The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Audi S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='221663
WoW engine from Gallardo.. I wonder how much the car cost..

And i can't wait to hear how will it sounds like..

I don't think the Audi version of the engine revs as high as the one in the Lambo - probably much different cams. I think it makes more torque though, and at lower RPM. Definitely more tuned for a passenger car. Also, it won't have the Italian "pipe organ" of an exhaust. I'm guessing it will sound good, but likely not like an Italian car.

Thinking about those exhausts reminds me of an episode of Monster Garage when Jesse James was complaining about how he always ends up fabricating the custom headers and exhausts on the project vehicles. Someone told him that it looked like a musical instrument because his work was so meticulous. He quipped, "It is a musical instrument... it just makes one sound though. WHAAAAAAAAAAA" (the sound you make when you're trying to imitate an engine revving)
[/quote]

Jesse James rocks, awesome bikes.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

Audi makes wonderful cars - after an A4 and Allroad nothing matches the interior and overall ambience (and the new A6 is better than my 545). It was beautiful. The one thing Audi can?t match is the handling. Whatever Audi does it will not be able to imitate a 50/50 weight ratio. Which leads me to Quattro ? IMO what a waste. It was nice when I drove across superior but how often is that? In the rain, when is traffic ever moving fasting enough? I hear about the history of Quattro but how many people drive their cars like that? For now I am in a BMW and until a few more magazines convince me I probably won?t go to the Audi dealership (RS4 has me close).
Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

NICE! I like it! I dont care if it has anything to do with the Gallardo or not... Having the engine from the Gallardo doenst make it more special to me But I LIKE IT I LIKE IT!!!!!!

The interior isnt all that... I like the E60s more but I STILL WANT THAT S6!!! Better yet... the RS6
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Don't get me wrong...i like the interior more in the e60. The design...is more suited to my tastes. I am very satisfied byt the quality too but there are minor things that really could have been better. (for example the quality of the plastic from headlamps). That's why i said that i find audi's interiors a bit better...only in quality segment.
You would expect that if u pay so much for a sedan like this u do get a more quality feel. Not like that cheep plastic. There are little things i can "complain" about.
I JUST LOVE MY E60 ! IT'S KIND OF LOVE THAT AUDI CAN NEVER HAVE PART. NONE THE LESS MB.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='221551
audi internal trim and fit is far superior to the crap bmw put inside there cars
I would not call it crap...but i do agree at this point.
[/quote]

Agree.

But doesn?t the Audi interior look OLD? Good quality, nice materials but OLDFASHIONED!

Audi has a problem sticking to their automatic gearbox, and at the same time going for the BMW... sorry high revving concept. You can?t have a autobox revving higher than 7000 rpms, can you?

Why no DSG in the Audi S cars????
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

I agree about DSG - having it would boost the relative attractiveness of Audi's S-cars vs. MB and BMW.

It is disappointing when the new $30K VW GTI has DSG but an S4 and S8 don't. :thumbsdown:

It's probably a marketing decision. I am not sure how the S4 is selling, but adding DSG in a year or two is a simple way for Audi to increase demand.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

[quote name='LowOrbit' post='222811' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:26 PM']
I agree about DSG - having it would boost the relative attractiveness of Audi's S-cars vs. MB and BMW.

It is disappointing when the new $30K VW GTI has DSG but an S4 and S8 don't. :thumbsdown:

It's probably a marketing decision. I am not sure how the S4 is selling, but adding DSG in a year or two is a simple way for Audi to increase demand.

[quote name='LowOrbit' post='222811' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:26 PM']

It is a shame because DSG is the best autobox by far. But, DSG can't fit with longitudely mounted engines in the A4s and A8s. VWs are mounted horizontally for more passenger room, and A3 has DSG because its based on VW's Golf platform.

Audi's AWD, and heavy (but rigid) body structure do not help in the handling department. As an Audi owner, my car is rock solid but heavy. Word has it that Audi has acknowledged BMW's superior handling and has hired exBMW engineers to close the gap. BMW has led the pack on dynamic and variable suspension calibration. Everyone is either copying or studying this to some degree. I'll look for related articles.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cidair' post='222787' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:04 PM
Audi has a problem sticking to their automatic gearbox, and at the same time going for the BMW... sorry high revving concept. You can?t have a autobox revving higher than 7000 rpms, can you?

Why no DSG in the Audi S cars????
well technically mercedes had one on the clk 63 amg concept that revs to about 7300rpm, but production
cars will be limited to 6800rpm...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='223070' date='Jan 11 2006, 10:44 PM
It is a shame because DSG is the best autobox by far. But, DSG can't fit with longitudely mounted engines in the A4s and A8s. VWs are mounted horizontally for more passenger room, and A3 has DSG because its based on VW's Golf platform.

Audi's AWD, and heavy (but rigid) body structure do not help in the handling department. As an Audi owner, my car is rock solid but heavy. Word has it that Audi has acknowledged BMW's superior handling and has hired exBMW engineers to close the gap. BMW has led the pack on dynamic and variable suspension calibration. Everyone is either copying or studying this to some degree. I'll look for related articles.

CVT Benhogan
hmmm...dont know about DSG being the best, it still has to be proven out in performance cars over a large population....even in the new Motor Trend, there is a story from Porsche not being happy with its performance and are going back to try to get it right, that is why it hasnt been put out yet in a P-car, there is a problem with the shifting being jerky, especially in the automated mode, the big issue made is that Porsche didnt develop a new auto for the 911 because they thought that DSG would satisfy this market need, but now they dont have DSG either so they are working to get it right....
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

any one know the price for this as its definitely being looked at

Quick Reply: New Audi S6