The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

The New Cadillac CTS-V, Wow!! Well Not Really.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by ObD' post='533803' date='Feb 20 2008, 09:14 PM
Biggest disappointment was no integrated Bluetooth.
I had a friend recently buy a GM product, and the sales guy actually said to him "OnStar is like our version of Bluetooth... You don't really need Bluetooth if you have OnStar."

What a load of BS. With OnStar, you have to (1) pay a monthly service fee, (2) have a separate phone number for your car, (3) have no integrated phone book with your cell phone, and (4) have no display showing the number dialed (or calling) or phone book.

I love the BT on my car, and I think OnStar simply does not compare. In my opinion, the only thing cool about OnStar that you can do with it that you can't do with a regular cell phone or a map is that if you lock your keys in the car (which happens maybe once every 10 years for me), then they can remotely unlock your doors for you from the satelites. Worthless.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='533797' date='Feb 20 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, my father has gotten a new one every 24 months for the past 40 years and without exception, every single one of them has been crap. I agree that it has gotten better but still dismal.
Question: Why would he continue to get a Caddy if they were all crapp?

MHO - I had the displeasure of owning two american cars in my (eehhh) short life. A 199X ford Probe (came as a package deal w/ my wife) and a 2003 Lincoln Navigator (bought new). Both were complete garbage. you cannot compare american cars to european cars in any classification. My wifes '01 330 has never had a problem, and so far the beast (550) is doing well.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='533971' date='Feb 21 2008, 06:46 AM
I had a friend recently buy a GM product, and the sales guy actually said to him "OnStar is like our version of Bluetooth... You don't really need Bluetooth if you have OnStar."

What a load of BS. With OnStar, you have to (1) pay a monthly service fee, (2) have a separate phone number for your car, (3) have no integrated phone book with your cell phone, and (4) have no display showing the number dialed (or calling) or phone book.

I love the BT on my car, and I think OnStar simply does not compare. In my opinion, the only thing cool about OnStar that you can do with it that you can't do with a regular cell phone or a map is that if you lock your keys in the car (which happens maybe once every 10 years for me), then they can remotely unlock your doors for you from the satelites. Worthless.
BMW assist was a $400 per year additional cost until just a couple of years ago...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Wow, JeffNNJ. Are you going through a rough patch or something. Every post of yours that I've read for the past few days has been negative. Do you need to talk or something to get it off your chest? You can PM me if you want. I'm all "eyes."

And your father must be a dunce if he keeps getting a piece of crap car every 24 months, regardless of whether he works at a dealership or not. And I, too, disagree with your sentiment that Cadillacs (or GMs in general) are unreliable heaps of metal.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by moschse' post='533974' date='Feb 21 2008, 09:52 AM
Question: Why would he continue to get a Caddy if they were all crapp?
Excellent question. You can bring a horse to water.....Well, in my case I couldn't even bring him to the dealership to test drive a 5 or 7. I have asked him this numerous times and all he can say is that he likes them. Oh well.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='533991' date='Feb 21 2008, 07:40 AM
Excellent question. You can bring a horse to water.....Well, in my case I couldn't even bring him to the dealership to test drive a 5 or 7. I have asked him this numerous times and all he can say is that he likes them. Oh well.
One man's crap is another man's fertilizer?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='533991' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm trying to get my dad to do the same...Good luck!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='533971' date='Feb 21 2008, 09:46 AM

GM held firm on trying to push Onstar for phone communication for a long time, but are finally giving up (should have cut their loses a couple years ago...). During the 2009 & 2010 model years, Bluetooth will be rolled out on most models. Onstar will still be available (for a fee) for safety/concierge services similar to BMW Connect, but BT will also be integrated into the vehicle to link to your cell phone.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by moschse' post='534023' date='Feb 21 2008, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to get my dad to do the same...Good luck!
If they have more than one vehicle try to get them to split America/European. My parents generally do the same as my wife and I -- one GM and one BMW. Parents have a 2003 525Ti with sport package and manual trans that has less than 10K miles. Their "daily driver" is an HHR that they absolutely love. My mother, now 71, who has alway been into cars, puts the HHR up close to the E30 325 that was one of all time favorites. My father never got into BMW forums, but is active on an HHR site.

I work in the auto industry for a supplier to every OEM and can tell you GM "gets it" now (they didn't in the past) -- they are certainly not there across the board and not at BMW's level, but have made amazing progress. Ford and Chrysler on the other hand....