The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Bangle Vs Benz

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

I think the C class is better looking than the 3 Series old or new.
The E-Class is better looking than the 5-Series.

However, the 7-Series is much better looking than the old or new S-Class and the X5 is much better looking than the old or new ML.

With that said, I still purchased an E61 Touring 5-Series because I like driving and the BMW is more fun to drive. The E61 also has a better looking rear than the E-Class wagon.

What do you guys think about the above assessment?

How would you compare the 1-series to equivilent Benz?
How about the SLK and the equivilent BMW?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Members

Looks are personal. How the car works and the system works is interesting too.
I asked one of the largest dealers of multibrands in the US what he thought of BMW these days.
He said that BMW is the only German car that hasn't given up to the Japanese. He says BMW is trying to be customer driven and responsive. Benz says if you don't like something it's your problem not theirs. Parts take a week from Benz, and a day from BMW. The modification to the looks of the 7 series is an example of listening. The car sold great, but they still modified it.
He said that if you want luxury, Lexus is where to go. If you want driving luxury, BMW. That's always been my feeling, but it's nice to hear it from a large dealer owner, who buys from all the organizations.

I also asked him," if they are listening to you, tell em to get a Lexus cupholder installed."
Old 09-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Members

Personally I feel that Benz's have always had their design more or less right. Their cars always look downright classy. But, at the same time over this last crop of cars, I feel like they have gotten boring and have lost ideas. The CLS is a good attempt at inserting some pizzaz into the brand, but from what I see this pizzaz is only existing in one line of the brand. However in recent years the merger with Chrysler and the constant quality issues and cheapy feel, has really pushed me away from the brand.

BMW's in my opinion were never 'designwise' anything special until the late 1990's. However with the crop of Bangle designs, I really appreciate what BMW has done with itself. Everytime I see a E67, E60, E63, I go WOW. Never once have I been bored of looking at these designs. BMW once again has proven that it is the leader of the pack in terms of the overall package.

But since you did car to car comparison, I feel like doing that also :

C-Class to 3 series: Until the last refresh of the C-Class the 3 series was the clear winner. But the new E90 looks much more dynamic in my eyes.

E-Class to 5 Series: Sure the E-class is nice looking, but I'd take the 5 anyday. The 5 is so interestingly styled. Also the E class has butt proportion issues.

S-Class to 7 Series: Again the MB design is nice, but the 7 is just so much more interesting!

SLK to Z4: Now this is one of the few MB designs I hate. The Z4 in my eyes is beautiful - provided that it has the bigger engine (chrome grills + chrome headlight inserts IMHO make or break this car). Interestingly, after an amazing start to sales of the SLK this year, the sales have completely levelled off. For the Z4 whos sales have fallen off a cliff in the last year, its only 600 cars behind the SLK in its first year !

CLS to 6: Hmm. Now this one is a hard one. I really like the CLS, and I like the 6 too. Too close to call for me.

ML to X5: No comparison, the 5+ year X5 blows the doors off the new ML.

1 Series to A-class: The 1 series in my opinion is one of the best designs from the bangle era. The 2nd gen A-class is cheap looking, in comparison to the really cute 1st gen.

Now all these comparisons were design strictly. Factor in reliablity, quality and driving satisfaction and I think you know which car I would pick ! The only cars that would really attract me from the MB lineup would be the CLS and maybe the CLK.

A little OT, but still relevant...

One thing which always amazes me, is how well BMW refreshes work. When I look back at the original E46, I think its hideous compared to the 2002 refreshed E46. Same thing goes for the E39 ! Look at how well the E65 came out, and the Z4 is next !!!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Respect to all but I dont give a .-.-.-. to Merz, not wat its used to be, today is just a simbol for some who wanna show $ but on the track or Autobahn
Old 09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by ats77' date='Sep 4 2005, 04:05 AM
Respect to all but I dont give a .-.-.-. to Merz, not wat its used to be, today is just a simbol for some who wanna show $ but on the track or Autobahn ? ?
[snapback]166629[/snapback]
Of all the recent Mercedes, only the CLS and the SL are good and elegant. It looks better than the 6er. If I am looking for a nice GT, I will defintely for the SL, even I am a die hard BMW fans.

And in comparison, Mercedes is doing much better than Audi. I really have a hard time to distinguish a A3, A4, A6 & the A8. They all look alike. Good that Bangle did not just "shrink" the 7-series and make it the 5-series & the 3-series. But Audi just shrink the A8 and "xerox" it to their smaller cars.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

What did you say sorry? What ? What is a benz?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

CLS VS 6 SERIES- Id go with both...they're just both two awesome cars..I had a chance to drive my friends cls 500 and its not bad

3 SERIES VS C-CLASS- When compared to the old 3 series,i have to say the c-class was better but now with the new 3 series,c-class is nothing!

5 SERIES VS E-CLASS- By far 5 series!Alot more sporty and nice.Maybe this is coming from someone young.Maybe when i get older i maybe can appreciate benz more

7 SERIES VS S-CLASS- I dont like both cuz they just look old for me.but if i have to chose,then its the 7

Z4 VS SLK-The new slk i think is really nice so im going with the slk

X5 VS M-CLASS- I think the new M-class has a nice new model and i think it should be good.Not such a big fan of x5.So im going with the m class

So overall i think BMW wins by a slight margin though
Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

1 SERIES VS A-CLASS: THe 1 series is far bettter looking

SL VS 6 SERIES- I would choose he SL. Far better looking.

3 SERIES VS C-CLASS: C Class is a winner here. The new 3 series looks teriible. It has the rear of a Daewoo Lanos. Bravo bangle, you've destroyed the 3-series looks .

5 SERIES VS E-CLASS: 5 series anyday. The E-class looks very boring, and even small when parked beside the 5.

7 SERIES VS S-CLASS: S-Class is the best looking large executive in the history. This is of course IMO .

Z4 VS SLK: Of course the SLK, the Z4 looks like it just came out of an accident .

X5 VS M-CLASS: X5

So it comes out to be 4-3 to Mercedes. This is only from the lloks point of view. If I was going to buy a car from any class I would go for a BMW due to the absence of the driving experience in any Benz, except for the SL.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i, 2004. Alpine white, ventilated seats, confort seats, bluetooth, HI-FI Audio, Electrical Rear Blinds, manual Side blinds, Sport Package, Confort Glass,Active steering, Business Navigation

1 SERIES VS A-CLASS: No Comment

SL VS 6 SERIES- 6 series has a very agressive presence on the road thou the SL is as wild but i will go for the 6

3 SERIES VS C-CLASS: 3 series has always been the best selling car amoung the BMW categories except in the Arab Gulf (the 7 is the best selling to much $). the 3 series in the late 80's early 90's was very ugly
but the late 90's and the new model is very nice

5 SERIES VS E-CLASS: 5 series in my opinion is much more interesting in looks than the e-class. i will defenatly go with the 5

7 SERIES VS S-CLASS: i saw the new S Class yesterday only, it is to much like a 7 series from the inside. MB copied the BMW big time. my vote is to 7 series

Z4 VS SLK: Z4 in here loses to SLK.

X5 VS M-CLASS: X5 all the way you should wait and the see the new model .SUPER.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I prefer all the BWM models over the MB. Why? Well I love driving and the driving experience is much higher that in a Benz

Quick Reply: Bangle Vs Benz