The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Feb 12 2005, 11:31 AM
As I have mentioned elsewhere, anyone considering the Audi A6 should drive it over some expansion joints.? This car has a horrible ride.? "Punishing" would not be too strong an adjective.
[snapback]89410[/snapback]

I don't think the A6's suspension is that bad and the chasis quite improved. Compared to the 5er, the A6 feels different mostly due to AWD and the 50/50 split in power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Steering feel will always be comprised by the A6's AWD, particular given the front weight bias (longnitudely mounted engine for safety) and higher overall weight of the car assoicated with a stiff body structure and AWD.

The main benefits of the 5er are the lighter weight 300 to 400 lbs, the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and of course the excellent chasis tuning and related technology. These are the items I like. Until Audi changes quattro power split to more rear bais and sheds weight, it will never come close to a 5er in handling and performance. Based on history, the two brands pursue different visions on car designs. Unlike the Japanese. Lately, both brands have moved closer in strategy with BMW focusing on design and luxury, and Audi striving to put more sport in their lineup.

Each car has its strengthens. The 5er is the better car by a comfortable margin. I'd say the A6 is a luxury car with a theme of rigid and quality construction and AWD safety. The 5er is a driver's sports sedan with a theme of leading edge performance technology and understated modern luxury.

I'd rank the marks like this.

1) BMW - good margin
2) Audi
2) Infinity
3) Lexus - close thrid
4) Cadallic
5) Acura

BMW leads. Despite great new introductions by Infinity, Audi ties Infinity with a better all round lineup, ie. the S4, A8, Avants, and various theme specs and cars. Lexus leads Caddy with a strong history and the ever present technology muscle of Toyota. Caddy's moving up, but their craftmanship and technology (Americans were sleeping for 30 years!!!) still trails. Acura is coming back, but their three new sedans are on top of each other. Like Accord plus one, plus two and plus three. The Jag line has only one car worth mention, nuff said.

Just my two cents.

CVT Benhogan
Old 02-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Oops. Forgot to login. :'(

CVT Benhogan
[snapback]89439[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 02-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

let me ask you guys a simple question. how many cars on the road under $70k have a "wow" factor? i can't think of any other than e60 . i never get tired of looking at a e60. there is a black one parks in the place that i live and another black one parks in the place that i work. i drive by them everyday but still can't control myself looking at them . my gf thinks i'm crazy .

there are many nice cars out there but not many of them will make your head turns. e60 is definitely one of them ! my friend has a e55 which is a lot more expensive than my 530. but when i was in his car, not many people look at us. this is not the case when i was in my car. people inside the cars on the lanes next to me, people on the street, people inside the bus, a lot of them look at me. i don't know what they think. some might think "wtf! what an ugly car!' but i think majority of them think the opposite way .
Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Feb 12 2005, 10:37 PM
let me ask you guys a simple question.? how many cars on the road under $70k have a "wow" factor?? i can't think of any other than e60 .? i never get tired of looking at a e60.? there is a black one parks in the place that i live and another black one parks in the place that i work.? i drive by them everyday but still can't control myself looking at them .? my gf thinks i'm crazy .

there are many nice cars out there but not many of them will make your head turns.? e60 is definitely one of them !? my friend has a e55 which is a lot more expensive than my 530.? but when i was in his car, not many people look at us.? this is not the case when i was in my car.? people inside the cars on the lanes next to me, people on the street, people inside the bus, a lot of them look at me.? i don't know what they think.? some might think "wtf!? what an ugly car!' but i think majority of them think the opposite way .
[snapback]89613[/snapback]
I know exactly what you mean, I notice that I get a lot of other drivers catching up with my 545 but slowing to drive alongside for a while to take a better look. My last car was a G35 coupe (which I still think is a tremendous looking car) and I never got nearly as many "drive bys" as I seem to get in the E60.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:37 AM
fq1
Members

A few pics from the show. My apologies that they are not great pics of the cars since I was focusing more on the kids.

Isn't the F430 absolutely gorgeous!
Attached Thumbnails Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)-auto_show_2005_009_f430.jpg   Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)-auto_show_2005_010_maser.jpg   Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)-auto_show_2005_011_porsche.jpg  
Old 02-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

your kids are gorgeous, too .
Old 02-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Feb 13 2005, 07:07 AM
I know exactly what you mean,? I notice that I get a lot of other drivers catching up with my 545 but slowing to drive alongside for a while to take a better look.? My last car was a G35 coupe (which I still think is a tremendous looking car) and I never got nearly as many "drive bys" as I seem to get in the E60.
[snapback]89701[/snapback]
your g35 is the current skyline in japan. wait until the previous skyline (r34) comes to the states. you'll have those "drive bys" again .
Old 02-13-2005, 05:37 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Feb 13 2005, 08:11 PM
your kids are gorgeous, too .
[snapback]89841[/snapback]
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

just wondering if that guy on the right was trying to chase your kids away or not . probably he was saying in his mind, "don't fxxking lean on a ferrari, kids!"
Old 02-13-2005, 08:29 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:08 AM
just wondering if that guy on the right was trying to chase your kids away or not .? probably he was saying in his mind, "don't fxxking lean on a ferrari, kids!"
[snapback]89877[/snapback]
Actually, he was another show-goer like myself, it just looks in the pic as if he might be trying to say something to my kids. People at the show were actually pretty cool, a few times both the kids were sitting in the driver's seat in the Maseratis, Bentleys and the Porsches together, and none of the officials had any problem with it (not that they were doing anything to damage the vehicles but they are still expensive/rare vehicles and I was concerned that they may not want little kids to sit in them -- especially two to seat).

Quick Reply: Just got back from the Chicago auto show (long)