The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

BMW is in for a rough road.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:53 PM

" I had no problem with the price for it, but could never justify paying $57K for a similarly equipped 530i. I would rather the Acura RL or even TL or G35. But then I am different. The average US buyer will pay just for the brand."

Just b/c one opts for the 530i doesn't mean they are buying the brand. Its an incredibly arrogant statement (& unfortunately the way a lot of bmw buyers are perceived). We in the US are very fortunate to be able to buy BMWs at the prices we do, considering most markets are considerably higher. It would be great if we have more access to other models, like the turbo deisel.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 9 2005, 03:26 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Jan 9 2005, 04:05 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Jan 9 2005, 03:42 PM']This thread started off really interesting so I tracked it.? Now its just another MBZ vs BMW thread.?? It is way?

So does anyone want to speculate further on the prospects of the Quandts selling out or BMWs next acquistion or new market focus and how these scenarios might effect the future of the company?
[snapback]77548[/snapback]
I think, and its my opinion, that the 530 should have 300 HP, the 545 should have 400 HP and the M5 should be at 550 HP. I know Christmas just passed but I can wish can't I.
[snapback]77556[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems like Pennetta is only interested in HP -- perhaps, when his lease is up, he should consider leasing or buying a GM or Chrysler Hemi car (one can then brag about the great HP they have).

Back to Hormazd's point, the Quandts (like all savvy businessmen) may sell out to an acquirer at the right price. That being said, as explained earlier, the only way BMW can survive independently is to continue innovating and leading (not following) the premium market segment. As for acquisitions, BMW has to acquire market leading premium brands, such as Porsche, to preserve the value of its own market leading position and brand -- in this regard, BMW needs to avoid all of the old British manufacturers, who are holding on for dear life and survival. Other than Porsche, there is no obvious market leading premium brand left. Thus, BMW needs to continue growing its business organically by innovating and expanding its product line and growing its market share.

Contrary to Pennetta's aspirations, automobile innovation is not simply building high HP engines (Ferrari can win Formula 1 titles, but they will not be one of the 10 independent global auto manufacturers of the 21st century). MB, Acura, Infiniti, Jaguar, etc. cannot legitimately compete with the price/performance of BMW, so they market and sell the HP of their engines (and not the entire automobile package/performance) -- BMW cannot lose its focus by responding in kind and adopting a "me too" follower, not leader, approach of these sad competitors.

In the end, the 10 independent global auto manufacturers will probably be as follows: 3 American companies (GM, Ford & Daimler Chrysler), 2 German/European companies (VW & hopefully BMW), 2 Japanese companies (Toyota & either Honda or Nissan), 1 Korean company (Hyundai) and 2 Chinese companies (or 1 Chinese and 1 Indian company). BMW is well short of the survival threshold now (the BMW group only sold about 300K vehicles last year, so they need to seriously increase sales to reach the 2M annual mark or risk being eaten up by VW or an American company).
[snapback]77580[/snapback]
[/quote]

Excellent point, alas I think Porsche are very closely held and cash rich. Not likely to be acquired.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 9 2005, 05:26 PM
Seems like Pennetta is only interested in HP -- perhaps, when his lease is up, he should consider leasing or buying a GM or Chrysler Hemi car (one can then brag about the great HP they have).

Back to Hormazd's point, the Quandts (like all savvy businessmen) may sell out to an acquirer at the right price.? That being said, as explained earlier, the only way BMW can survive independently is to continue innovating and leading (not following) the premium market segment.? As for acquisitions, BMW has to acquire market leading premium brands, such as Porsche, to preserve the value of its own market leading position and brand -- in this regard, BMW needs to avoid all of the old British manufacturers, who are holding on for dear life and survival.? Other than Porsche, there is no obvious market leading premium brand left.? Thus, BMW needs to continue growing its business organically by innovating and expanding its product line and growing its market share.

Contrary to Pennetta's aspirations, automobile innovation is not simply building high HP engines (Ferrari can win Formula 1 titles, but they will not be one of the 10 independent global auto manufacturers of the 21st century).? MB, Acura, Infiniti, Jaguar, etc. cannot legitimately compete with the price/performance of BMW, so they market and sell the HP of their engines (and not the entire automobile package/performance) -- BMW cannot lose its focus by responding in kind and adopting a "me too" follower, not leader, approach of these sad competitors.

In the end, the 10 independent global auto manufacturers will probably be as follows: 3 American companies (GM, Ford & Daimler Chrysler), 2 German/European companies (VW & hopefully BMW), 2 Japanese companies (Toyota & either Honda or Nissan), 1 Korean company (Hyundai) and 2 Chinese companies (or 1 Chinese and 1 Indian company).? BMW is well short of the survival threshold now (the BMW group only sold about 300K vehicles last year, so they need to seriously increase sales to reach the 2M annual mark or risk being eaten up by VW or an American company).
[snapback]77580[/snapback]
Guest, You are unregistered, so we don't even know if you own a BMW. You might be driving the GM that you keep talking about. I did not say BMW had nothing going for it but HP. I got one less than a year ago so obviously I'm for the brand. It is also obvious that I am not concerned about GM or even Lexus, Infiniti or Acura. Prior to my three BMW's I had two Mercedes which I switched from because of BMW's superior performance. In addition to everything that BMW has going for it, it should raise its HP levels.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 9 2005, 03:53 PM
" I had no problem with the price for it, but could never justify paying $57K for a similarly equipped 530i. I would rather the Acura RL or even TL or G35. But then I am different. The average US buyer will pay just for the brand."

Just b/c one opts for the 530i doesn't mean they are buying the brand.? Its an incredibly arrogant statement (& unfortunately the way a lot of bmw buyers are perceived).? We in the US are very fortunate to be able to buy BMWs at the prices we do, considering most markets are considerably higher.? It would be great if we have more access to other models, like the turbo deisel.
[snapback]77585[/snapback]
The post was not intended to be at all condescending and I do not see where the arrogance was. Of course not all BMW 530 owners are just buying the brand and as a percentage of those on this board probably very few. And I certainly do not mean to imply that a 545i owner has not purchased the car for its name. But unfortunately the fact remains that many do purchase just the Roundel or the Silver Star and have absolutely no idea what machinery they have purchased. That is a fact that we cannot escape. Despite my association with this board, I know many more BMW and Mercedes Benz owners who would buy any thing based on brand. This board is full of opinions and many posts refer to the prestige of BMW influencing their decision. I stated the factors in my purchase and commented on the C-Class vs a Honda Accord.

Kindly register and log in before entering into an altercation.

Regards,

Hormazd
Old 01-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Sorry people's, but I bought my 525i because it is the best car I can afford. If I lived in Los Angeles I would buy a 545i, but I don't. And if you 545i drivers lived here in the UK, you would not be driving 545i's unless you are all truly millionaires.

I have always loved BMW. I don't believe that BMW being sold will affect sales. What will affect sales is if the production line they are built on is changed. Look at MINI. Everybody thought that BMW would dilute the MINI brand. 2 years down the line - everyone loves 'em.

As long as driving a BMW feels like driving a BMW they will always have a loyal customer in me.

I can't speak for others on the board, but I love BMW's because of the way they take corners, the way they shudder when they hit a bump in the road (you can feel the quality!!), the feel of the manual gearchange and the 50/50 weight distribution which makes me confident enough to 'feel' that I could actually control it if it ever went into a skid.

There is more than enough BMW pleasure to be had in my 525i Msport, which has been around since the 5 series first hit the streets way back when. Don't knock the masses (or as IKEA put it - The Many People). If not for us 525 and 530 buyers (the majority), there would not be a 545i or M5 to talk of.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I have my 1st BMW and I have to say that I was not so impressed about brand image. Too posh to me! But I hate FWD and MB/Audi didn't give enough for money, Americans... , except Mustang (not normally sold in EU). What other RWD there is in this price category. So I bought BMW and I will praise that day for rest of my life!

I think I'm customer what BMW want most. I'm new customer and if quality, performance and desirability stays/improves like this I will stay with this marque. Here is four guys in this office and half have BMW and both are happy.

I believe that manufacturers who have innovative attitude and close look for their markets have always place in business, regardless what our dear Guest says.

Skaffa
Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Jan 10 2005, 10:00 AM
Sorry people's, but I bought my 525i because it is the best car I can afford. If I lived in Los Angeles I would buy a 545i, but I don't. And if you 545i drivers lived here in the UK, you would not be driving 545i's unless you are all truly millionaires.

I have always loved BMW. I don't believe that BMW being sold will affect sales. What will affect sales is if the production line they are built on is changed. Look at MINI. Everybody thought that BMW would dilute the MINI brand. 2 years down the line - everyone loves 'em.

As long as driving a BMW feels like driving a BMW they will always have a loyal customer in me.

I can't speak for others on the board, but I love BMW's because of the way they take corners, the way they shudder when they hit a bump in the road (you can feel the quality!!), the feel of the manual gearchange and the 50/50 weight distribution which makes me confident enough to 'feel' that I could actually control it if it ever went into a skid.

There is more than enough BMW pleasure to be had in my 525i Msport, which has been around since the 5 series first hit the streets way back when. Don't knock the masses (or as IKEA put it - The Many People). If not for us 525 and 530 buyers (the majority), there would not be a 545i or M5 to talk of.

[snapback]77695[/snapback]

Well said mate, 'bout time we had a bit of perspective. How many UK 545i owners are there on this board? I can only think of one (jonboy).
Old 01-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Vindication! Where's "Guest" when you want him. Its really funny, But look at this New Your Times article published today about BMW hitting some bumps. Maybe they read this thread.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 10 2005, 01:54 PM
Vindication! Where's "Guest" when you want him.? Its really funny, But look at this New Your Times article published today about BMW hitting some bumps. Maybe they read this thread.
[snapback]77716[/snapback]
Vindication of what, exactly?

If I read your OP correctly you're moaning about the lack of HP in BMW current lineup (why, I'm not exactly sure).

The NYT article is going over the age-old styling issue (yawn x 100).
Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jan 10 2005, 09:28 AM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Jan 10 2005, 01:54 PM']Vindication! Where's "Guest" when you want him.? Its really funny, But look at this New Your Times article published today about BMW hitting some bumps. Maybe they read this thread.
[snapback]77716[/snapback]
Vindication of what, exactly?

If I read your OP correctly you're moaning about the lack of HP in BMW current lineup (why, I'm not exactly sure).

The NYT article is going over the age-old styling issue (yawn x 100).
[snapback]77723[/snapback]
[/quote]
Keep reading.

Quick Reply: BMW is in for a rough road.