too. It sounds like a clunk and it does it whenever I crank the car or shut off the ignition.
I have had a similar clunk since I purchased the vehicle and have had it looked at by two dealerships without any resolution. At this point I have learned to live with it. I also am in the same boat with my CPO warranty set to expire in Nov 09 and have looked into extended warranty's. Overall it seemed like most were close to $4k which for me probably is just not worth it.

I am going to just keeping doing the preventative maintenance and do as much work myself.