The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Merc CLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='257278' date='Mar 19 2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah the front starts the same as the rear ends.
I would not by a cls or any other merc. I often like to drive really sporty, and altough an e60 is quite a big car it doesn't feel it is and nor it looks ugly when driven hard around the bends, doing drifts and stuff. Imagine the same stuff in a cls. It's simply out of place...
give it to a good driver and hell whoop your ass so bad... funny guy, dissing a car hes never even driven
Old 03-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

I'm surprised at how popular the CLS is on this forum.

For me personally it just doesn't work. It sort of epitomises the MB ethos which I would describe as:

"look at me I've got loads of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Each to their own, but the image puts me off and I'd be embarressed to drive one.

In comparison I find the e60 more refined and diffident, but with performance that belies it's size and weight.

I don't have a problem with the appearance, I just think it's form over function, which bothers me. It's trying too hard to look expensive and different and is (for me) a bit 'fur coat and no knickers'.

I also think that the average CLS driver is - how shall we say it - a bit 'older'. This is NOT a young mans car.

It is a car that says - "I am a retired company director and think it is important to remind you that I still earn much more than you ever will - out of my way serf".
Old 03-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='59125' date='Nov 22 2004, 02:43 AM
brilliant......................................... .......thanks iceman
Old 03-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='257569' date='Mar 20 2006, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised at how popular the CLS is on this forum.

For me personally it just doesn't work. It sort of epitomises the MB ethos which I would describe as:

"look at me I've got loads of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Each to their own, but the image puts me off and I'd be embarressed to drive one.

In comparison I find the e60 more refined and diffident, but with performance that belies it's size and weight.

I don't have a problem with the appearance, I just think it's form over function, which bothers me. It's trying too hard to look expensive and different and is (for me) a bit 'fur coat and no knickers'.

I also think that the average CLS driver is - how shall we say it - a bit 'older'. This is NOT a young mans car.

It is a car that says - "I am a retired company director and think it is important to remind you that I still earn much more than you ever will - out of my way serf".
Exactly...and that's not a driver's car. It's a show off car.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

right, lets just disregard all the ferraris/porshces/pagani/lamborghini in the world. they are not drivers cars , they are show off cars
Old 03-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='257687' date='Mar 20 2006, 05:11 PM
right, lets just disregard all the ferraris/porshces/pagani/lamborghini in the world. they are not drivers cars , they are show off cars
BMW and Mercedes compete in a mass market making a wide range of cars for different users. With the possible exception of porsche the above are 'dream cars'.

Porsche used to be a bit 'flash', but they have ridden through this image by only making fast driver orientated cars. They rode a bit close to the wind with the cayenne, which is just a bit too much like a school run chelsea tractor, but get away with it because they are still so quick.

If you want the ultimate - you are going to be choosing between ferrari, porsche, lambo and pagani etc. but this will probably be your second car and you are likely to be rich enough not to care what anyone else thinks

My problem with Mercedes is that they just try too hard. My brother in law has just bought a c180 and it's full of bling, but probably doesn't drive much better than an average ford mondeo.

In comparison BMW is a model of restraint.

Just my opinion - I wish I COULD like mercs cause it would give me an alternative to BMW, but it just doesn't feel right. The only model I've ever really liked is the 500sl AMG - especially this sort of age:

But in black not red obviously.

Also - big advantage of AMG's is that you don't have to look at the stupid star on the bonnet when driving.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

I will always be a BMW driver, but for some odd reason I've always thought mercs had better wheel designs. Also, whenever I see the CLS 55 on the road I get a strange sense of desire to cross over to the mb side. These cars are generally heavier than BMWs, but they handle prettry impressively. My friend just got the SLK 55 AMG...wholly crapp that thing was a headturner, 0-60 felt like a blink of an eye.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='257696' date='Mar 20 2006, 07:45 PM
BMW and Mercedes compete in a mass market making a wide range of cars for different users. With the possible exception of porsche the above are 'dream cars'.

Porsche used to be a bit 'flash', but they have ridden through this image by only making fast driver orientated cars. They rode a bit close to the wind with the cayenne, which is just a bit too much like a school run chelsea tractor, but get away with it because they are still so quick.

If you want the ultimate - you are going to be choosing between ferrari, porsche, lambo and pagani etc. but this will probably be your second car and you are likely to be rich enough not to care what anyone else thinks

My problem with Mercedes is that they just try too hard. My brother in law has just bought a c180 and it's full of bling, but probably doesn't drive much better than an average ford mondeo.

In comparison BMW is a model of restraint.

Just my opinion - I wish I COULD like mercs cause it would give me an alternative to BMW, but it just doesn't feel right. The only model I've ever really liked is the 500sl AMG - especially this sort of age:

But in black not red obviously.

Also - big advantage of AMG's is that you don't have to look at the stupid star on the bonnet when driving.
The old SL is widely regarded as the last properly built Merc. Its got a real playboy car cool about it. And it ages much better than the current one which already looks dated.