The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M5 vs CTS-V - Motortrend

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='894392' date='May 29 2009, 07:35 PM
FYI, it makes the win more impressive because Motor Trend and Car & Driver have been known for years to have a BMW bias.

I don't get why it is hard for people to realize GM made a car better in all performance catagories, including handling. The M5 has been out for years so it was time for it to fall. The next M5 will take back its crown.
+2.

The E60 M5 has been out for years. Not surprisingly, the state of the art of automotive performance has moved on. When BMW drops in the monster TT V8 engine (in terms of bhp and torque -- not displacement) from the X5M and X6M into the F10 M5, it will be just as fast, if not faster, than the CTS-V.

But let's call it like it is. The CTS-V is faster than the E60 M5. If you game is sheer speed, the CTS-V trumps the E60 M5. Period, end of story.

I love BMW and hate GM. GM, by and large, makes crappy cars with crappy interiors. That's why GM is circling the drain. I'd never buy a CTS-V over a E60 M5. But it is simply indisputable that the CTV-S is faster. And at some $40K less than a M5, that really pisses me off. The F10 M5 can't come fast enough and it galls me that a GM car has more performance than our top BMW performance sedan. But there you have it. The numbers don't lie.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='894555' date='May 29 2009, 10:06 PM
Who cares? Better engines than the V10 haven't won engine of the year, and more to the point it's utterly meaningless. Nothing particularly novel in a V10 either. Dodge got there before BMW, as did Ford... And Porsche... and Lamborghini...

As for the supercharger, it's no copout. In the LSA powerplant it produces 595 lb/ft of torque across a wide powerband. BMW's V10 maxes out a 393 lb/ft only at the top of the rev band.

Both are great engines. The CTS-V motor just goes about its business in a different way.

The BMW motor has won Engine of the year at least twice that I know of. I'm sure that Cadillac would be fun to drift around a track. That torque would be nice - no doubt about it. Personally, I dig what BMW has done with the NA motor. I love everything about it - and as I said, I think the supercharger is less reliable and will lead to problems - just like it did for Mercedes.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Well, GM/Cadillac came a long way with this version of CTS-V, quite an improvement in design and performance. But its just a little too late in the game. Can it beat and out last the M5 in a long run? Well, only time will tell (assuming GM survives). My money is on BMW M.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60cs5' post='894584' date='May 29 2009, 08:51 PM
The BMW motor has won Engine of the year at least twice that I know of. I'm sure that Cadillac would be fun to drift around a track. That torque would be nice - no doubt about it. Personally, I dig what BMW has done with the NA motor. I love everything about it - and as I said, I think the supercharger is less reliable and will lead to problems - just like it did for Mercedes.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion.
Well you can kiss BMW NA M-motors good bye. All future M-models are moving to FI. So you can start calling BMW copouts too.

I can almost guarantee the supercharged lump in the CTS-V will be more reliable in the long run that the high-revving, high compression V10 lump in the M5.

GM produces the normally aspirated V8 LS7 in the Z06 which produces 5hp more than the M5 and aboslutely crushes it in the torque.

You could really say GM produces the best of both worlds, the NA monster in the Z06 or the FI monster in the ZR1/CTS-V.

Yes the M5 is an incredible car, with an incredible engine. But to say GM is copout for using a supercharger, is really ignorant. Too be 100% honest, FI is the future of the entire automotive industry, so get use to it.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='894663' date='May 30 2009, 01:04 AM
Well you can kiss BMW NA M-motors good bye. All future M-models are moving to FI. So you can start calling BMW copouts too.

I can almost guarantee the supercharged lump in the CTS-V will be more reliable in the long run that the high-revving, high compression V10 lump in the M5.

GM produces the normally aspirated V8 LS7 in the Z06 which produces 5hp more than the M5 and aboslutely crushes it in the torque.

You could really say GM produces the best of both worlds, the NA monster in the Z06 or the FI monster in the ZR1/CTS-V.

Yes the M5 is an incredible car, with an incredible engine. But to say GM is copout for using a supercharger, is really ignorant. Too be 100% honest, FI is the future of the entire automotive industry, so get use to it.

LOL. that's laughable.

FI is absolutely not inevitable. Nor is it determined that the new M5 with be FI. FI is speculation. I've heard from reliable sources that it's going to be the 5.5 liter and stay NA.

How do you know that a GM motor is going to outlast the V10 in the M5? Come on. Is it that they built such incredibly reliable amazing motors that it drove them to bankruptcy? Pshhh give me a freakin break. Supercharged motors on the whole NEVER last as long as a NA motor.

And It's not sheer speculation. I just sold my Z06 - And I liked the car a lot, but it was all brute force and lacked a lot of refinement. Yeah, on a track it would beat the M5, no arguments there,- (not by much) The reviews state that GM's best sportscar is fast, but feels like a sloppy pig compared to other refined vehicles. (Keep in mind I've owned it and driven the hell out of it) It was fun but lacked all kinds of technology and refinement. I told my friends..give me car to beat the crap out of on the track for 2 days, I'll probably take the vette, but give me something I have to keep for a few months and that's an easy decision - M5

How can you be so confident to claim that banktupt GM's motor is going to outlast one of the most highly acclaimed motors of this decade? Feel free to point me in the direction of post showing mass engine failure, etc....

I think GM has made great strides. I loved my Vette. But come on....
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='894392' date='May 30 2009, 07:35 AM
FYI, it makes the win more impressive because Motor Trend and Car & Driver have been known for years to have a BMW bias.

I don't get why it is hard for people to realize GM made a car better in all performance catagories, including handling. The M5 has been out for years so it was time for it to fall. The next M5 will take back its crown.
can't believe anyone will believe mota trend, buy a real performance mag like EVO, where the test drivers already have Zondas and other cars themselves and not some pencil neck journalist, same goes for Top gear, they are entertainers only.
Long live the M5
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60cs5' post='894676' date='May 29 2009, 11:23 PM
LOL. that's laughable.
Trust me your posts are laughable.

You are way out of the loop. Yes the next M5 will be FI. The next M5 will be sporting a new twin-turbo V8, like the new X5M/X6M.

Also recently, Ludwig Willisch (CEO of M-division) let it slip that the next generation M3 will have a turbo 6-cylinder.

These are facts, you can believe or not. All info is out there. So yes, in a since you are calling BMW copouts too.

If you don't believe FI is the future of the automotive industry, you are clueless. With tighter emissions standards, it will be the only way to generate high HP.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='894689' date='May 30 2009, 01:51 AM
Trust me your posts are laughable.

You can do better than that, please?

You are way out of the loop. Yes the next M5 will be FI. The next M5 will be sporting a new twin-turbo V8, like the new X5M/X6M.

Also recently, Ludwig Willisch (CEO of M-division) let it slip that the next generation M3 will have a turbo 6-cylinder.

These are facts, you can believe or not. All info is out there. So yes, in a since you are calling BMW copouts too.
Glad you have all the "Facts" on unreleased cars that are 2-3 years in the future, you must be God-like
Now that you've proclaimed it - it must be. - my bad.

You should proclaim the other things like the GM motors being the best in the world - might save GM from bankruptcy and convice all kinds of car buffs to switch to Cadillacs.

If you don't believe FI is the future of the automotive industry, you are clueless. With tighter emissions standards, it will be the only way to generate high HP.
Yes, that's the only future of the car industry. Again- I defer to your ultimate wisdom

GM is going to build the most incredible FI motors in the world. With their banktupt asses, their Hummers, SUV's and 8.0 liter sports cars, they're going to make this world ECO-FRIENDLY!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Lets see if the can continue to produce this as an ongoing vehicle and start to build a legacy , I doubt they have the balls to do it as a real part of the Caddie portfolio............
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='894863' date='May 30 2009, 09:01 AM
Lets see if the can continue to produce this as an ongoing vehicle and start to build a legacy , I doubt they have the balls to do it as a real part of the Caddie portfolio............
They probably have the balls, but not the cash... Shame, it's better for all of us when manufacturers turn out vehicles that keep the benchmark players on their toes.

Quick Reply: M5 vs CTS-V - Motortrend