The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by jared1234' date='Oct 12 2004, 04:03 PM
Thinking about switching from the 2005 545 to the new Acura RL. $16,000 less and quite a car. My wife is stuck on the BMW badge.? I drive about 20,000 miles a year.? Can anyone talk me out of it?
[snapback]43971[/snapback]
I think it boils down to what you value. From what I read and see, the Acura RL is a great value with quality, refinement, more upscale image than previous Acura sedans; all of which are good qualities. In general if you are a car nut you'll take care of whatever you purchase.

From personal experience of having bmw's in the family since childhood...I've learned that it's more about brand loyalty and passion of driving a car with great handling - even if it may not be the fastest for it's price. God knows, we've had lemons and leaky transmissions, and what-not...and yet keep getting another bmw! (Yeah, I appreciate the "image", but it's not the reason I buy bmw's...for some it is the image...and there's nothing wrong with that either.)

Whatever you select...I hope you won't regret the decision...which for me would lean you towards the bimmer!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! I keep forgetting to log in! Me, dufus, b on b on b!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Members

An Acura is an Acura and a Bmw is a Bmw. Simple as that
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

What's the more practical decision? The Acura. But what will you most likely enjoy more? The BMW. Especially if you're in your car that much. For me, it is very difficult to tell any of the Japanese cars apart. Some may have more "icing" than others, but they're all pretty devoid of any personality. The BMW is a luxury vehicle at its heart, designed with driving in mind, the Acura is just trying to market itself that way, but its heart is somewhere else. It's the immeasurable feeling you get when you sit in a BMW vs. an Acura. If that feeling is important to you, go with the BMW. If you have a relationship with your car, get the BMW. If you are looking for reliable mode of daily transportation with some creature comforts, go for the Acura. If you're strictly a numbers man, go with the Acura.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 12 2004, 11:19 PM
What's the more practical decision?? The Acura.? But what will you most likely enjoy more?? The BMW.? Especially if you're in your car that much.? For me, it is very difficult to tell any of the Japanese cars apart.? Some may have more "icing" than others, but they're all pretty devoid of any personality.? The BMW is a luxury vehicle at its heart, designed with driving in mind, the Acura is just trying to market itself that way, but its heart is somewhere else.? It's the immeasurable feeling you get when you sit in a BMW vs. an Acura.? If that feeling is important to you, go with the BMW.? If you have a relationship with your car, get the BMW.? If you are looking for reliable mode of daily transportation with some creature comforts, go for the Acura.? If you're strictly a numbers man, go with the Acura.
[snapback]44132[/snapback]
She explains my words/prespective..... Acura is a brand Honda trying to market themselves to a upper class automotive market.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Take Asian opinion and You forget all Asian brands and come to think MB or BMW. I listened my wife and that was good, because now I have best car what I have ever drove!

Skaffa
Old 10-13-2004, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

jared1234, if the number is a higher priority than the car, consider a 530 or even a 525. the price won't be that much of a diff. one more thing you have to consider is bmw comes w/4 year free maintainence. that is at least a $1-2,000 "discount".
Old 10-13-2004, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 12 2004, 11:19 PM
What's the more practical decision?? The Acura.? But what will you most likely enjoy more?? The BMW.? Especially if you're in your car that much.? For me, it is very difficult to tell any of the Japanese cars apart.? Some may have more "icing" than others, but they're all pretty devoid of any personality.? The BMW is a luxury vehicle at its heart, designed with driving in mind, the Acura is just trying to market itself that way, but its heart is somewhere else.? It's the immeasurable feeling you get when you sit in a BMW vs. an Acura.? If that feeling is important to you, go with the BMW.? If you have a relationship with your car, get the BMW.? If you are looking for reliable mode of daily transportation with some creature comforts, go for the Acura.? If you're strictly a numbers man, go with the Acura.
[snapback]44132[/snapback]
I respectfully disagree about BMW priorities. I think that BMW is a driver's car first and foremost, and the luxury is there just because that's expected of a "premium car." It seems that the US market is really the only one that considers BMW a "luxury car." I mean, one can still get cloth seats in a BMW in other markets. Let's not forget how terribly cold and ascetic BMW interiors were as recently as the E36 3er.

If anything, I think it's the Acuras and Infinitis and Lexuses that are luxury cars at their core that are trying to be drivers' cars.

I think this same fundamental philosophy difference exists between BMW and Merc. A BMW is a "drivers' car;" while a Merc is a "riders' car."

Everything else you said, I agree with 100%.

-MrB
Old 10-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 12 2004, 09:14 PM
[quote name='beewang' date='Oct 12 2004, 05:49 PM'][quote name='acribb' date='Oct 12 2004, 04:39 PM']..., but the electronics/stereo just can't competewith the Japanese....
With regards to the Stereo, I have to assume that you do not have the Logic-7 system. Because the L-7 is better than any Japanese permium OEM system I've seen.

beewang
[snapback]44016[/snapback]
[/quote]

oh yeah? how about the one in lexus (Mark Levinson)?
[snapback]44097[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oooh Yeah!! L-7 is better than Mark Levinson... it is that good!!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Everyone talks about the Mark Levinson, and I know Lexus touts it in their ads. I had a couple of vehicles from Lexus for extended several day test drives and I was really disappointed in it. I had to double check to make sure it had the Levinson system in it, and I am for sure not an audiophile.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching from 545 to the new Acura