5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   172M Alloy Wheel Reburb Gone Wrong! (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/172m-alloy-wheel-reburb-gone-wrong-52059/)

Palmo 03-16-2008 06:09 AM

As posted in another thread, I've done 21.5k miles from new without a mark. Then a few weeks ago I went to visit a relative in hospital & the car park entrance was unbelievable..... at least 10 inch kerbs at both sides on a bend & so tight. A queue of cars following meant I couldn't reverse out of the car park, so was committed to going in. Ended up with 3 people watching & the car simply wouldn't make the turn despite shunting back & forth (about 10 attempts). Did manage it in the end but managed to graze both front 172's in the process- gutted. In the great scheme of things the damage was only minor - 1 wheel had about a 5 inch 'scuff', and the other about a 1 inch 'chip'.

Anyway, I dropped both the front wheels off on Friday to be repaired at my local dealers and was told they would be repaired 'as new'. Went to pick them up later and 'OH MY GOD' they are terrible. Both had only minor grazes but somehow there are rubbing down marks all over & it looks like a bucket of sand was mixed with the paint before spraying. They touched up the damaged areas only, not the entire wheels - which is fine if the finish was good enough. To be honest the colour match is perfect, just not the finish! Ended up going ape with them & refused to accept them - so they are going to have another go.....I cannot believe the mess they have made - and a BMW approved bodyshop at that. Even overspray all over the tyres! Apparently they broke the tyre bead but didn't cover the tyres.....!

So waiting to pick them up tomorrow evening.....must admit to being really peed off with this as the damage was really only minor, but me being me wanted it putting right. They certainly look worse now than they did when I dropped them off! If they are no better finished when I go to collect tomorrow what do people reckon my rights are? Do you think I am reasonable to insist on a new pair of wheels? Apart from the 'minor damage' they were both unmarked. I even took the wheels off the car and dropped them off to make the job easier (and to ensure no damage to my car, as has previously been the case on past visits to the dealership). I also cleaned the wheels perfectly prior to dropping them off (note I didn't use any polishes etc) to ensure they had the best chance of coming out with a good finish. They are charging ?65+ VAT each which totals ?152.75 all in, so IMHO not cheap, certainly not for this level of finish. What do people think? Wish I had tried one of the local 'mobile guys' now but thought I had a better guarantee of finish using the approved bodyshop!

ITNurse 03-16-2008 07:14 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Did you take picture documentation of the scrapes before you handed them over initially? If you did, will definitely help if the work they do isn't as expected.

Good Luck!

Palmo 03-16-2008 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='545657' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Did you take picture documentation of the scrapes before you handed them over initially? If you did, will definitely help if the work they do isn't as expected.

Good Luck!

No I didn't - kicking myself now. Never crossed my mind there would be an issue when using an approved BMW Main Dealer Bodyshop! There's loads of posts on here where people have simply used local mobile wheel repairers and have had great results. I simply thought using my main dealer would guarantee an 'as new' finish (as promised) and was willing to pay a little extra for the peace of mind - I take a pride in keeping my car prestine at all times (as many on here do).

Guess I will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings when I collect them around 16:00 tomorrow - just pre-empting the worst I guess!

westcoast550 03-16-2008 08:13 AM

I curbed my 172,s on my last car and they were repaired faultlessly for $125. The guy who repaired your wheels must have been a rookie, this type of repair is very simple.

Good luck !

Palmo 03-16-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='545669' date='Mar 16 2008, 04:13 PM
I curbed my 172,s on my last car and they were repaired faultlessly for $125. The guy who repaired your wheels must have been a rookie, this type of repair is very simple.

Good luck !

This is what I mean - I've never read of anyone else having problems - just people with similar comments to yours!

My dealers bodyshop is not a 'small, back street garage' but a big concern! I can't believe their Quality of Worksmanship (or lack of) if this is anything to go on. Thank God I'm not having any major body repair work done there. When I complained and spoke to the manager, he didn't really acknowledge the problem at first - it was as if he thought the job was OK. Only when I really pushed did he accept that what I was saying was correct. When I suggested the job had been rushed he point blank rejected this, but when I asked what other explanation there was he was unable to answer!

I am so annoyed..... Hope this gets resolved because no way can the wheels go back on the car in the state they were in on Friday and I certainly can't afford a pair of new ones at the moment.

Out of interest, anyone got any idea what these retail at in the UK?

snkpkp 03-16-2008 10:18 AM

some times the repair workers forget how much we cherish our cars and how much importance it is needed to do a job like this , I am sure it will be fine when you pick them up this time around. Those are some nice wheels you got there......good luck!

Palmo 03-16-2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='545726' date='Mar 16 2008, 06:18 PM
some times the repair workers forget how much we cherish our cars and how much importance it is needed to do a job like this , I am sure it will be fine when you pick them up this time around. Those are some nice wheels you got there......good luck!

Hope so! It shouldn't matter so much but somehow it does.....

info@trinityautosport 03-16-2008 11:05 AM

sorry to hear about that man. hope its better when you go to pick them up again.

colejl 03-16-2008 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='545672' date='Mar 16 2008, 04:23 PM
Out of interest, anyone got any idea what these retail at in the UK?

RealOEM lists the 172's at $560 for pair of fronts and $640 for a pair of rears. At best they'd retail in the UK for ?600+VAT.

Palmo 03-16-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by colejl' post='545754' date='Mar 16 2008, 07:24 PM
RealOEM lists the 172's at $560 for pair of fronts and $640 for a pair of rears. At best they'd retail in the UK for ?600+VAT.

Thanks! Is that ?600 + vat for the pair of fronts? If so not as bad as I thought!