The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I know this will be unpopular here, what do you think of the 481hp MB

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I have not actually driven one, but they look great and the tests I've seen all have been pretty positive. MBs are great cars, and 481 HP is crazy!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I went down to the MB dealer today and looked at the C63. The rear seat can actually fit two full sized adults. August is when the 2011 models comeout, so I would wait until then.
The bad news is that the residuals and money factors for the AMG cars are way out of line, which makes the car more expensive then it should be on a lease. The residual is 52% on a 36month/12k yr and the interest rate is 8% resulting in a $1300.00 per month payment.
My next step is to see the F10 on April 4th.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pennetta
I went down to the MB dealer today and looked at the C63. The rear seat can actually fit two full sized adults. August is when the 2011 models comeout, so I would wait until then.
The bad news is that the residuals and money factors for the AMG cars are way out of line, which makes the car more expensive then it should be on a lease. The residual is 52% on a 36month/12k yr and the interest rate is 8% resulting in a $1300.00 per month payment.
that seems really high!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Autoweek: Geneva auto show: AMG unveils new twin-turbo V8 engine
By GREG KABLE

A reworked version of the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG sedan will be the first to get the new twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8.Mercedes-Benz's AMG division has taken the wraps off a new four-valves-per-cylinder, twin-turbocharged, 5.5-liter direct-injection V8 gasoline engine destined to appear in all its various performance models as a replacement for today's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8.

Code-named M157, the new 90-degree unit is based around Mercedes-Benz's upcoming twin-turbocharged 4.6-liter V8--the M278 as it's known internally--with a stiffened aluminum block, 98-millimeter-by-90.5-millimeter bore and stroke measurements, 106-millimeter cylinder bore spacing, wet-sump lubrication and total weight--including its dual Garret-Honeywell turbocharger installation--of 450 pounds.

Two distinct versions of the new AMG engine are planned for North America. In standard guise, AMG's new 5.5-liter V8 delivers 544 hp at 5,500 rpm and 590 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,500 rpm--an increase of 19 hp and 125 lb-ft over the existing 6.2-liter V8.

As part of a so-called performance package to be made available on selected models, AMG also developed a more highly tuned version kicking out 571 hp at 5,500 rpm and a whopping 664 lb-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm to 3,750 rpm.

Both engines rev to a maximum of 6,300 rpm.

The first AMG model to receive the new engine will be a reworked version of the S63 AMG set to reach North America this summer, running the same seven-speed MCT gearbox as that found in the E63 AMG.

No performance claims for the new car, which will be previewed at the Geneva motor show by a lightly veiled concept car decked out in the colors of the company's legendary 300 SEL 6.8 AMG race car, but AMG does claim a 25 percent reduction in fuel consumption over the existing S63 AMG with a estimated 23.5 mpg, achieved, in part, by the inclusion of a driver-selectable Controlled Efficiency program. Among other functions, it remaps the gearbox for more economical shift points, including a launch-off mode that sees it select second gear.

Other fuel-saving technology to be included on the new car is the Intelligent Generator Management System seen on the E63 AMG. It uses an alternator which converts kinetic energy created during coasting and braking into electricity and stows it in the battery. The gearbox was also reworked to incorporate a new automatic stop/start system.

According to AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg, the fuel-saving measures included on the S63 AMG will allow it to sneak in under the threshold for the U.S. gas-guzzler tax.

Despite the drop in capacity with the new powerplant, Mercedes-Benz's fast-car offshoot has decided to retain the 63 nomenclature that graces all of its existing models, save for the SLK55 AMG. Speculation had been mounting in recent months that it may readopt the old 55 name. But with more power and torque, AMG ultimately decided the new engine should be, somewhat confusingly, marketed under today's nameplate.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0hGKsQzrO
Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

By GREG KABLE

A reworked version of the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG sedan will be the first to get the new twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8.Mercedes-Benz's AMG division has taken the wraps off a new four-valves-per-cylinder, twin-turbocharged, 5.5-liter direct-injection V8 gasoline engine destined to appear in all its various performance models as a replacement for today's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8.

Code-named M157, the new 90-degree unit is based around Mercedes-Benz's upcoming twin-turbocharged 4.6-liter V8--the M278 as it's known internally--with a stiffened aluminum block, 98-millimeter-by-90.5-millimeter bore and stroke measurements, 106-millimeter cylinder bore spacing, wet-sump lubrication and total weight--including its dual Garret-Honeywell turbocharger installation--of 450 pounds.

Two distinct versions of the new AMG engine are planned for North America. In standard guise, AMG's new 5.5-liter V8 delivers 544 hp at 5,500 rpm and 590 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,500 rpm--an increase of 19 hp and 125 lb-ft over the existing 6.2-liter V8.

As part of a so-called performance package to be made available on selected models, AMG also developed a more highly tuned version kicking out 571 hp at 5,500 rpm and a whopping 664 lb-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm to 3,750 rpm.

The first AMG model to receive the new engine will be a reworked version of the S63 AMG set to reach North America this summer, running the same seven-speed MCT gearbox as that found in the E63 AMG.

No performance claims for the new car, which will be previewed at the Geneva motor show by a lightly veiled concept car decked out in the colors of the company's legendary 300 SEL 6.8 AMG race car, but AMG does claim a 25 percent reduction in fuel consumption over the existing S63 AMG with a estimated 23.5 mpg, achieved, in part, by the inclusion of a driver-selectable Controlled Efficiency program. Among other functions, it remaps the gearbox for more economical shift points, including a launch-off mode that sees it select second gear.

Other fuel-saving technology to be included on the new car is the Intelligent Generator Management System seen on the E63 AMG. It uses an alternator which converts kinetic energy created during coasting and braking into electricity and stows it in the battery. The gearbox was also reworked to incorporate a new automatic stop/start system.

According to AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg, the fuel-saving measures included on the S63 AMG will allow it to sneak in under the threshold for the U.S. gas-guzzler tax.

Despite the drop in capacity with the new powerplant, Mercedes-Benz's fast-car offshoot has decided to retain the 63 nomenclature that graces all of its existing models, save for the SLK55 AMG. Speculation had been mounting in recent months that it may readopt the old 55 name. But with more power and torque, AMG ultimately decided the new engine should be, somewhat confusingly, marketed under today's nameplate.

Read more: http://www.autoweek....7#ixzz0hGKsQzrO
thats ridiculous
Old 03-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

there goes that idea.. seems like were in a similar situation with our leases.. gene's is up after mine and thats all we talk about. what are we going to get next.. i absolutely hate thef10 and i wont get it. plain and simple, but i need 4seats (for shuffling around my boys) and i need h.p (for me!).. so here i am at a dilema.. a big one for me, not for joe though. ugh.. im stressing, ill start a thread over this one day when i feel like venting.. till then im going to wash my car now.. lol
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

By GREG KABLE

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0hGKsQzrO

You have GOT to be kidding me. There goes the new F10 M5. The competition is on once again.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

how about a e55 amg?