The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M45 versus 545

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Aug 17 2005, 01:14 PM
Oh, geez.? The M45 is an okay car.? In fact, I'd probably own one as my fourth or fifth vehicle.? ? I just get tired of Japanese car owners jumping on here trying to justify their purchases.? ? How about the M45 board??

And, if current BMW owners weren't at least partially interested in brand prestige and just wanted to buy a car they could push to the limit, I suppose we'd all save 35 grand and trade for Lancer Evolutions with that little Japanese psuesdo-whale tail on the rear.
[snapback]160385[/snapback]
Last time i check, I am about to become a E60 owner. Moreover, I have owned more than my share of German cars. My M5 is going to be my 4th BMW, and 3rd M car. I would think that would make me more than just a japanese car owner trying to justify their purchases.

Come to think of it, why should i justify it? I know I bought as good of a car in M45 and paid $10k less, which will go toward my next purchase (probably the new RS6).

Evo is a track car that is never intended to be everyday car. Hence not in the same category as the E60. My point is that majority of E60 owners will never take their E60 to their limit. So to say with absolute conviction that E60 is best handling executive luxury car is absurd, because majority of you will never be able to tell the difference nor push the car to it limit where the difference is there.

Brand prestige means nothing to me. To majority of people here it probably does a lot to boost the suffering ego.

I like M cars, because simply put, its a great car that does not really stand out in the crowd (although bangle has kind of changed that with the E46 M3 and E60 M5). If lexus makes a M car, I will buy one. Heck, if anyone other than BMW makes a car like the M3 or M5 i will probably get one.

Why put up with shitty service and lousy dealership? BMW brand does not have a great prestige (at least to me). Their M car on the other hand sells itself. I just don't think BMW's regular offering offers enough substance to justify its price nor its crappy dealers.

Your response is so typical egoistic response. Owning a BMW= "have" in society. Man you do live in shallow world.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

Well, I just got back from my test drive.

Lucky for me I found another dealer (like the BMW dealer) who was willing to let me drive the car. Hint for all those looking for a dark blue M45 sport at Infinit Mission Viejo - don't buy it, I just ruined 'break in'.

Anyway, it's better than I expected. The power is fantastic, the interior materials are excellent - the piano dashboard is ok, but the huge white buttons are rather lame and Readers Digest Large Print-ish to me. The toys are phenomenal - the park assist and camera are unreal. Voice commands work quite well, push button start is always fun, and the driving position is much better than it looks like it will be when you look at the car from outside.

Gauges are fantastic - wish all sports sedans had gauges this cool.

It handles very well, and the sport package allows you to slide a bit in a power turn before kicking in the traction control. Overall, though, the nod still goes to the 545i in the driving experience - the Bimmer feels much lighter, the steering has much more feedback and precision, and the experience of driving just isn't matched in the M45 to me. The M45 has heavier steering feel, and seems a bit top heavy yet still remains firmly planted. The car feels its weight (like the A8L) but has the power to overcome it easily.

M45 gets the nod for interior, power (until the 550i comes along), and toys (by a LONG shot)

545i gets the nod for handling, driving dynamics, and overall drive experience.

It may come down to price, as they are closer than I expected. All things equal I'd take the 545i immediately, but because there IS a 10k difference, the balance does change a bit. I'm going to look into the 550i ED in a lease, as I have to lease my cars, so if BMW still has great money factors, the tables may be evenly set, and my nod will go to the BMW. While I love the toys, the BMW has some too, just not as advanced of toys and not as much fun to play with - in the end for me it comes down to driving, and to have a car that is almost as much fun as my Boxster S as a freeway driver - one I can throw around when the opportunity presents itself - that's a lot of value to me.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 04:11 PM
Well, I just got back from my test drive.

Lucky for me I found another dealer (like the BMW dealer) who was willing to let me drive the car.? Hint for all those looking for a dark blue M45 sport at Infinit Mission Viejo - don't buy it, I just ruined 'break in'.?

Anyway, it's better than I expected.? The power is fantastic, the interior materials are excellent - the piano dashboard is ok, but the huge white buttons are rather lame and Readers Digest Large Print-ish to me.? The toys are phenomenal - the park assist and camera are unreal.? Voice commands work quite well, push button start is always fun, and the driving position is much better than it looks like it will be when you look at the car from outside.

Gauges are fantastic - wish all sports sedans had gauges this cool.

It handles very well, and the sport package allows you to slide a bit in a power turn before kicking in the traction control.? Overall, though, the nod still goes to the 545i in the driving experience - the Bimmer feels much lighter, the steering has much more feedback and precision, and the experience of driving just isn't matched in the M45 to me.? The M45 has heavier steering feel, and seems a bit top heavy yet still remains firmly planted.? The car feels its weight (like the A8L) but has the power to overcome it easily.?

M45 gets the nod for interior, power (until the 550i comes along), and toys (by a LONG shot)

545i gets the nod for handling, driving dynamics, and overall drive experience.

It may come down to price, as they are closer than I expected.? All things equal I'd take the 545i immediately, but because there IS a 10k difference, the balance does change a bit.? I'm going to look into the 550i ED in a lease, as I have to lease my cars, so if BMW still has great money factors, the tables may be evenly set, and my nod will go to the BMW.? While I love the toys, the BMW has some too, just not as advanced of toys and not as much fun to play with - in the end for me it comes down to driving, and to have a car that is almost as much fun as my Boxster S as a freeway driver - one I can throw around when the opportunity presents itself - that's a lot of value to me.
[snapback]160396[/snapback]

The 545 is just as fast as the M. No? The M45 interior materials have come up short on virtually every review I've read. Ever see how a G35 interior or any Nissan looks after a couple years? Dash and gauges are not getting high marks either. e60 lacks advanced toys? What about Valvetronic, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, and the Advanced Light Weight Construction.

And I-Drive

CVT Benhogan
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Members

Went through the same decision - until my duaghter told me the M45 looked like a Jetta!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, ripman ! your daughter is one smart girl .
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: [b]CURRENT RIDE[/b] 1990 E34 535i Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Ski pass-through Halogen ellipsoid headlights and fog lights Winter package Repainted Imola Red Clear front Corners Rear Clear Corners Rocker Panels Painted DINAN engine chip 10 Disc CD Changer BMP Lowering Springs Racing Dynamics 17" RSG Wheels with 235/40/17 Tires M5 Skirt Package

Originally Posted by MMAfia' date='Aug 17 2005, 01:34 PM
Nice car BTW- looks very 'clean' the way you've modded it.
MMAfia
[snapback]160296[/snapback]
Thx Dude - that was my goal, make it clean yet aggressive
...dying for the 545, just have to wait for now...
BTW my E34 535 still drives really good for it's age..
Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Members

This is how I rank the mid-luxury sports sedan in stylings:

Exterior styling
1. BMW 5-series
2. Infiniti M45/M35
3. Acura RL
4. Mercedes-Benz E-class
5. Lexus GS430/GS300
6. Audi A6
7. Cadillac STS

Interior styling
1. Lexus GS430/GS300
2. Mercedes-Benz E-class
3. Acura RL
4. Audi A6
5. Infiniti M45/M35
6. BMW 5-series
7. Cadillac STS

But this is just how I see them, simply my personal feelings.