The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

530i vs A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think?

A6 is cheaper, has a (much) better interior, and has a better AWD system.
530 is the driver's car (handles much better) and looks better, and has HUD .

I'd like to know about the quality of Audi's. By quality I mean dependability and reliability. Does it top BMW? Or is it worse? (I heard french cars had crap quality.) And how long do these engines usually run?

Besides that, please try to be unbiased in your comparison. I *know* 99% of the posts will say "Go BMW.", after all this is an E60 forum.

I haven't driven the A6 yet, but from the screenshots (wow I must be going crazy...*screenshots*) ... erm... pictures, it seems to be pretty well built, and solid. But appearances can be deceiving. I like the instrument cluster - it doesn't look boring like the E60's (sorry guys, I find black and white to be boring - but hey! that's what HUD is for )

Still, they're both pretty good cars. I'd like a comparison between the two please.

Edit: OH - the thing that's keeping me from really looking in to the Audi is the fact that it's a first year model. Even though that means its look is "Fresh" and "new" - this also means recalls/problems/TSBs.

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

First of all the Audi is not French, its German just like the BMW. It all depends on what kind of driving experience your are looking for. It does not say where you are from, but the Audi dealer experience both sales and service is worse than the BMW's in my area. Since they both come in 4x4 thats one less difference. I looked at both only because the Audi was cheaper but stayed with BMW.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Heh. It's not french? I always thought it was... or I must have misheard something.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 4 2005, 02:44 AM
First of all the Audi is not French, its German just like the BMW.
[snapback]75255[/snapback]
Yep.
Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt
Old 01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I really like both cars and would be happy with either. I selected the 530i over the 3.2 because it was more fun-to-drive, had much better lease programs and higher quality dealership service.

In terms of quality, I think they are similar. I have owned 5 audis, including a 1998 Audi A6 (first year). Of the 5, the A6 and S4 saw the dealership fairly often with the A6 being more problematic. I think going with a first year of the new A6 can be problematic (but probably true of bmw also). I have also owned two older 3 series which both had minor, but re-occuring issues. My current car (x5 3.0) and my A4 wagon have the most reliable of these cars.

It also seems the 2004 e60s have their share of issues. It seems the bulk of the e60s problems are software related which can be quite frustrating. Hopefully, the 2005s have less issues. Either way I would want to be at a dealership where you know you will be treated well.

In terms of driving, I found the 530 had great balance between accel, ride and handling. The synergy was just there, making for a very enjoyable ride. I think the A6 is the sharper looking car with an awesome interior, but its a notch below in terms of performance. I found the steering to be vague and car seemed to be front heavy going around turns. It seemed to do everything well, but without the fun factor. It does, however, provide AWD which is a big plus in the snow belt.

Overall, I would choose the car you enjoy most (if your leasing the BMW is a much better value). I would also make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. If you can really go either way, what dealer is going treat best over the long haul?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by macct' date='Jan 3 2005, 10:06 PM
I really like both cars and would be happy with either.? I selected the 530i over the 3.2 because it was more fun-to-drive, had much better lease programs and higher quality dealership service.?

In terms of quality, I think they are similar.? I have owned 5 audis, including a 1998 Audi A6 (first year).? Of the 5, the A6 and S4 saw the dealership fairly often with the A6 being more problematic.? I think going with a first year of the new A6 can be problematic (but probably true of bmw also).? I have also owned two older 3 series which both had minor, but re-occuring issues.? My current car (x5 3.0) and my A4 wagon have the most reliable of these cars.

It also seems the 2004 e60s have their share of issues.? It seems the bulk of the e60s problems are software related which can be quite frustrating.? Hopefully, the 2005s have less issues.? Either way I would want to be at a dealership where you know you will be treated well.?

In terms of driving, I found the 530 had great balance between accel, ride and handling.? The synergy was just there, making for a very enjoyable ride.? I think the A6 is the sharper looking car with an awesome interior, but its a notch below in terms of performance.? I found the steering to be vague and car seemed to be front heavy going around turns.? It seemed to do everything well, but without the fun factor.? It does, however, provide AWD which is a big plus in the snow belt.? ? ?

Overall, I would choose the car you enjoy most (if your leasing the BMW is a much better value).? I would also make sure you are comfortable with the dealer.? If you can really go either way, what dealer is going treat best over the long haul?
[snapback]75273[/snapback]

Agree 100%, love Audis but new A6 handles like a boat and e60 more like A4
Old 01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 3 2005, 08:49 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Jan 4 2005, 02:44 AM']First of all the Audi is not French, its German just like the BMW.
[snapback]75255[/snapback]
Yep.
Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt
[snapback]75260[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you are in the US, there are no French cars sold here. Unless you consider Nissan as French.

Regarding the 5er vs the A6: quality and interior feel/look wise the audi is better, imho. However, VW/Audi has never been good at drivetrain efficiency or chassis/suspension dynamics. You will get a rock hard ride with A6 without getting the associated dynamic benefits that should be there with such a ride. Whereas, the 5er will ride better as well as handle better. Depends what's more important to you, better ride/dynamics or superior feelgood interior.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Jan 4 2005, 03:21 AM
If you are in the US, there are no French cars sold here.
[snapback]75281[/snapback]
Lucky US of A...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 3 2005, 09:23 PM
Lucky US of A...? ?
[snapback]75283[/snapback]
for everything except BMW NA
Old 01-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator