The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Updated photos of new Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 645ci Steptronic, Sport & Cold Weather Package, Black on Black with Blackwood Interior, PDC, Illuminated BMW Door Sills, Logic 7 Sound....Mods and pics on the way !

The 2011 Audi A8 is out, here are some details on the brand new flagship sedan. Even with a welter of technology and advanced design principles at work, the question of beauty wasn't lost in the presentation of the A8, nestled as it was among the art at the "Art of Progress" exhibition in Miami this evening.

The new look is all high-tech and sleekness, with bright full-LED head lights giving a dramatic accent to the car's front end and LED tail lights at the rear end. The flowing lines and smooth surfaces reflect the car's mechanical goals as much as its aesthetic.
Powered by a pair of diesel and gasoline V-8 and V-6 engines--one each--the new Audi A8 promises to be the sportiest of the large luxury sedans while also delivering on efficiency. With a coefficient of drag of just 0.26, the car seems prepared to do both, but we'll withhold final judgment until Audi puts us behind the wheel.
With a 372-horsepower V-8 4.2 FSI engine in the U.S.-market normal wheelbase launch vehicle, there's no shortage of power, however. That power is sent to the front two wheels in base configuration, with the quattro all-wheel-drive system an optional upgrade. Whichever drive system you choose, however, the standard transmission is an 8-speed tiptronic unit that should prove smooth and efficient.
A long wheelbase version is due to debut next year, but Audi is already targeting the MB S-class and BMW 7-series with its new car, calling thejaguar XJ and Lexus LS "secondary competitors."
Lightness is a mission and a theme throughout the new 2011 A8, and accordingly, Audi says the car is about 50-200 pounds lighter than the MB S-class and 200-400 pounds lighter than the BMW 7-series, depending on whether the cars are fitted with two-wheel- or all-wheel-drive systems. The new A8 is also bigger than its german competitors.

An adjustable air suspension system, updated MMI infotainment, high-tech radar-adaptive safety systems, night-vision pedestrian detection and more optional upgrades are available. The car is expected to go on sale some time next year, and though pricing hasn't yet been released, expect it to fall somewhere around the current model's $74,550 starting price and go up from there as you pile on the options.
Attached Thumbnails Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117790_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117796_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117800_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117807_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117828_w500.jpg  

Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117827_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117826_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117810_w500.jpg   Updated photos of new Audi A8-203117823_w500.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Looks like a big bland A4 to me, but then again Audi is more conservative with its design changes.
I used to have Audis, but ever since having my first BMW back in 2001, its been BMW all the way. For me its almost as though Audi tries to build cars that "tick the boxes" and build a great all-round car. The problem with that, is that IMHO it they tend to lack that edge that BMW has on the driving pleasure side and Merc has on the comfort/luxury side. (This opinion is directed at their A4/5/8 cars, rather than the R8 & co.)

Thanks for sharing the pics. No doubt this car will be another "overall points" winner in countless magazines...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='1066253' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:00 PM
Looks like a big bland A4 to me, but then again Audi is more conservative with its design changes.
I used to have Audis, but ever since having my first BMW back in 2001, its been BMW all the way. For me its almost as though Audi tries to build cars that "tick the boxes" and build a great all-round car. The problem with that, is that IMHO it they tend to lack that edge that BMW has on the driving pleasure side and Merc has on the comfort/luxury side. (This opinion is directed at their A4/5/8 cars, rather than the R8 & co.)

Thanks for sharing the pics. No doubt this car will be another "overall points" winner in countless magazines...
Agree.

Looks awfully similar to a A4, as a bigger brother.

But are oyu kidding me?
That power is sent to the front two wheels in base configuration, with the quattro all-wheel-drive system an optional upgrade.
You mean i can or will probably see an A8 spinning the front tires?!

Man...even RWD tire spinning would look a bit weird on a car at this size but FWD Ford Focus tire spinning!?