The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Advice on Buying decision, BMW/Jaguar S R

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Nov 6 2004, 01:05 PM
Oops. Welcome to the board. Hope you pick the B car.
[snapback]53282[/snapback]

Thanks Pharding

Everyday I stop Owners of E60 and I get mixed opinions they love the driving of the car but hate the electronics

Every Owners Wives say" I hage the damen car I cant even turn the radio on" sigh" Im not getting into women and cars right now LOL

I also made another observation these people are a much older generation comin out of a Lexus or Mercedes these are people who are not Computer savy like my dad who is 55, he just refuses to learn technolgy

So In that respect I do not think I will have hell learning the cars I drive I think it will actually give me something
t o look forward too
Old 11-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 6 2004, 12:26 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Nov 6 2004, 12:09 PM']You are asking a board full of e60 owners for their thoughts.? Seriously, what sort of response are you looking for/expecting here?

Sometimes I just don't understand questions like this

Welcome to the baords tho'.
[snapback]53265[/snapback]

I am starting to agree with you guys, take away the Cool Jaguar Skin and what Lies beneath is reallyAmerican Engineering.
[snapback]53271[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree the XKR Drop top is So Sexy I had a 2001 Silverstone It was the Most expensive and uncomfortable car I ever owned, the car just could never drive straight, the wheel shimmy lasted for 18 months, Broke 9 wheels in NYC, rattles like a can of bolts, and it felt like a luxury go kart, I hope the 2006 is relaly revised and engineered. Good thing women buy 80% of these cars, they have no clue they just want to look rich and pretty.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I highly recommend the 545. It is a much better automobile. It is incredibly fun to drive. The engineering of this true sports sedan is the best in the world. It is a true drivers car. After 3,700 miles I look forward to driving it every chance that I can. The build quality of my May 04 build 545 has been flawless. The 545 is aewsome.
You're spending too much time screwing with Bluetooth. You should drive the car a little more.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

English built cars are rubbish quality. BUY GERMAN. Anything German. But NOT English. You WILL be sorry otherwise.

The Mini isn't too bad, thanks to the German influence.

Jaguar is so bad that they have threatened to close the factory unless the staff start building stuff that works.

One of the fastest cars on the planet today is a TVR. Only problem is that the engines tend to detonate. Cheap car to buy, but the running cost (new engines) are a nightmare.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i sports package, Nav, HUD, cold weather, Prem sound, Orient Blue, Auburn int. Steptronic

Welcome aboard 2004RType!

I purchased a 2000 Stype back in 2000. My reasons for buying a Jag was very similar to yours. Style, ergonomics, etc.. I would have liked a quicker car, but the "R" wasn't avialable back then. I had more little problems with the car and it spent more time in the shop than it should have. Sure it drove and handled great. But, I wouldn't buy another one. Frankly it was a great lookking car that was average in quality.

I recently purchaed a 545 ad am awaiting delivery. I don't have the experience with the car yet as most of the folks on this board have. But, after spending some time in the car, there's no comparison. If you are looking for a well engineerd car that drives like no other the BMW is the one.

Typical of German engineering, they spend more time and money on functionality and less on creature comforts. That said the 545 is pretty luxurous in my opinon. Hey if you'reinto comfort buy a Caddy If you're into performance buy the Beemer
Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 6 2004, 07:04 AM
I am really having such a hard time making this decision for several factors.

First off I had a 2003 Jaguar S Type R, it was nice had a lot of problems beyond talking about and they took the car back and I got a full refund, YES, I beat them in court!

Now for the money the both cars lease for about the same

A 2005 S Type R and BMW 545i Sport loaded up. BMW does have more perks and options like fold down seat, I drive, better thigh support in the seats, active steering and roll stabilization.

Now what I like and dislike about both cars:

Jaguar, Love the styling, Wheels, Brembos, Supercharged Motor, Simple ergonomics and Navigation Command Unit.

What I dont like, build quality, all Jaguar service reps and factory reps just dont treat customers right. I also feel weird getting the same car twice It is like turning the key just in a different color.

On the BMW it drives superior, not as quick as the Jaguar but it drives awesome.
I like the full maint program, jaguar doesn't have that. I like the fact that it is a new car altogether

What I dislike, the Nav system, the rear styling, the interior styling, seats hard really hard, never heard the audio system so i cant judge.

For me styling is so important and so is ergonomic design

If I go for the BMW it is based on the cars driving ability and not much more I agree the engineering in the 545i is lightyears ahead of the BRITS.

If I go for the Jaguar it is based on overall style and performance even though the BMW drives smoother and handles much better.

I just dont know what to do.

Any suggestions?
[snapback]53260[/snapback]
first of all, congrats on the refund. you might want to tell suebww how did you do it. i hope suebmw is reading .

i totally agree with all the posts above . one more thing you need to think is e60 just came out late last year as '04 model but s-type is not too long away from a new body style. unless you want to change your car w/i 1-2 years, otherwise the s-type will be an "old" car very soon <_<.

also, you had bad experiences with the previous s-type and even worse is the people in there don't treat you right . why would you want to go back and get "insult" again ? i'd buy a new e60, drive to that jaguar dealer, tell the president how bad their services are and drive off . go with the e60 and i can almost guarantee you won't regret a bit .
Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Turning on the radio on/adjusting volume and finding stations can be done w/o idrive. There's a couple of buttons on the dash. It's easy.

The idrive adds more features, especially the programmable buttons on the steering wheel. Mine are set to: mute, volume, next source. It's easy to learn. Once I had the I drive setup, I really don't change much any more except to use it to access the CD changer.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Guest_2004RType_*

I agree the style of the S was just updated for 2005 and I only lease cars for 24 months so Im not worried about being outdated.

I am buying the 545i Monday, I think Im going to get black/black and slave to keep it clean but I like it and Im sure Ill love driving it,

In terms of how I sued a Major Manufacture and won please email me I will be more than willing to help anyone who has this.

I already Have won with Mercedes for a Friend, BMW for another friend Jaguar for myself and even Lexus many years back for an Es300 I had in HS.

Go figure I know my stuff!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW545i; Orient Blue with tan interior; Steptronic, Sports package, BBS RK 18" wheels; cold weather package; Logic 7
Having owned a 2004 Jag S-Type R and now a 2005 545i, I can tell you that the Bimmer is better made and probably just as quick as the Jag (certainly at speeds above 60MPH) ; in fact, I believe the Bimmer is faster in the quarter mile by 1MPH or so. What annoyed me about the Jag was how quickly the auto tranny shifted out of 1st gear - at 4500 or so- well below the redline. On the other hand, the Jag had great styling - I loved the gray stained burled oak wood in the interior. Also, my Logic 7 stereoin my 545i is better than the Jag's stereo.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest_2004RType_*' date='Nov 6 2004, 02:29 PM
I agree the style of the S was just updated for 2005 and I only lease cars for 24 months so Im not worried about being outdated.

I am buying the 545i Monday, I think Im going to get black/black and slave to keep it clean but I like it and Im sure Ill love driving it,

In terms of how I sued a Major Manufacture and won please email me I will be more than willing to help anyone who has this.

I already Have won with Mercedes for a Friend, BMW for another friend Jaguar for myself and even Lexus many years back for an Es300 I had in HS.

Go figure I know my stuff!
[snapback]53384[/snapback]
we'll have another proud e60 owner & member in this forum . as far as the lawsuit, i think one of our members, suebmw, would love to hear your story .

Quick Reply: Advice on Buying decision, BMW/Jaguar S R