The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

My new 520- comparison with A4 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had first drive today of my new 520 and whilst it may seem an odd comparison bearing in mind the completely different nature of the 2 cars here are my initial impressions.
The BMW feels a lot bigger car both externally and internally even though I expect there is not more than an inch or so length and width ways. Although visibility is good in the BM the Cab feels smaller and therefore easier to thread through traffic ( however perhaps this may be due to taking extra care in a new car ). Despite the Cab being heavier than the Cab the BMW actually feels heavier which I think is as a result of the greater structural strength of the BM tricking the mind into equating strength/solidity with weight.It is noticeable that the BMW is much better built than my Cab was. On day one my Cab rattled and creaked - not so with the 520 which has no rattles or squeaks and feels very well built. Over a cobbled road I drive over every day the Cab would shake and rattle whereas the BM's suspension soaks up the cobbles with ease.A lot of motoring mags have criticised the ride of 5 series fitted with bigger alloys and run flat tyres. I can honestly say that the ride on my 17" upgraded alloys is absolutely fine and if anything could cope with the stiffer sport suspension.Listed below are some plus and minus points in no particular order:
A4 Cab plus points:
. Great looking car - never fails to impress passers by.
. Feels light to drive despite actually being a heavy car.
. Excellent sports seats.
. Excellent feel of leather 3 spoke sorts steering wheel and gearlever.
. nice light clutch (although I found difficult to get away smoothly on hillstarts )
. Good hood design - mine never failed to operate properly - although fairly slow to operate.
. Great residuals
Cab minus points:
. lethargic 2.4 engine -poor torque
. poor fit and finish - rattles etc.
. paint work poor - small blemishes visible on a number of panels , not enough to rejectcar but noticeable to the keen eye.
.poor electrics - airbag warning light always coming on, alarm problems, window lift problems
. poor fuel economy
BMW 520 Plus points
. Excellent engine - smooth and powerful
. IMHO a good looking car although I accept it take some adjusting to. The car looks much better in the flesh than photos do. I think the previous 5 series looks dated by comparison.
. Fit and finish exellent although upper dashboard plastic/leather on steering wheel of Cab feels and look nicer.
. Excellent paintwork quality
. Good fuel economy
. Ride/handling excellent for such a big car.
Minus points of BMW:
. Clutch heavy
. Standard seats not a patch on sports seats of Cab
. Upper dash plastics not as nice looking as Cabs although other plastics better.
. Feel of leather rimmed sports steerng wheel not as nice as Cab's - feels plasic by comparison.
I have posted some new pics of my new 520 in Tyresmoke gallery.
Mark-Yorkshire
My latest E60 520 pics
(my latest 520 pics are on page 3 & 4 - try slideshow)
Old 03-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Members

Anyone else taken delivery of a new 5 series today ( new 04 reg) ?
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 03-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

Mark - glad that you too find the 520i to have enough power... i've the auto6/step and even so i am happier than i expected to be (esp. after waiting-for-my-car envy from all the 545's here on the board...

but ha! 14mpg i think tdocz said he was getting -- your 6stick will do mine better by a couple of mpg's and my mileage is looking pretty good (calculations will get handled on the weekend, by which time i'll be around 1900miles on the clock
Old 03-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Members

Skidster,
Yes I'm very pleased with the 2.2 engine. In the past I had a year 2000 325 Coupe and am pleased that the 520 engine feels very similar. It certainly is a lot nicer engine than the 2.4 on my now departed A4 Cab.
I note you have folding mirrors - never thought about such a luxury before now but unfortunately the 520 will not fit through my electric garage door without manually folding in a mirror ( a real pain ).
How about posting some pics of your car?
Mark-Yorkshire