The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M45 versus 545

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I went through the exact same thing... it was either gonna be the M45 of the 545i. I took a look at the A6 and I remember scrapping it as an option at the dealer... i had a chance to really look at it for a while on the showroom and it really looked way too bland for me. I just couldn't get over how it made me yawn looking at it. Actually, I was more intrigued by the A8 next to it which IMO looks quite nice outside and especially inside. But I just came from a 745Li and I had enough of of Limo sized sedans for now.

Anyway, back to the M45... it looks nice... until you look at it from the back. Ever tail one on the highway?? those huuuge rear lights kill it for me. The front and sides look sorta nice though... but IMO, the G35 coupe still looks WAY better than the M45. But you say the G35 is a coupe though and not a sedan. Well, IMO, the 545i Sport looks better than the G35 coupe, AND it's a sedan.

So, as others have said here, I KNEW that if i got the M45, each time I saw a 545 or 550 on the road, I'd be thinking that I wish I had the Bimmer instead. To me, that was the nail in the coffin.

Along with manual transmission option the bimmer offers. Oh, and the goosebumps I get after succumbing to my car's constant begging to be pushed to its limits. Even to the supermarket. And intentionally keep the RPMs high in each gear. FUN factor 10!!! And it just so happens to have 4 doors and enough space to be practical.

Nice car BTW- looks very 'clean' the way you've modded it.

MMAfia
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Marven' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:57 PM
hey all!
As some of you may know I am looking to get a E60 545 in the next 5months or so...however I have been reading all the posts and see that quite a few people are having differant issues/problems with their 545's....the Infiniti M45 is almost $10000 cheaper and it's more powerful and has the same features...however it's not just a BMW and mine is 16 yrs old and has served me well...so my question is has anyone made this comparison? If so I would be interested in in their opinions...it's more expensive than the M45 and the Lexus GS430....with less options...I must admit my brother has a G35 and the way it sounds and drives - it's impressive..I want to stay loyal to BMW but I am having second thoughts

My second question is the price of the 545 - should I consider the 530?? Is there a HUGE differance?? Just a side note I plan on keeping this car for the next 10 years...comments?

Thx
Marven
[snapback]151396[/snapback]

Hi there,

I always like commenting on this type of topic. Unfortunately, I've haven't driven the M45 and maybe if I'm real bored I might.

First off, there is much talk about BMW reliability and, for that matter, German car reliability. German cars are more complicated in terms of manfacture and design. You should see the intricate design of the tool box and jack in the truck of my Audi. Amazing. The main point here is many people own thier car during the warranty period and things get fixeed. I don't see a rash issues here on this site. Also, for a car nut I don't mind going to the dealer every once in awhile for service. I buy for pleasure and not reliability only. I want my clothes washer to be 100% reliable. German cars have improved in intial quality and BMW ranked 2nd in customer satisfaction behind Toyota in a recent survey.

As for Style, I'm biased but the M45 looks like shite. A bloated G35 with a goofy interior. As much as Auto press knock the E60 interior, IMHO its tasteful, clean and purposeful. Only Audi makes a better interior. The exteior is wonderful and unique. Love the design and Chris Bangle will grow on everyone sooner or later.

I-Drive, only idiots don't get it. Congrats to BMW for seeing the future and everyone on this board likes it. While theres a few glitches including booting, nobody needs 50 buttons on their dash. The autopress be damned.

Handling, its a great car and every critic will acknowledge the E60 drives the best. Even the M5 outdrives the new Ferrari Mondena. Sure others have gotten closer, but an E60 with a sport package and V8 will outdrive any of its competitors.

Value, you pay a premium to drive the best and the most unique car. A simply fact of life. It feels better when you consider the attractive lease rates, the great resale value and the fact you can do European delivery and save a bundle.

In closing, I really doubt that any E60ers wished they were driving a Japanese sports sedan. They might feel like they paid too much and wished thier payments were lower. IMHO, I'd rather overpay a bit and be happy with the car I'm driving. Thats what counts.

Just my four cents.

CVT Benhogan

An V8 E60 will be mine before Dec.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

It all comes down to matters of cash, or we wouldn't be having this discussion every day.

If you want good "value," by all means, buy the Japanese car. However, if you want maximum fun; maximum prestige; maximum sophistication; maximum clout whenever you drive anywhere; and you don't want to have to keep having to justify your Japanese car purchase by telling everyone that "I could have had a BMW, but I wanted to save 10 grand," then get the BMW.

It reminds me of when I was younger, and had just purchased a Z3 Roadster. I was at a party, talking to some folks, mostly hot, young (over 18, of course) chicks. The girls and I were discussing something mindless, as I recall, when this jackass comes up to me and says, loudly, "I just bought a Toyota Spyder and it's almost as fast as your BMW but cost $10,000.00 less." They all looked at that cheap, goofy assclown like he was from Mars, and he went home in his little yellow Spyder, quickly and alone.

With BMW, you're either a "have" or a "have not." So, please. Get the Bimmer. You'll feel great about yourself the next morning.

Just my (correct) two cents.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Aug 17 2005, 11:12 AM
It all comes down to matters of cash, or we wouldn't be having this discussion every day.?

If you want good "value," by all means, buy the Japanese car.? However, if you want maximum fun; maximum prestige; maximum sophistication; maximum clout whenever you drive anywhere; and you don't want to have to keep having to justify your Japanese car purchase by telling everyone? that "I could have had a BMW, but I wanted to save 10 grand," then get the BMW.

It reminds me of when I was younger, and had just purchased a Z3 Roadster.? I was at a party, talking to some folks, mostly hot, young (over 18, of course) chicks.? ? The girls and I were discussing something mindless, as I recall, when this jackass comes up to me and says, loudly, "I just bought a Toyota Spyder and it's almost as fast as your BMW but cost $10,000.00 less."? ? They all looked at that cheap, goofy assclown like he was from Mars, and he went home in his little yellow Spyder, quickly and alone.?

With BMW, you're either a "have" or a "have not."? So, please.? ? Get the Bimmer.? You'll feel great about yourself the next morning.

Just my (correct) two cents.
[snapback]160322[/snapback]

Here is what I don't get. Did you all buy a car based on PRESTIGE? or let the truth come out "buying a car for Ego boost".

It seems to me this board is now turning into mbworld.org, which ego rules.

So buying a BMW get you laid more. So what? A lot of you probably don't even take the car to the limit to be able to tell a difference.

Have or have not is based on a BMW? I feel sorry for people to see things that way. Never thought owning a BMW is "have". Heck, in grand world of things, owning a BMW is not top of the world.

But then again, I guess even a 525i driver with 6 speed think he is god in the thread, so its pointless to even have a decent discussion.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Members

KrispyKreme,

You are right about the ego thing - I do not purchase cars for that reason, however, and 'getting laid' is not really a consideration for a vehicle for me because I'm married, and to get laid when married takes either alcohol, sweet talking, or jewels.

I, however, DO take the car to the limit - I enjoy performance driving and participate in half a dozen or more short track series events as a licensed driver with Porsche Owners Club in my Boxster S. To me, having a car that drives well AND takes all my passengers and cargo will be a great plus. I will still have the Boxster S or another Porsche as my 'fun car', but what a bonus to have a performance SEDAN as well, as my daily driver!

I doubt the A6 is as wonderful to drive as the 545i sport was, as it has quattro and invariably is heavier and has pull from the front wheels. The M45 is bearing serious consideration based on what I've read and I want to go this afternoon and drive one and just put it to bed - find out if it is indeed as good as the 545i I drove last night. If so, let the games begin.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 11:41 AM
KrispyKreme,

You are right about the ego thing - I do not purchase cars for that reason, however, and 'getting laid' is not really a consideration for a vehicle for me because I'm married, and to get laid when married takes either alcohol, sweet talking, or jewels.?

I, however, DO take the car to the limit - I enjoy performance driving and participate in half a dozen or more short track series events as a licensed driver with Porsche Owners Club in my Boxster S.? To me, having a car that drives well AND takes all my passengers and cargo will be a great plus.? I will still have the Boxster S or another Porsche as my 'fun car', but what a bonus to have a performance SEDAN as well, as my daily driver!

I doubt the A6 is as wonderful to drive as the 545i sport was, as it has quattro and invariably is heavier and has pull from the front wheels.? The M45 is bearing serious consideration based on what I've read and I want to go this afternoon and drive one and just put it to bed - find out if it is indeed as good as the 545i I drove last night.? If so, let the games begin.
[snapback]160339[/snapback]
Good luck.

The M45 will handle as well as 545i. however, you will not like its steering over the 545i. This is one thing the Japanese still lacks in their offering.

If the 545i has been priced at same point as M45, i would probably have two E60 in the stable.

Since I am getting my M soon, plus $10k more for slightly better steering response really wasn't a good deal.

At least you got the other cars off the list (there really is no need to drive a A6, W211, X-type, and GS).

Steering response is not a thing that can be changed. So if this is important to you, than 545i would be a far better choice for you.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

I already have a W211 E500 - aka 'the land barge'. Great luxury, great pickup, fantastic engine, but handles like a boat. That's what I'm replacing.

Did you get your M5 for MSRP? The lying dealer I was at last night said they are getting 30k over!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

You can't beat the ride of the BMW.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Oh, geez. The M45 is an okay car. In fact, I'd probably own one as my fourth or fifth vehicle. I just get tired of Japanese car owners jumping on here trying to justify their purchases. How about the M45 board?

And, if current BMW owners weren't at least partially interested in brand prestige and just wanted to buy a car they could push to the limit, I suppose we'd all save 35 grand and trade for Lancer Evolutions with that little Japanese psuesdo-whale tail on the rear.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 11:55 AM
I already have a W211 E500 - aka 'the land barge'.? Great luxury, great pickup, fantastic engine, but handles like a boat.? That's what I'm replacing.

Did you get your M5 for MSRP?? The lying dealer I was at last night said they are getting 30k over!
[snapback]160346[/snapback]
E500- the land barge. You know I totally agree. But wait until you try the E55, that thing actually felt even worse than E500 (other than the power of course).

BTW, if you can tolerate E500, you will survive M45 easily.

I got my M5 for MSRP. Although I needed help from another member in this forum to get it. My is schedule for production for week 37. Silver Gray with silverstone interior.

All BMW dealers blows, (well in bay area at least). I don't know where your dealer is, but if it is in silicon valley, I am not surpised that the dealer is getting 30k over.

People in N. Cal will overpay for anything.

Quick Reply: M45 versus 545