The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M5 vs CTS-V - Motortrend

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like someone mentioned earlier, owning a BMW is like being in an exclusive club that few other manufacturers can boast about. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche come to mind immediately, where all the cars in the lineups are also great cars on the track, which is something else few manufacturers can boast about. It is "heritage." Can Cadillac say the same? Do they win races? Do they even race? What, you make one car that's good on the track and we can forget that the rest of the cars are used as hearses or are owned by a now-bankrupt GM?

I'll admit, I feel bad sometimes that the CTS-V could beat almost all cars, as far as the numbers indicate, including a stock BMW, but is it really that bad? I'm pretty sure my previous statement was pretty accurate; that the BMW lineup is an incredible balance between performance and luxury (performance ALOT more than luxury, though) and that every car from the lineup would give the driver a good time on track, be it a 125i convertible or an M3/5/6. I'll make one last analogy and that is it's like players on the Yankees feeling bad about Zack Greinke, on the Royals, outpitching their pitching staff and being the best, right now, in the majors. It doesn't matter, because the Yankees have the heritage of winning 20+ WS titles, so many legends in the HOF, a team full of all-stars, and a loyal fanbase. BMW is in the same boat. They let the competitors catch up to them the past couple of years, but fans and critics of BMW know that they'll break out of the funk, put an M5 that will pop the CTS-V in it's mouth, and retake it's throne as the top sedan. It's like the Genesis "boasting" about it defeating all these cars in different tests. Who cares? It's still a Hyundai, and not to step on toes or be a smartass, Hyundai has the image of a minority driving it with missing hubcaps and 4 kids scrunched in the back. No one will respect or remember it in a few years.

Not to mention the CTS-V robbed the 'vette of its engine, only "slightly detuned." At least BMW keeps the engines within the family and doesn't need to blow MB for an engine donation. Although, I did remember reading once that the turbos in the N54 were provided by Mitsubishi, though I dunno how true that is.