The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

All new 2005 A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

Looks good i think.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

the pic is nice but the car is too bland , w/o the e60 aggressive look .
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

I like the Audi A6. I believe it's a good alternative to the E60, but I cannot stomach Audi's arrogance in their service costs.

Also, the resale value of both cars speaks volumes about reliability and build quality.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:00 PM

The statement was made that anyone who enjoys "driving" their car (curves, twisties, etc.) would prefer the BMW. Then another statement stated that the A6 4.2 is not an option versus the 545, but the 3.2 is a better choice over the 525). However, the hp numbers for the Audi are higher so removing acceleration as a factor, I would assume that the 525 and 530 handles the same, if not better, as the 545; which would mean that no matter what model you have, if you enjoy "driving" your car or if you want a true drivers car, the BMW is the way to go.

I think the 545 owners sometime protect their models and leave the 525 and 530 owners out there to hang as to why they spent so much money for their limited hp performance. At 80, 100 or 150mph, all of the models are rock solid. The driving dynamics for each are great!

I prefer the manual (which Audi doesn't offer in the A6), and I prefer the BMW styling. I wouldn't give up BMWs driving dynamics, car feel, free maintenance and resale value for Audi acceleration. I think they make a very nice product, but even at a 525, 530 level, I still prefer the BMW over the Audi.

Just my thoughts. Protect the entire model portfolio, not just the 45s, because according to the numbers, the 45s are beat as well.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Sorry, didn't log in...that was me!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 28 2004, 07:00 PM
The statement was made that anyone who enjoys "driving" their car (curves, twisties, etc.) would prefer the BMW.? Then another statement stated that the A6 4.2 is not an option versus the 545, but the 3.2 is a better choice over the 525).? However, the hp numbers for the Audi are higher so removing acceleration as a factor, I would assume that the 525 and 530 handles the same, if not better, as the 545; which would mean that no matter what model you have, if you enjoy "driving" your car or if you want a true drivers car, the BMW is the way to go.?

I think the 545 owners sometime protect their models and leave the 525 and 530 owners out there to hang as to why they spent so much money for their limited hp performance.? At 80, 100 or 150mph, all of the models are rock solid.? The driving dynamics for each are great!

I prefer the manual (which Audi doesn't offer in the A6), and I prefer the BMW styling.? I wouldn't give up BMWs driving dynamics, car feel, free maintenance and resale value for Audi acceleration.? I think they make a very nice product, but even at a 525, 530 level, I still prefer the BMW over the Audi.

Just my thoughts.? Protect the entire model portfolio, not just the 45s, because according to the numbers, the 45s are beat as well.
[snapback]50489[/snapback]
You are referring to my post and I believe that you read me wrong. You said exactly what I was saying. If someone enjoys "driving" (i.e. curves, etc.) the the BMW is the way to go (any model of 5). They have basically the same dynamics and I agree that the 6cyl's are lighter in the front and if I remember correctly, they are even closer to 50/50 weight distribution so ANY 5 is a better drivers car than the A6. (ot sure about the '05 models but my A.6 had a 6-speed).
I believe that the V8 horsepower numbers are close and Audi may have the edge, however their Old 4.2 had a 0-60 in the mid to high 6's. Only the S6 was in the high 5's or low 6's (and the RS6 is M5 league).
One will most likely get more options/gizmos, etc with the A6 for the $$ but it will never be a BMW (and I'm referring to ANY 5 series). I hope that clarifies it.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Thanks realtyman. I would have posted the quote, but I forgot how to do that exactly(do you just push the quote button, and then add the "quote" information that you want between the brackets?).

Anyhow, you are correct, I did read it wrong and I apologize for jumping to my conclusion. And you are right, for all 5s, there are many automakers providing more bang for the buck initially (keyless entry, sat, nav, voice without issues, etc) but BMW put their R&D where it counts in the driving dynamics of the vehicle. There are a good number of automakers offering competitive autos with more features/$, but everytime I look elsewhere, I come right back home.

I just spoke with a co-work, and he has a Pontiac GTO that has 350 horsepower. That is more than the 545, but, his car is nowhere near as refined as the 545 is. By the way, the clutch needs replacement at 1600 miles...crazy.

Again, sorry for my faulty conclusion and thanks for the response!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

No Problem Aaron,

Sometimes I read things too quickly type even quicker.

there are many automakers providing more bang for the buck initially (keyless entry, sat, nav, voice without issues, etc) but BMW put their R&D where it counts in the driving dynamics of the vehicle.
That's why I'm back in a BMW!!

And yes (i think) on the quotes thing. There's actually a couple of ways to do it depending if you want to quote the whole post or not.

Also, the numbers on paper sometimes don't translate well in real life. My 2.7T had 250 hp supposedly and was good for 5.9 0-60 in stock form (before the chip) and the V8 with more torque and HP was a high 6 second car. Go figure.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Heard the new A6 gonna have a mark-up. Probably about 5k.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

5 series or A6. They are both very good drivers cars. Both very good build quality. Ditto for performance, design etc.

For me, it comes down to personal preference. Either car is a great choice.

Quick Reply: All new 2005 A6