The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, they will never say anything if the parents are with them. you might be their potential customer, who knows. but if the kids are without any adults around, they might stare at them, yell at them, scream at them, or even yank them out of the car .
Old 02-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, sapphire black metallic, leather dakota truffle brown, poplar wood trim, run flats on “138-style” rims, xenon headlights with headlight washers, nav pro, PDC, heated sportseats, sport suspension, advanced electronic airco, CD changer, rear airbags, bluetooth, lighting package, cup holders, debadged, alarm.

I've been looking to replace my car (lease due end of April) for at least a month now and couldn't make up my mind between the E60 and the new A6, until I actually drove both. The E60 is a better car by far and the A6 doesn't even come close. I agree that A6 has a great design on the exterior (you have to get used to the big mouth) and the interior isn't that bad either compared to the E60. However, now that I finally made up my mind, I just can't wait to get it...

Just go for a testdrive... I know it sounds obvious and silly perhaps, but that's what made me decide on the right car. Actually, all dealers in the 'hood know me by now as I swing by every weekend begging for a testdrive
Old 02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I fooled around the Merc site and configured a CLS 500 just for giggles and grins.
MSRP of $65,620 and with options to get near my 6er coupe configuration I ended up at $84K, about $7k higher. I left several still on the table as well. And there were so many options, subsets, etc. I was confused by some of the subtle distinctions between options. Some options were broken out in more pieces or increments than BMW had on my 6er, such as audio, nav, etc. Some seemed more expensive for equivelent feature - i.e. Sirius at $699 (or $679 on another page). Seems a bit steep for a dull drivers car and all. Realize, I have no interest in the CLS, just passing the time of day while I wait for my car, hopefully in less than 10 days as it came ashore today in Charleston.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 Lexus HS 250h...looking to get a 2011 535xi

Originally Posted by WeeDee' date='Feb 14 2005, 03:22 AM
I've been looking to replace my car (lease due end of April) for at least a month now and couldn't make up my mind between the E60 and the new A6, until I actually drove both. The E60 is a better car by far and the A6 doesn't even come close. I agree that A6 has a great design on the exterior (you have to get used to the big mouth) and the interior isn't that bad either compared to the E60. However, now that I finally made up my mind, I just can't wait to get it...

Just go for a testdrive... I know it sounds obvious and silly perhaps, but that's what made me decide on the right car. Actually, all dealers in the 'hood know me by now as I swing by every weekend begging for a testdrive?
[snapback]89907[/snapback]
I actually had the exact same experience. I test drove the A6 and thought I was going to get it (cuz I really want AWD). It was nice, but then I walked across the street and test drove a 530. No comparison. (In fact, the BMW salesman told me that the Audi salesman I worked with just ordered a 5-series from him...)

So, after the BMW test drive, I decided to patiently wait for the 530xi...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Feb 13 2005, 12:37 AM
let me ask you guys a simple question.? how many cars on the road under $70k have a "wow" factor?? i can't think of any other than e60 .? i never get tired of looking at a e60.?
Well put, my sentiments exactly.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I went to the M45 Preview today at the Infiniti dealership and Drove the M45... it doesnt have Active Steering and I found it took too much effort, more effort than I would like to steer the car around. At low speed parking lot and in city driving.

Reguarding the M45 vs 545... WOW the M45's engine was smooth!!!! Transmission Power delivery was very very smooth. Quality wise it was NICE.. but not as nice as BMW IMO. Doors were a little cheaper... material used were a little cheaper... driving feel lacked from a "drivers standpoint" not enough road feel. Their "iDrive" was ok... I'm use to the BMW iDrive and like it more. Their "iDrive" was out of reach... its on the dash. and more buttons around it to push. Over all for the price... its ok good buy. But I would still pay the extra $$ for a 545 instead of it if I have to chose all over again.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Feb 18 2005, 02:08 AM
I went to the M45 Preview today at the Infiniti dealership and Drove the M45... it doesnt have Active Steering and I found it took too much effort, more effort than I would like to steer the car around. At low speed parking lot and in city driving.

Reguarding the M45 vs 545... WOW the M45's engine was smooth!!!! Transmission Power delivery was very very smooth. Quality wise it was NICE.. but not as nice as BMW IMO. Doors were a little cheaper... material used were a little cheaper... driving feel lacked from a "drivers standpoint" not enough road feel. Their "iDrive" was ok... I'm use to the BMW iDrive and like it more. Their "iDrive" was out of reach... its on the dash. and more buttons around it to push. Over all for the price... its ok good buy. But I would still pay the extra $$ for a 545 instead of it if I have to chose all over again.
[snapback]91656[/snapback]
I likewise drove the M45; what an uninvolving car. I much prefer the Acura RL to the M45, even with the HP/torque disadvantage. The 545i, of course, blows them both away.

I find myself wondering what Motor Trend saw in the M45. Interior fitments were definitely a step down from BMW, Acura, M-B and Audi. Horsepower is adequate, but the car subjectively feels slower than the 545i (or maybe just slower in the 45-75 range that is most important to me).
Old 02-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

After I drove the RL and the A6 I drove the 545. Absolutely no comparison. I'm currently driving an M3, and what I like abut BMWs is that they make me a good driver. It is almost scary how well these cars handle.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Feb 13 2005, 08:11 PM
your kids are gorgeous, too .
[snapback]89841[/snapback]
It's amazing how much they resemble each other, especially in and around the face...
Old 02-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

I like the post, Fq, and I'm hard to please.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)