The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

The XF pussy cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1035207' date='Oct 18 2009, 03:34 PM
It really isn't. The build quality on the latest generation XK is absolutely fine. I tested a couple of them, and actually had one on order at one point, when I got my last two cars.
I have to respectfully disagree. When we bought one for our dealership, the leather had separated from the dash and was warped. We brought the car to the dealer and they had to replace then ENTIRE dash, costing $6000. Thankfully under warranty. The service rep said that it was a common issue and he had just done the same with another XK, and had 3 more in line with the SAME issue. 3 more! The carpeted panels in the trunk are all loose because Jag never thought of securing them with clips. The hood on the car doesn't even close properly on the car half of the time. There rear brake light on the trunk is separating from the spoiler, I have checked EVERY SINGLE XK I have seen at the auctions, and they ALL have that issue.

So, yes, the build quality is horrendous.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1035211' date='Oct 18 2009, 12:41 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. When we bought one for our dealership, the leather had separated from the dash and was warped. We brought the car to the dealer and they had to replace then ENTIRE dash, costing $6000. Thankfully under warranty. The service rep said that it was a common issue and he had just done the same with another XK, and had 3 more in line with the SAME issue. 3 more! The carpeted panels in the trunk are all loose because Jag never thought of securing them with clips. The hood on the car doesn't even close properly on the car half of the time. There rear brake light on the trunk is separating from the spoiler, I have checked EVERY SINGLE XK I have seen at the auctions, and they ALL have that issue.

So, yes, the build quality is horrendous.
And I have to again respectfully disagree. The build quality in general is just fine. Jag is also doing relatively well in the owner surveys these days, most particularly the 3 year ownership survey. I know it's easy to throw out old stereotypes with Jag, but these days they're much less applicable than they used to be.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by studavis' post='1031997' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:01 AM
Had to take the wife's rover in for service, and ended up driving the new Jag XF supercharged. I got on it as much as the sales dude would let me, but I was struck at how the car drove, and the fit and finish of it. Truly impressive, especially when you consider 68k gets you 470 horsepower AND COMFORT ACCESS IS INCLUDED AT NO CHARGE.
I had a very favorable impressuon of the XF Supercharged when I test drove it before I got my 550. But I really wanted the 550 and just did not trust that the Jag would be reliable. And although it handled well and was considerably more powerful than the 550, its handling was not quite as sharp as the 550.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1035218' date='Oct 18 2009, 04:00 PM
And I have to again respectfully disagree. The build quality in general is just fine. Jag is also doing relatively well in the owner surveys these days, most particularly the 3 year ownership survey. I know it's easy to throw out old stereotypes with Jag, but these days they're much less applicable than they used to be.
I again, respectfully disagree

I know what I saw, I know what the service rep said. No argument there. If SO many Jags have this problem, it's not a coincidence, and not subjective... It's just poor build quality.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Update...drove the xfr tonight with the wife. Almost had to take the sales dude to the hospital as he might have experienced a minor MI. There are a few subtle exterior changes that identify the r, until you get in and hit the power button. This car flats screams. On paper, it may be a shade slower than the M5, but my god is it smooth. I have never been one to complain about the austerity of the BMW interiors. I love my 550i's, but the jag is almost in a different era. Yes, it has a lot of gimmicky stuff, like the vent covers on the dash that open up, and the gear shift that ascends out of the console, but the lighting is a soft modern blue, and the car has a real airplane feel to it. The center console does have the look of a plane's cockpit, and going from the idrive to a touch screen and console buttons is going to take some getting used to. But all of this aside, when you push the go fast pedal, wowsa.....words fail to adequately represent the car's forward velocity. I would make the comparison of the M5 a top fuel dragster run, vs the catapult shot of an aircraft carrier. Both push you into the seat and snap your head, but the jag is just plain smoother. The XFR is about 6 grand cheaper than the m5, and the only thing you can get on an m5 that the jag does not offer is a hud system. But check out the list of standard options on the jag, there is just one, and that is to delete the adaptive cruise system...funny on the XF supercharged, it is a 2200 option. When you delete is from the XKR, you save 0.00 go figure...i'm still waffling, and not going to make a decision till i see the F10...but you guys/gals need to drive this car....
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

I have seen a few jags and the newer ones look pretty sick.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Jaguar, overpriced Ford junk.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by studavis' post='1046658' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:24 AM
Update...drove the xfr tonight with the wife. Almost had to take the sales dude to the hospital as he might have experienced a minor MI. There are a few subtle exterior changes that identify the r, until you get in and hit the power button. This car flats screams. On paper, it may be a shade slower than the M5, but my god is it smooth. I have never been one to complain about the austerity of the BMW interiors. I love my 550i's, but the jag is almost in a different era. Yes, it has a lot of gimmicky stuff, like the vent covers on the dash that open up, and the gear shift that ascends out of the console, but the lighting is a soft modern blue, and the car has a real airplane feel to it. The center console does have the look of a plane's cockpit, and going from the idrive to a touch screen and console buttons is going to take some getting used to. But all of this aside, when you push the go fast pedal, wowsa.....words fail to adequately represent the car's forward velocity. I would make the comparison of the M5 a top fuel dragster run, vs the catapult shot of an aircraft carrier. Both push you into the seat and snap your head, but the jag is just plain smoother. The XFR is about 6 grand cheaper than the m5, and the only thing you can get on an m5 that the jag does not offer is a hud system. But check out the list of standard options on the jag, there is just one, and that is to delete the adaptive cruise system...funny on the XF supercharged, it is a 2200 option. When you delete is from the XKR, you save 0.00 go figure...i'm still waffling, and not going to make a decision till i see the F10...but you guys/gals need to drive this car....
When I was shopping for my 550, I test drove the XF Supercharged (the XFR was not out yet). I like the car a lot and thought it drove well. But I really wanted the 550 and BMW's unparalleled handling. But I thought the Jag was very competitive (if a touch softer in terms of handling).
Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by studavis' post='1031997' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:01 AM
Had to take the wife's rover in for service...
Cannot say Rover for Range Rover! For us European members this is a Rover:
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by studavis' post='1034968' date='Oct 17 2009, 11:47 PM
Went back to the lot tonight and showed my wife and her friend the xf. sort of got the wife on track, although she really wants to know why I need 470 hp.....like what kind of a question is that....

she obviously is clueless..lol..

im not a jag fan... my friend had one and things kept breaking..i think he had the XJR (it did sound beefy though)

Quick Reply: The XF pussy cat