The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New to BMW and this board, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

I just discovered this forum this morning. Currently have an Infiniti G35 and lease will expire in 3 weeks. I was all set to lease a 2006 Infiniti M35X

I made a huge mistake, I agreed to test drive the 545i. Well, as you can imagine I was floored by the drive and have been agonizing over this for close to a week now. I have set today at 1 P.M. as my decision time.

These two cars are completly different, the M35X is 6 cyl all wheel drive whereas the 545i is 8 cyl rear wheel drive.

I lease my cars, so the depreciation factor on a new 2004 compared to a new 2006
is not a consideration and does not make any difference. I like the drive of the BMW way more however, the particular car at issue is a base 545i with no additional options.

What is screwing me up is all the new options that are available in the Infinti such as, AWd, Intelligent Key, rear park assist, bluetooth, voice recognition and A/c seats, along with a real nice new interior.

I had posted earlier cocnerning the run flat tires on the 545i, however, after checking back with dealer I confirmed that this car does not come with them but rather all season continental tires and I also negotiated a set of Toyo winter tires into the deal.

I have one important question that I need answered. How is the 545i in the winter with winter tires on it. I know that my rear wheel drive G35 was not the best winter vehicle but once you get used to it and know how to drive it there really were no major problems. Can I expect the same on the 545i?

I have read many posts on other forums where people were complaining that the car was horrible in the winter.

Would appreciate any and all comments, as soon as possible

Thanks

P.S from a $$ perspective, the 545i is only $140.00 more per month on a lease.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:21 AM
I just discovered this forum this morning. Currently have an Infiniti G35 and lease will expire in 3 weeks. I was all set to lease a 2006 Infiniti M35X

I made a huge mistake, I agreed to test drive the 545i. Well, as you can imagine I was floored by the drive and have been agonizing over this for close to a week now. I have set today at 1 P.M. as my decision time.

These two cars are completly different, the M35X is 6 cyl all wheel drive whereas the 545i is 8 cyl rear wheel drive.

I lease my cars, so the depreciation factor on a new 2004 compared to a new 2006
is not a consideration and does not make any difference. I like the drive of the BMW way more however, the particular car at issue is a base 545i with no additional options.?

What is screwing me up is all the new options that are available in the Infinti such as, AWd, Intelligent Key, rear park assist, bluetooth, voice recognition and A/c seats, along with a real nice new interior.

I had posted earlier cocnerning the run flat tires on the 545i, however, after checking back with dealer I confirmed that this car does not come with them but rather all season continental tires and I also negotiated a set of Toyo winter tires into the deal.

I have one important question that I need answered. How is the 545i in the winter with winter tires on it.? I know that my rear wheel drive G35 was not the best winter vehicle but once you get used to it and know how to drive it there really were no major problems. Can I expect the same on the 545i?

I have read many posts on other forums where people were complaining that the car was horrible in the winter.

Would appreciate any and all comments, as soon as possible

Thanks

P.S from a $$ perspective, the 545i is only $140.00 more per month on a lease.
[snapback]89990[/snapback]

I think with a proper set of snow tires and your recognition that it takes some getting used to your 545 will handle fine in the snow. My 530 has been fine and I have had little worry that I'd wreck it. I can't jump off the line obviously but I'm not keen to do that in this weather regardless.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Gabman: Welcome. I'm not sure where you're writing from, but here in the dc area, my baby's gotten through a couple of significant storms with no problems. If you're g35 has/had traction control, it will maybe feel about the same, given any weight differences. If it didn't have traction control, the 545 will handle herself much better than the g35 did. She's not awd though!

The reason the 545 you were looking at didn't have the run-flats is that that car didn't have the 'sport' option which includes those tires. The all-seasons/non-sport will have a better, smoother ride but fans of the sport option swear by it and (sometimes) consider us non-sport, steptronic drivers a big group of major wimps!

Most of the options you listed are indeed available for the 545... Bluetooth, voice control (must have Nav for non-phone voice control), rear (and front) park assist, ventillated seats, etc. No awd or intelligent key. It actually is an intelligent key but no in the way to which I think you're referring. This car should have bluetooth free (assuming you're us-based) but it may need to be coded/activated.

Consider the 545 with comfort seats and the logic7 sound system. You won't be sorry!!!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Sam
Old 02-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:39 AM
Gabman:? Welcome.? I'm not sure where you're writing from, but here in the dc area, my baby's gotten through a couple of significant storms with no problems.? If you're g35 has/had traction control, it will maybe feel about the same, given any weight differences.? If it didn't have traction control, the 545 will handle herself much better than the g35 did.? She's not awd though!

The reason the 545 you were looking at didn't have the run-flats is that that car didn't have the 'sport' option which includes those tires.? The all-seasons/non-sport will have a better, smoother ride but fans of the sport option swear by it and (sometimes) consider us non-sport, steptronic drivers a big group of major wimps!

Most of the options you listed are indeed available for the 545...? Bluetooth, voice control (must have Nav for non-phone voice control), rear (and front) park assist, ventillated seats, etc.? No awd or intelligent key.? It actually is an intelligent key but no in the way to which I think you're referring.? This car should have bluetooth free (assuming you're us-based) but it may need to be coded/activated.

Consider the 545 with comfort seats and the logic7 sound system.? You won't be sorry!!!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Sam
[snapback]90005[/snapback]

Thanks Sam,

I am in Eastern Canada, The 545i in question is a new 2004 and I have no choice but to take it as is. I can probably up grade sound system if I wanted to. Bluetooth
is nice but my lousy Cell phone provider ( Bell) does not make a bluetooth enabled phone, they are on CDMA so I just have to live with it. Thanks fro you comments about winter driving, this is kinda what I figured.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Contributors

welcome gabman

...you did what a japanese car lover should never do... you drove a BMW

im sure the choice is obvious now....
Old 02-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:37 PM
welcome gabman?

...you did what a japanese car lover should never do... you drove a BMW?

im sure the choice is obvious now....?
[snapback]90025[/snapback]
All I can tell you is that it was an expensive Test Drive!!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Feb 14 2005, 01:11 PM
[quote name='m630' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:37 PM']welcome gabman??

[snapback]90033[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well you posted that after your 1pm deadline -- do I take it that you're an official convert?

(Oh, and get four good snow tires and you'll be fine...)
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 14 2005, 01:16 PM
[quote name='gabman' date='Feb 14 2005, 01:11 PM'][quote name='m630' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:37 PM']welcome gabman??

[snapback]90033[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well you posted that after your 1pm deadline -- do I take it that you're an official convert?

(Oh, and get four good snow tires and you'll be fine...)
[snapback]90037[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pushed up my meeting until 3 P.M. so will have one hour more to make myself even crazier
Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
sj3
Senior Members

gabman: It's 4:00!!!! What happened?? Are congratulations in order?

Sam
Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I Titanium Silver Metallic / Black Leather / Poplar Grain Wood Trim /Automatic Cold Weather Package / Heated Rear Seats / Xenon Headlights / Sirius Satellite Radio Leather Selector Lever w/Wood Inlay / Wood E-Brake Handle / Red Rear Reflectors / BMW All Weather Mats / BMW All Weather Trunk Liner / LoJack Anti-theft System

Welcome aboard. Theres only one choice 5 - the drive is second to none.

Quick Reply: New to BMW and this board, need help