The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Advice on Buying decision, BMW/Jaguar S R

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really having such a hard time making this decision for several factors.

First off I had a 2003 Jaguar S Type R, it was nice had a lot of problems beyond talking about and they took the car back and I got a full refund, YES, I beat them in court!

Now for the money the both cars lease for about the same

A 2005 S Type R and BMW 545i Sport loaded up. BMW does have more perks and options like fold down seat, I drive, better thigh support in the seats, active steering and roll stabilization.

Now what I like and dislike about both cars:

Jaguar, Love the styling, Wheels, Brembos, Supercharged Motor, Simple ergonomics and Navigation Command Unit.

What I dont like, build quality, all Jaguar service reps and factory reps just dont treat customers right. I also feel weird getting the same car twice It is like turning the key just in a different color.

On the BMW it drives superior, not as quick as the Jaguar but it drives awesome.
I like the full maint program, jaguar doesn't have that. I like the fact that it is a new car altogether

What I dislike, the Nav system, the rear styling, the interior styling, seats hard really hard, never heard the audio system so i cant judge.

For me styling is so important and so is ergonomic design

If I go for the BMW it is based on the cars driving ability and not much more I agree the engineering in the 545i is lightyears ahead of the BRITS.

If I go for the Jaguar it is based on overall style and performance even though the BMW drives smoother and handles much better.

I just dont know what to do.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've got a great suggestion. Buy the BMW.

I have a good friend in Florida that had an S-Type that the dealer took back (sort of). They put him into a new S-Type R at the same payment. It was his only real option.

Also, If you already had a Jag, maybe it's time to try something different.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

You are asking a board full of e60 owners for their thoughts. Seriously, what sort of response are you looking for/expecting here?

Sometimes I just don't understand questions like this

Welcome to the baords tho'.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

I'm from Britian, and I don't see the Jaguar as a British car. It is now basically a ford, along with the x-type. They just take things from the mondeo's etc. The Jaguar isn't a very good car, its basically a ford in my eyes, thats why you can get such a good deal on them. The BMW is miles in front.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Nov 6 2004, 12:09 PM
You are asking a board full of e60 owners for their thoughts.? Seriously, what sort of response are you looking for/expecting here?

Sometimes I just don't understand questions like this

Welcome to the baords tho'.
[snapback]53265[/snapback]

I am starting to agree with you guys, take away the Cool Jaguar Skin and what Lies beneath is reallyAmerican Engineering.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

Here's my two cents. I have owned a number of BMW's, but only one Jag. When I got the convertible itch, I purchased a 2000 Jag xkr convertible and, have to say, had a tremendous amount of buyer's remorse. The car was fast (as long as you weren't on a curvy road as the handling characteristics were atrocious), but soulless. The seats offered little or no support, the interior finishings were subpar and the car was in the shop a number of times for various problems. I replaced the car with a Z8, a car that I have had for 3 years and love more now than when I first got it. Also, the Z8 has been my everyday driver and I can honestly say, has never been in the shop except for routine maintenance. I now also have a 545 smg and find the car more fun than my old xkr. Again, these are just my opinions, but I would personally not choose a Jag over a BMW.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Hi there...
since styling and ergonomics are important to you I have the following comment:
Style...it's personal to you , me? I love it. Ergonomics? I mean it's German! Unbeatable.

What Jag says: " look, I'm rich "

What BMW says " look, I'm a driver " - OK, maybe rich as well!!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Add the comfort seats/Logic 7 sound system/HUD/fold down rear seats and you'll be set.

If you get the light grey interior (anthracite wood looks good), it matches the standard dash very well. Make sure the new wood pieces are installed. Maybe later add a wood steering wheel.

Nav with HUD gets you lots of voice commands.

Maybe this combination will satisfy you.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Oops. Welcome to the board. Hope you pick the B car.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

What I dislike, the Nav system, the rear styling, the interior styling, seats hard really hard, never heard the audio system so i cant judge.
Nav System I have never used another Nav System, but I will share my experience with the BMW Nav System. I use HUD with the Nav System. The combination is absolutely awesome. On the lower part of the windshield one can see directional arrows and distance to the next turn, and a general directional arrow, plus the speed and car warnings. You get the directional information so that you can see it and not take your eyes off the road. When I need to glance to the I-drive screen, I really like the BMW screen location which is very high on the dash. I do not like screens that are low on the dash with the air vents above. I do not like taking my eyes that far off of the road. Personally I find the BMW Nav System easy to use. To me it is easy to move through the menu. However typically I just use Voice Command. Voice Command is part of Nav Profesional or the standard US Nav System. It comes with 13 pages of voice commands. This means that you can just guess at a voice command and it usually works.

BMW Rear Styling works for me aesthetically and very importantly on a practical level. The trunk is huge and you can get a lot in there very easily.

Interior Styling I place a premium on ergonometrics, or usability/human design. I find that the BMW approach is much better than the sea of buttons approach. I think the best way to describe the interior is that of "very elegant and user friendly".

Seats You may wish to look into the comfort seats which are softer and more user customizable than the BMW sport seats.

Audio System The optional Logic 7 Audio System in the BMW e60 is absolutely awesome. It is the best audio sytem that I ahve ever heard in an autombile. It is amzing.

For me styling is so important and so is ergonomic design
Styling As an architect, I can tell you that new and innovative design can take some getting used to for some people because it is unfamiliar and different from conventional design. When the Eiffel Tower was initially completed in Paris there was an uproar and people wanted to tear it down because it was different. As people got used to the design, the initial sentiment changed and today it is a widely recognized and appreciated "beautiful" symbol of Paris. When I got my 545 there was one exterior design element that I had reservations. Now after 3,700 miles, I would not change anything on the car's design. I truly believe that the e60 is the most beautiful car on the road. At the Chicago Auto Show the other cars looked the same and ordinary in comparison to the e60.

The ergonomics, the human engineering, of the car is absolutely superb. The cabin is spacious and very comfrotable. The dimensions are the right size. The controls are logically laid out and placed. Some non-owners criticize the I-drive. However after three hours of use it becomes very natural and logical. Most of the time I use the controls mounted on the steering wheel including the two user programmable buttons and voice commands. I very much prefer this approach to looking for buttons in a sea of buttons. BMW's approach is much safer in opinion and easier to use.

I just dont know what to do.
Any suggestions?
I highly recommend the 545. It is a much better automobile. It is incredibly fun to drive. The engineering of this true sports sedan is the best in the world. It is a true drivers car. After 3,700 miles I look forward to driving it every chance that I can. The build quality of my May 04 build 545 has been flawless. The 545 is aewsome.

Quick Reply: Advice on Buying decision, BMW/Jaguar S R