E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.
Thumbs down

Hi All

I have now completed my testing of the new iDrive Interface from Dominic (navwithtv.com) in New York. This NEW AutoDetect version is Version 3 of the original design released last year. New for this version is AutoDetection of NTSC/PAL signals, regular RCA phono sockets for ALL FOUR inputs - V1, V2, V3 and REAR, and now available for native 6.5" iDrive screens or 8.8" ProNAV iDrive screens. Also, there is a new label on the front of the unit "I-WIN" instead of "X-Box".

Both 6.5" and 8.8" derivatives of the interface share the same extruded aluminium case, approx 12cm square and 3cm thick.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0205.jpg

On the front of the case are the two 15pin D-Sub sockets that connect to the signal cable to and from the iDrive Screen itself. The rear panel has four RCA sockets for the four video inputs, designated as V1, V2, V3 and REAR. There is also a 2 pin keyed connector for power (+12V) and a 4 pin connector for the Infrared Remote eye and RearCam activation circuit which will automatically switch the interface to show whatever is connected to the video input socket marked REAR.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0199.jpg
FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0200.jpg

Inside the case is a custom made PCB. This PCB is common to both 6.5" and 8.8" models since all that is different is the embedded software of the interface.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0197.jpg

The package is rounded off with a small infrared remote control (only one button on the remote is ACTUALLY USED), battery for remote, infrared remote eye, power cable and the two LCD signal cables. A basic instruction sheet is included as well.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0203.jpg

The following images show the interface connected up and in place within the upper dashboard section. Bear in mind that my car is RHD and therefore the interface is pushed into the void to the LEFT of the iDrive screen. The unit basically sits between the screen and the front passenger airbag cavity. There is no danger of fouling up the airbag deployment - there is enough space there. One tip for installation, use some padding to ensure that the interface doesn't rattle inside the dahsboard. Don't rely on friction to hold it in place. I found that a couple strips of VELCRO stuck to the top and bottom of interface did the job. For LHD cars, you need to install the interface to the RIGHT of the screen.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0213.jpg
FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0212.jpg

IMPORTANT: There is ANOTHER WAY of getting 12V supply to the interface instead of looping down to the steering column as described in the instructions. You can tap into the 12v supply to the iDrive screen itself. For my car, I made a harness adapter that splits the 12v off the power cable to the iDrive screen. Suffice to say that it is 100% plug and play, using BMW connectors and not a splice ANYWHERE. I'll post details of how to get this from me later on...

The last series of images below show the unit in action. The input source I used for these pictures were from a DVD player and DIVX HD player (Silverscreen). Shots from The Peacemaker and The Italian Job. I do NOT have images of the 6.5" iDrive screen in action because I didn't take my cameras with me when I borrowed an E60 with BusNAV from a dealer. They let me disassemble their demo car to test for functionality of the interface. I can confirm that the 6.5" model of the interface WORKS.

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dsc_1577.jpg
FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-dscn0225.jpg
FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface-d2x_0205.jpg

You will note that the picture is now displayed ENTIRELY in the iDrive screen. There is NO BLANK section to the right of the display in the 8.8" models now!!!

On certain input sources/devices, you MAY notice aspect ratio distortion caused by the extra width of the 8.8" screen, but this can be corrected by adjusting the aspect ratio settings of your input device. At the very worst, you will get slightly fatter people than normal. The 6.5" model has no particular aspect ratio problems since it is more "normal" in terms of physical screen aspect ratio.

========================

You will no doubt know now that this interface is working, displays the right pictures etc....

HOWEVER, there is one small caveat... there is a slight glitch in the autodetect/sync function. This glitch has been reported to Dominic by myself already and hopefully it will be quick to fix. It should just be re-programming rather than hardware re-designing!

THIS GLITCH ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE THAT WANT TO DISPLAY PAL INPUTS USING THE INTERFACE (6.5" and 8.8" models). NTSC USERS DO NOT HAVE THIS GLITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

I will describe the glitch by giving you TWO scenarios:

Scenario ONE:

V1 Input has a DVD player connected PAL OUTPUT : Region - not relevant
V2 Input has a Sony Playstation connected PAL OUTPUT

You switch on the DVD player. Then you switch the iDrive interface ON and select V1 input. You get an expected PAL picture from the DVD player.

You switch the iDrive interface to V2 input. You expect to see the Sony PS2 PAL picture... DOES NOT WORK. You will get a BLACK screen with occasional flickering. This is because the autodetect algorithm has not detected the PAL sync from the V2 input. It doesn't matter what you connect.... if it is outputting PAL, there will be no picture.

REASON: When the autodetect mechanism works for the FIRST time from interface power up, it successfully detects the signal type - NTSC or PAL. When you SUBSEQUENTLY change input sources, the autodetect FAILS and the interface DEFAULTS TO NTSC.

Scenario TWO:

V1 Input has a Silverscreen HD DIVX player set at NTSC ouput
V2 Input has a Sony Playstation connected with PAL output

You switch on the interface and Silverscreen. You get an expected NTSC picture on the iDrive screen. Everything OK at this point. You now SWITCH to the V2 input. You now get a BLANK screen because the autodetect has not successfully switched into PAL mode from a NTSC input previously.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>My Conclusions:</span>

For anyone ONLY interested in NTSC playback and switching -

If you haven't got it already, then BUY THIS NOW! If you already have a previous version of the interface, I would still suggest upgrading it because the FULL 8.8" picture is FANTASTIC! Much better than seeing a 2/3 picture on the left and a blank in the right 1/3..... For 6.5" screen owners.... you now have an interface that will work for you!!!

For anyone needing ANY KIND of PAL playback -

Bear with us as I am sure that Dominic will get the interface programmers to fix the glitch and I promise to test again ASAP. I am FULLY expecting that I will hopefully receive a PROM chip that I will just plug into the interfaces that I have already and do a quick 10 minute test.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope that it is useful to those European and Far East members that have been "dying" for a PAL version of this interface. As for me, I AM using the interface now in my car and I get around the switching problem by doing an OFF/ON with the interface where necessary. PAL Users: the interface is 90% COOL - it will be worth the little bit of extra wait time for the autodetect to function 100% of the time.

All the Best

Hobi

PS: My testing included a 16 hour drive-time trip from London to Prague via Buchloe (Alpina), five movies during the journey, a few laps of Nurburgring on GT4, and endless presses of the video input switching button on the remote control...

For those going to IAA... you HAVE to visit the Alpina stand because the B6 Coupe and Cabrio will be there... I have pictures but have promised not to post them until Alpina officially present the car at IAA. All I can say now is that the M6 sounds and drives ordinary... And the rear diffuser on the B6 cabrio is ..... brilliant. The whole B6 package is #*!@*! FANTASTIC!!! Production expected in the 1st half of 2006... Alpina also have a surprise car presenting at IAA...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:08 AM
PS:? My testing included....a few laps of Nurburgring on GT4...
All whilst driving?
Great write up Hurry up with the fix Dominic, I want to order one!!

Look forward to seeing it on the 15th!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$550 buck is quite high for us at the moment. A group of 20 people discount would be great. How about $350 Dominic? I'd buy it in a blink!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

Great review! I may be interested, let's see if we can get a group buy!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

the ultimate one is:
2/3 of the screen is the TV
1/3 is the GPS
think about this one
Old 09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Vitacura' date='Sep 7 2005, 04:23 AM
Great review! I may be interested, let's see if we can get a group buy!
[snapback]167716[/snapback]
The part that i dont understand is; if you play a dvd on the aftermarket player how does the sound of the dvd sound? How is the music/sound connected to the logic 7 system? Does the sound come off all 13 speakers? Does the bass pound like from the logic7 of is there a loss in sound qualety?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi Pmmeke

The sound from your input source, for example, a DVD player mounted in the trunk, is routed into the car audio system using the Audio Aux Input that any BMW dealer can install for you. Once you have this Audio Aux Input, you can connect any source device to it: iPod, DVD, VCR - anything that has a LINE OUT output. You CANNOT connect a Sony Cassette Walkman to it unless the Walkman has a LINE OUT.

You ask about the quality of sound... The quality of sound is no different to that of the sound you get when playing a CD from the changer or CD single slot in the dashboard. The only technical difference is that it is an analogue audio connection instead of a pure digital one.

There is no hiss, pop, transmission interference or RF noise provided you use high quality cables to connect your source input device to the Audio Aux Input.

There are forum members that have plugged in their iPod directly into the Audio Aux Input using a short cable such as Monster iPod cable. Because the cable length is short, the signal is clean. These people have mounted their iPod in the centre console storage area under the armrest, or in the glovebox. In my case, all my input devices are in the trunk with cable runs of approx 5 metres. I am using Stinger cables that are triple shielded with drain wire and twisted audio cores. No RF pickup problems here at all...

The sound comes through the Logic 7 system just like your existing setup: 13 speakers, solid bass etc..

Pmmeke, if you use the Audio Aux Input correctly, the sound of ANY 3rd party aftermarket input device will sound as great as the buit-in CD changers etc.. Remember the computer phrase - GIGO... Garbage In, Garbage Out. Use good quality hardware and you'll get the sound.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi Pmmeke

The sound from your input source, for example, a DVD player mounted in the trunk, is routed into the car audio system using the Audio Aux Input that any BMW dealer can install for you.? Once you have this Audio Aux Input, you can connect any source device to it: iPod, DVD, VCR - anything that has a LINE OUT output.? You CANNOT connect a Sony Cassette Walkman to it unless the Walkman has a LINE OUT.

You ask about the quality of sound...? The quality of sound is no different to that of the sound you get when playing a CD from the changer or CD single slot in the dashboard.? The only technical difference is that it is an analogue audio connection instead of a pure digital one.

There is no hiss, pop, transmission interference or RF noise provided you use high quality cables to connect your source input device to the Audio Aux Input.

There are forum members that have plugged in their iPod directly into the Audio Aux Input using a short cable such as Monster iPod cable.? Because the cable length is short, the signal is clean.? These people have mounted their iPod in the centre console storage area under the armrest, or in the glovebox.? In my case, all my input devices are in the trunk with cable runs of approx 5 metres.? I am using Stinger cables that are triple shielded with drain wire and twisted audio cores.? No RF pickup problems here at all...

The sound comes through the Logic 7 system just like your existing setup: 13 speakers, solid bass etc..

Pmmeke, if you use the Audio Aux Input correctly, the sound of ANY 3rd party aftermarket input device will sound as great as the buit-in CD changers etc..? Remember the computer phrase - GIGO... Garbage In, Garbage Out.? Use good quality hardware and you'll get the sound.?

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167785[/snapback]
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:33 AM
[quote name='Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:16 AM']Hi Pmmeke

The sound from your input source, for example, a DVD player mounted in the trunk, is routed into the car audio system using the Audio Aux Input that any BMW dealer can install for you.? Once you have this Audio Aux Input, you can connect any source device to it: iPod, DVD, VCR - anything that has a LINE OUT output.? You CANNOT connect a Sony Cassette Walkman to it unless the Walkman has a LINE OUT.

You ask about the quality of sound...? The quality of sound is no different to that of the sound you get when playing a CD from the changer or CD single slot in the dashboard.? The only technical difference is that it is an analogue audio connection instead of a pure digital one.

There are forum members that have plugged in their iPod directly into the Audio Aux Input using a short cable such as Monster iPod cable.? Because the cable length is short, the signal is clean.? These people have mounted their iPod in the centre console storage area under the armrest, or in the glovebox.? In my case, all my input devices are in the trunk with cable runs of approx 5 metres.? I am using Stinger cables that are triple shielded with drain wire and twisted audio cores.? No RF pickup problems here at all...

Pmmeke, if you use the Audio Aux Input correctly, the sound of ANY 3rd party aftermarket input device will sound as great as the buit-in CD changers etc..? Remember the computer phrase - GIGO... Garbage In, Garbage Out.? Use good quality hardware and you'll get the sound.?

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167785[/snapback]
Thanks for clearing that up.
[snapback]167788[/snapback]
[/quote]

Great job Hobi,
Once again you've shown us how pro is in action

So, we PAL users are getting nearly there

I'll wait for this "final" fix.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

So if i understand this correctly the lcd out can be wired to a video amplifier and you can even connect the out to 2 lcd screens in the head rests for people at the back?

And the 4 in yellow round connections V 1 to V4 are for input devices sutch as xbox, playstation, rear camera, dvd player,

Quick Reply: FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface