The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

The new Volvo S80

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipp' post='238410
Safe, pleasant-looking design.

However, I still do not see why one would choose a Volvo over a BMW, Audi, MB etc. as it is unexceptional in any way. IMO, Saab also fits in this black hole.
I would take the S80 over the A6 any day.
[/quote]

s80 looks like a russian volga from 1960s
Old 02-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='238410

However, I still do not see why one would choose a Volvo over a BMW, Audi, MB etc. as it is unexceptional in any way. IMO, Saab also fits in this black hole.
I would take the S80 over the A6 any day.
[/quote]

I have to admit, I was confused how anyone could prefer the Volvo over an Audi A6.

Then I saw you were from Sweden, home of the Volvo...makes a little more sense now
Old 02-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='238409' date='Feb 11 2006, 05:03 PM

I would not be surprised if half of Volvo/Saab buyers are driven by the need to get something "different".
Yep that was the case here - Always had 'different' cars, something that isn't 'run of the mill'. Hence Alfa Romeo's and Saabs, love them for their independence, and individual characteristics.

This is my first BMW, and yes I love it, but the reason I never had one in the first place, is because everyone else did! And i wasn't too in to that 'superior' thing, BMW have always been a bit like Michael Schumacher and Man UTD (back in the day) - Consistently coming 1st in everything - which I found boring and predictable, a car with little faults, or quirks gives it character.

Anyway I'm converted now, but still don't really like the BMW driver image...

I'm liking the S80, the old one was HUGE and really comfortable, but looked butt ugly, this one is nice, and the interior is very pleasant looking, simple and intuitive, those Swedes are so suave!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

I'm fairly neutral on the design of this new car, I always thought that Volvo's didn't look bad. But they don't look to exciting either, but to me they look (too) sober. I liked the forerunner of this model better.

And one can't really compare Volvo to BMW/Mercedes/Audi, they just play in a different leage (exept the S80 maybe). Hand me a German car over a Volvo any day.

Originally Posted by converted2bmw' post='239314' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:50 PM
Anyway I'm converted now, but still don't really like the BMW driver image...
I hold a grudge against "certain" Volvo-drivers, my experience here in Holland is that they tend to be jealous at mostly BMW-drivers. Often I hear them complaining about the driving-style, the people who drive BMW, that they are vulgair and so on.

The "best" thing is, that most of those people have never seen a BMW up close, let alone have drivin in one.

But as with all prejudices, they don't apply to every Volvo-driver.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

I hold a grudge against "certain" Volvo-drivers, my experience here in Holland is that they tend to be jealous at mostly BMW-drivers. Often I hear them complaining about the driving-style, the people who drive BMW, that they are vulgair and so on.

The "best" thing is, that most of those people have never seen a BMW up close, let alone have drivin in one.

But as with all prejudices, they don't apply to every Volvo-driver.
[/quote]

I can understand the negative BMW-driver stereotype.

Let's face it, a large number of BMW and MB owners here in the U.S. bought their cars primarily for status (i.e. if Volvo made a much better car, they would still not buy one) - luckily, e60.net members don't fit this characterization.