The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

530i vs A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 4 2005, 04:16 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Jan 4 2005, 07:59 AM']Sorry, I have only just stopped laughing that you thought Audi was French.
[snapback]75407[/snapback]

Dunno, it just sounded that way (audi... au is a french word, but di is italian ). Honestly I have no idea how I came to that conclusion.

-The Pentium Guy
[snapback]75583[/snapback]
[/quote]

AUDI is not italian. It's Latin! In english it means: "hear!" (with exclamation mark). Before the war the company called itself Auto Union and built great luxury liners with the name "Horch". Now "horch" is an other german word for "hear!". After the war, the compony "Auto Union" stopped production, and came together with Volkswagen VW. In the late 60ies I think, they came to the conclusion to start building cars again. But they didn't want to use the old brand "Horch" again and used the abbreviation AUDI for Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt that coincidentally was also the latin word for "Horch"!

Just a little history ...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

IMHO, Audi is still the leader in AWD technology. There have also been numerous comments on the net & press that Audi's "I Drive Clone" is more intuitive and easier to operate than BMW's version. So while I agree with a number of your comments (Guest), I don't think Audi is a far away as you suggest from MB & BMW. I think Audi's biggest issues are improving reliability (similar to BMW), residuals/perceived value and dealer body. All major items in my book.

I didn't help that Audi had a stale product line which has since improved with the new A8 and A6. If the A6 has significant issues in its 1st year, however, Audi will have a hard time closing the gap. I also question Audi's pricing (new A6 and A8), starting to close the gap b/w BMW and MB. The gap still exists, but it has declined. As a result, BMW and MB are better values, particularly when you lease.

I prefer the way the 5 series drives over the A6, but they are both good vehicles. One concentrates more on driving dynamics while the other is more luxury focused.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s
Cool

Originally Posted by mkoehler' date='Jan 7 2005, 06:59 AM
[quote name='The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 4 2005, 04:16 PM'][quote name='browellm' date='Jan 4 2005, 07:59 AM']Sorry, I have only just stopped laughing that you thought Audi was French.

Dunno, it just sounded that way (audi... au is a french word, but di is italian ). Honestly I have no idea how I came to that conclusion.

-The Pentium Guy
[/quote]

AUDI is not italian. It's Latin! In english it means: "hear!" (with exclamation mark). Before the war the company called itself Auto Union and built great luxury liners with the name "Horch". Now "horch" is an other german word for "hear!". After the war, the compony "Auto Union" stopped production, and came together with Volkswagen VW. In the late 60ies I think, they came to the conclusion to start building cars again. But they didn't want to use the old brand "Horch" again and used the abbreviation AUDI for Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt that coincidentally was also the latin word for "Horch"!

[snapback]76609[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

Wrong glass sir!!! Audi in Latin means "to listen."

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Jan 7 2005, 10:33 AM
[quote name='mkoehler' date='Jan 7 2005, 06:59 AM'][quote name='The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 4 2005, 04:16 PM'][quote name='browellm' date='Jan 4 2005, 07:59 AM']Sorry, I have only just stopped laughing that you thought Audi was French.

-The Pentium Guy
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi,

Wrong glass sir!!! Audi in Latin means "to listen."

CVT Benhogan
[snapback]76697[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think that's what he meant when he said "Hear" with an exclamation mark. The German "Horch" means "Listen!" in Latin, which is "Audi".
Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by mkoehler' date='Jan 7 2005, 12:59 PM

In all that history you forgot to mention one thing:
Horch is the name of the founder.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 7 2005, 04:02 PM
[quote name='mkoehler' date='Jan 7 2005, 12:59 PM']AUDI is not italian. It's Latin! In english it means: "hear!" (with exclamation mark). Before the war the company called itself Auto Union and built great luxury liners with the name "Horch". Now "horch" is an other german word for "hear!". After the war, the compony "Auto Union" stopped production, and came together with Volkswagen VW. In the late 60ies I think, they came to the conclusion to start building cars again. But they didn't want to use the old brand "Horch" again and used the abbreviation AUDI for Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt that coincidentally was also the latin word for "Horch"!

In all that history you forgot to mention one thing:
Horch is the name of the founder.
[snapback]76784[/snapback]
[/quote]

Exactly! Thats what I meant: "listen!" is the better word. (i'm Swiss ) And you are right. I forgot to mention that Horch was the founder's name. Thank You!