The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Mercedes E350

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started my quest for a new luxury car over a year ago I had already decided on a E320 and at the time I was trying to wait on the new engine, E350, to come out. Some of my family members are MB loyalists so as I said, my mind was made up.

I test the E320 and immediately noticed acceleration and braking seemed to lag. The brakes would bite too hard at times and hitting the accelerator seemed to hesitate. I figured this was something I would have to get use to since I knew it wasn't the demo car because I later heard and read the same thing from other people/magazines articles.

All I knew is I wanted a luxury car and MB was it, and as far as bimmers go I never had an opinion on them either way, I knew they existed of course because I saw them on the road but again I didn't like or dislike them.

well, one day I after talking about BMWs with a few people, I decided what the hell, cant hurt to test drive the comparable model to the E320. So I ended up test driving a 525,530,545. First off braking and acceleration had zero lag, I pressed the gas it went, I press the brake it stopped. It also had this solid feel to it.

At one point during the test drive I took a 35mph curve at 55mph and the car hung the curve as if driving on rails, a weird smile came across my face. By the time I made it back to the dealership I realized a few things had changed:

1. b4 the test drive I wanted luxury, after the test drive I wanted sport/luxury.
2. the MB salesman was going to be upset that he was on the verge of losing a sale

The MB guy offered to let me keep the E320 overnight so I agreed. Drove it home, parked it in the garage to see how it would look, drove it later that night, drove it work, etc,etc,etc. I realized one thing. While the car was "nice" "relaxed" "comforting" , it didnt have that aggressive look/style that makes you want to look back at it after you park or wake up in the middle of the night to check the garage(lol).

As I started to lean more and more toward BMW I realized a couple of more things:

1. They dont call it "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing.
2. When I reach age 55 or so, I will purchase a mercedes.
3. I had to give up a nicer interior and real cup holders.

.....I obliged

AkiraX