Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

100K Warranty - What Does It Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 06:37 PM
Members

Thumbs down

Hey everyone,

I bought my '04 E60 and found out that it has the 100K warranty from BMW (original owner got it). I am coming fairly close to that 100K mile mark, and I am wondering what the warranty covers. I have owned a BMW (E46) before, but never had the BMW warranty.

I did not buy the E60 from a BMW dealer,

I tried getting the oil changed using the warranty but the dealer told me "You're not within the mile range for an oil change".

Does anyone know what the warranty covers? Someone please help me out with this.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2007 | 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='420022' date='May 1 2007, 09:37 PM
Hey everyone,

I bought my '04 E60 and found out that it has the 100K warranty from BMW (original owner got it). I am coming fairly close to that 100K mile mark, and I am wondering what the warranty covers. I have owned a BMW (E46) before, but never had the BMW warranty.

I tried getting the oil changed using the warranty but the dealer told me "You're not within the mile range for an oil change".

Does anyone know what the warranty covers? Someone please help me out with this.

Thanks!
If it is a BMW warranty the dealer should be able to provide you a copy of the contract. As for the oil change, there is a difference between an extended warranty and extended maintenance. The waranty generally covers the mechanical system but is somewhat lacking on the electronics side. The extended maintenance package will generally mimic the free service you get with a new car, oil changes etc.

As for the dealer's comment that the car was not within the mile range, hard to tell. Could either be beyond the 4 yr/50,000 maintenance coverage and you'll have to pay youself, or the car has the extended maintenance as well but they are telling you that the car's computer/mileage is telling them you are not due yet.

The warranty and maintenance are two seperate packages and you need to clarify if you have one or both.
Old 05-01-2007 | 08:17 PM
Members

Thanks for your reply...

I just checked my paperwork (the Vehicle History Report from the dealer) and it shows...

"Full Maintenance 100,000"

The dealer told me that the iDrive computer is telling them the car is not due for the service yet... the thing is, the next time the car will be due for service (according to iDrive) it will no longer be under warranty (it'll be over 100K miles on the car).

Thus, I'm trying to figure out what (if anything) I can try to get done on my E60 in the next couple thousand miles that I have left before I hit 100K...

I am on a fairly tight budget with my E60, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong...

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='420029' date='May 1 2007, 11:00 PM
If it is a BMW warranty the dealer should be able to provide you a copy of the contract. As for the oil change, there is a difference between an extended warranty and extended maintenance. The waranty generally covers the mechanical system but is somewhat lacking on the electronics side. The extended maintenance package will generally mimic the free service you get with a new car, oil changes etc.

As for the dealer's comment that the car was not within the mile range, hard to tell. Could either be beyond the 4 yr/50,000 maintenance coverage and you'll have to pay youself, or the car has the extended maintenance as well but they are telling you that the car's computer/mileage is telling them you are not due yet.

The warranty and maintenance are two seperate packages and you need to clarify if you have one or both.
Old 05-01-2007 | 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='420022' date='May 1 2007, 10:37 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Warranty does not cover maintenance such as oil changes. You need to refer to the contract.
Old 05-01-2007 | 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='420059' date='May 2 2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for your reply...

I just checked my paperwork (the Vehicle History Report from the dealer) and it shows...

"Full Maintenance 100,000"

The dealer told me that the iDrive computer is telling them the car is not due for the service yet... the thing is, the next time the car will be due for service (according to iDrive) it will no longer be under warranty (it'll be over 100K miles on the car).

Thus, I'm trying to figure out what (if anything) I can try to get done on my E60 in the next couple thousand miles that I have left before I hit 100K...

I am on a fairly tight budget with my E60, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong...

Any ideas?
OK, so it appears from the report you don't have an extended warranty. I suppose that if you aren't due for an oil change or service based on the computer, there isn't anything else covered.
Old 05-02-2007 | 04:52 AM
Members

What about brakes? I know mine covers pads and rotors. Windshield Wipers?
Old 05-02-2007 | 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='420158' date='May 2 2007, 07:52 AM
What about brakes? I know mine covers pads and rotors. Windshield Wipers?
If yours covers brakes, it sounds like the extended maintenance which should cover wipres as well. Brakes, barring some failure, are considered a "wear and tear" item that should fall under maintenance. But I have not read the fine print on the extended maint. offering...
Old 05-02-2007 | 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='420171' date='May 2 2007, 06:28 AM
If yours covers brakes, it sounds like the extended maintenance which should cover wipres as well. Brakes, barring some failure, are considered a "wear and tear" item that should fall under maintenance. But I have not read the fine print on the extended maint. offering...
Depends on how many miles the computer tells you that you have to go before you are "due" for an oil change. If you drive the crap out of the car for the next few weeks or however long you have-you may knock that number down signifigantly. For example I got a new 07 530i and the initial oil change told me it was at 15k. Then 2 weeks later-after hard driving-that dropped to 11k. Then after about another 4 weeks of hard driving it is now sitting pretty at 8k. I now have 6200miles on so it dropped pretty quick with hard driving so you can try that! Not sure that is worth it in the long run if you are planning to keep the car however. I am on 3 year lease so to me I do not care but longevity of the engine would seem to be compromised by driving the crap out of a 90k plus mileage car.