The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Oct 13 2004, 06:51 AM
I respectfully disagree about BMW priorities.? I think that BMW is a driver's car first and foremost, and the luxury is there just because that's expected of a "premium car."? It seems that the US market is really the only one that considers BMW a "luxury car."? I mean, one can still get cloth seats in a BMW in other markets.? Let's not forget how terribly cold and ascetic BMW interiors were as recently as the E36 3er.

If anything, I think it's the Acuras and Infinitis and Lexuses that are luxury cars at their core that are trying to be drivers' cars.

I think this same fundamental philosophy difference exists between BMW and Merc.? A BMW is a "drivers' car;" while a Merc is a "riders' car."

Everything else you said, I agree with 100%.

-MrB
[snapback]44236[/snapback]
I think BMW is a driver's car first, too. I guess it didn't come out right. What I'm trying to say is that BMW has ALWAYS been a luxury vehicle (at least in the US). In its heart and soul it is that way. It isn't a wannabe. When they make a vehicle, it just is high class. It's never sharing components with a lesser make with a MUCH lesser price tag. I think an Acura has to TRY to be luxurious--they have to prove it to people that Acura=luxury. Say BMW, and people will say BMW=Driving, and BMW=high end or BMW=design or BMW=luxury car. Say Acura, and I think fancy Honda.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Do ask this same question in Acura's forum. You will always get a bias response here. I know I will too.

That being said, do buy the RL and save some money. If you have already owned BMW's then why not change flavor sometimes
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 13 2004, 09:04 AM
Do ask this same question in Acura's forum.? You will always get a bias response here. I know I will too.

That being said, do buy the RL and save some money.? If you have already owned BMW's then why not change flavor sometimes
[snapback]44289[/snapback]
Great idea. If you go to the TL forum (my wife's car), you'll find there is a lot of respect for the BMW's as 'drivers cars'. Most Acura drivers will acknowledge that the BMW's handle better. However, they also feel their cars are much better values, and more reliable - both true in my opinion. I would say the same probably holds true for the Acura RL vs the 545.

I would say there is a pretty easy test to deternime whether you should go with an RL or a 545. Drive both, and forget about checking out any of the 'features' such as bluetooth or nav or whatever. Just drive both cars a few times in a variety of situations that you feel really test the car's driving ability. Then, if you enjoy driving the 545 more, ask yourself if the added enjoyment is worth $16,000. If it is, buy the 545, if not get the RL.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Guys, it is a Honda...

I wonder if on a Honda forum there posts from somebody considering trading in his car for bus passes at half the price..

It is a Honda.
My lawnmower is a Honda.
My out board engine is a Honda.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I went to look at the Acura RL today (why do I continue to doubt myself).

The RL is a nice car...but that's it. It looks OK, it drives OK, and it feels just OK (interior feel, touch, etc.). The thing I like about BMW is that it has an emotional appeal to me. It feels solid, sounds solid, the leather feels durable yet soft and it is different from the others out there. I cannot buy a car and not feel something for it. It is hard to explain, but if I were a practical person, I could say for 50k, I get all of these gadgets, decent hps, nice looks, etc. But I need more than practicality when making a purchase like this. I need to feel special when driving it. I need to want to drive it for many many years to come. I need to feel proud in what I have spent my money on. The BMW does that for me. I am not knocking anyone who likes this car, it is a nice car, but for me, nothing beats a BMW.

Keep in mind, I am planning on getting a 525, so even the added hp of the RL, it still doesn't make me want to switch. I have looked at them all, Cadillac STS, RL, Merc, etc. I keep coming back to BMW and it just puts a smile on my face everytime! For those of you already with your cars, you made the right choice, and I hope you feel special everytime you drive!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think you're preaching to the choir Aaron. Now go out and get yourself a car!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I know, I know...soon enough!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 16 2004, 09:12 PM
I think you're preaching to the choir Aaron.? Now go out and get yourself a car!
[snapback]45732[/snapback]
Post some pics when you get it. Btw, what options are you getting?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Oct 16 2004, 06:09 PM
I went to look at the Acura RL today (why do I continue to doubt myself).

The RL is a nice car...but that's it.? It looks OK, it drives OK, and it feels just OK (interior feel, touch, etc.).? The thing I like about BMW is that it has an emotional appeal to me.? It feels solid, sounds solid, the leather feels durable yet soft and it is different from the others out there.? I cannot buy a car and not feel something for it.? It is hard to explain, but if I were a practical person, I could say for 50k, I get all of these gadgets, decent hps, nice looks, etc.? But I need more than practicality when making a purchase like this.? I need to feel special when driving it.? I need to want to drive it for many many years to come.? I need to feel proud in what I have spent my money on.? The BMW does that for me.? I am not knocking anyone who likes this car, it is a nice car, but for me, nothing beats a BMW.?

Keep in mind, I am planning on getting a 525, so even the added hp of the RL, it still doesn't make me want to switch.? I have looked at them all, Cadillac STS, RL, Merc, etc.? I keep coming back to BMW and it just puts a smile on my face everytime!? For those of you already with your cars, you made the right choice, and I hope you feel special everytime you drive!
[snapback]45730[/snapback]
agree ! stick with you choice and you'll be another happy e60 owner .
Old 10-17-2004, 01:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I think you need to know what you want to do with your car. If you don't want 50:50 balance, want torque steer, and don't understand understeer or oversteer and how to correct them, then get an Acura. My wife has an Acura and I just bought a 545.

BMW's are designed to be safe but they assume the driver knows what he is doing. For example, go in a full circle at 50 km/hr and slam on the gas. Your car will start spinning once you lose rear tracktion (oversteer). BMW understands this, and corrects with DSC, but they also unable a driver to retain enough control of a situation to get out quickly and confidently.

Acura has good products but I dont' know of their commitment to serious drivers.

My advice is take a few advanced drivers courses (race based), get a BMW and drive the heck out of it. You'll never have so much fun in your life.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura