Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

172M Alloy Wheel Reburb Gone Wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='545762' date='Mar 16 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks! Is that ?600 + vat for the pair of fronts? If so not as bad as I thought!
No, that was all 4 hubs but naively expecting $2 to ?1 + tax... It would probably be more...
Old 03-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Hi Palmo

I've totalled one Rear this evening along with one of my new rear tyres and a front tyre, I'll be looking into the cost of a new rear rim at the very least if it cant be repaired, I'll post more tomorrow.

On the subject of repairs, I had my front wheel refurbed at the BMW dealer and it came back with an ok match but the surface was rougher than the new rim finish, I did not realise this till weeks later when grime was more difficult to remove from that one wheel, it was as if the paint was left to dry in the middle of the workshop and dust had settled before the laquer coat had been applied. I paid ?75 and wont be doing that again, their is no excuse for shoddy workmanship.

I can imagine the painshop manager saying ... ' oh it's only a couple of alloys, give them to Johnny it will be good experience for him, lets face it he has yet to paint anything and he's been here for 2 weeks fresh from school '

Dealerships make me angry, next time the local mobile man is being tried, at ?35 a wheel I'm thinking he must be a good alternative.

Edit: Just checked the Price List I have here, It's telling me ?780/set for the 172's including space saver and tools, I believe this price is for when you buy the car and have 172's as an extra so not sure of individual prices.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Well.....finally managed to get my wheel problem sorted out - but not without further hassle!

The Bodyshop Manager called me to say that they could not achieve a better finish than what they had already done - TBH this is absolutely ridiculous from a main dealer, but........... Anyway, just as I was about to go 'ape' with him (well I'd probably already started TBH) he offered that he would be willing to exchange my wheels for a pair taken from a nearly new demonstrator (of which they have many). I agreed to this as long as they were 'mint' which was agreed.

I now have a pair of front wheels taken from a 12 day old car that had covered 600 miles. My tyres have covered 20k+ miles and so are just over half worn, I offered to contribute to keeping the 'new tyres' on the replacement rims but they would not allow that, and so my tyres were swapped onto these rims. Only problem was that they marked the rims in several places changing them (as I had feared). There is a slight 'chip' near the centre cap on one which I saw immediately (I reckon this was done on the balancing machine by the technician been too heavy handed). He agreed to supply a touch-up with perfectly matching paint which I accepted - after all it is very minor.

However, what I did not realise when leaving (as the wheels were dirty and it was pouring with rain) was that there were fine scratches almost all the way around each wheel where I think the tyre changing machine must have been set too close to the rim and was catching! This really infuriates me TBH.

The good new is that I worked on the wheels over the weekend with cutting compound and polish and have managed to get rid of 99.99% of the marks, in other words they are now virtually mint. The best part is that I was not charged for the wheel refurb and so these wheels were provided FOC - too right as well with the mess they made changing the tyres.

Anyway, I'm now happy they look excellent again.....all's well that ends well as they say....!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='550505' date='Mar 25 2008, 09:49 AM
Well.....finally managed to get my wheel problem sorted out - but not without further hassle!

The Bodyshop Manager called me to say that they could not achieve a better finish than what they had already done - TBH this is absolutely ridiculous from a main dealer, but........... Anyway, just as I was about to go 'ape' with him (well I'd probably already started TBH) he offered that he would be willing to exchange my wheels for a pair taken from a nearly new demonstrator (of which they have many). I agreed to this as long as they were 'mint' which was agreed.

I now have a pair of front wheels taken from a 12 day old car that had covered 600 miles. My tyres have covered 20k+ miles and so are just over half worn, I offered to contribute to keeping the 'new tyres' on the replacement rims but they would not allow that, and so my tyres were swapped onto these rims. Only problem was that they marked the rims in several places changing them (as I had feared). There is a slight 'chip' near the centre cap on one which I saw immediately (I reckon this was done on the balancing machine by the technician been too heavy handed). He agreed to supply a touch-up with perfectly matching paint which I accepted - after all it is very minor.

However, what I did not realise when leaving (as the wheels were dirty and it was pouring with rain) was that there were fine scratches almost all the way around each wheel where I think the tyre changing machine must have been set too close to the rim and was catching! This really infuriates me TBH.

The good new is that I worked on the wheels over the weekend with cutting compound and polish and have managed to get rid of 99.99% of the marks, in other words they are now virtually mint. The best part is that I was not charged for the wheel refurb and so these wheels were provided FOC - too right as well with the mess they made changing the tyres.

Anyway, I'm now happy they look excellent again.....all's well that ends well as they say....!

Glad to hear you got things resolved....