The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2005 Audi A6 ordered-should I cancel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

BMW, and the 5 series specifically, is a drivers car. Audi has for years--unsuccessfully in my opinion--tried to go upscale and be a Mercedes, and at the same time improve their performance (they recently hired away BMW's chassis guru, who designed the A6 chassis, from what I understand) and be a BMW. They've decreased the price differential between themselves and Mercedes & BMW, but they're still in a different league than Mercedes (from a luxury perspective) and BMW (from a performance perspective). Could be a case of not focusing on one thing. They do have fantastic interiors--I'll give them that.

If you want a drivers car, forget about what your colleagues are driving and get a BMW. Then again, since you ordered an "A6 4.2L with mostly every option except sport package" it could be that a BMW is not what you want in a car. As somebody else said, you should drive a 545i and decide what characteristics you want in a car.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by StevenFW' date='Feb 20 2005, 06:06 PM
Need opinions ASAP......I ordered a new 2005 Audi A6 4.2L with mostly every option except sport package several months ago and it is due to arrive any day now.....for reasons that are not important, I was not required to leave a deposit. Here is my predicament: for a long time, my heart was set on the 5 series for all the reasons known to members of this forum, however, over time, I became concerned with some of the issues that were afflicting the new e60, and given the fact that many of my partners (disproportionately-6 out 10!) at work were very long time Audi drivers/owners singing the praises of Quattro AWD (we are in New Jersey), I ended up ordering said A6. When I took the car for a test drive, I thought it was very nice, with the exception of a somewhat brittle ride/suspension, but, nevertheless, I ordered it. As time has gone on, I have continued to intermittently drive my fiance's BMW 330i, and when driving it, I am continuously reminded of the virtues of driving a BMW, hence making me question my decision, as the Audi is good, however, it is NOT a BMW. I have since borrowed my friend's 2005 Audi A6 3.2 to experience longer test drives than allowed at the dealer, and I am impressed with what is good about Audi, but I am still concerned that it is not handling the way a BMW 5 series does. Furthermore, as many of you probably know, the lease rates for Audi insofar as MF and residual are far, far worse than BMW, which is actually at the other end of the spectrum, with excellent MFs and residuals. Hence, a 5 series optioned out, costing 10K more than A6, has same monthly payment. Now, it sounds like I'm making the answer easy and building a strong case for abandoning the A6 and getting the BMW, however, consider this-in the last month, Money Magazine, Motorweek, and Edmunds have all endorsed the A6 OVER the BMW (I know not ALL surveys/reviews/magazines have), with Edmunds getting to the heart of it by way of their ratings, echoing multiple other reviews; Audi wins on everything, with everyone universally saying that it is clearly a more luxurious car, with BMW only exceeding Audi when it comes to steering and suspension (not too surprising)...subsequently I have read tons of reviews, etc. praising the A6 on everything, except mentions of brittle/busy/harsh suspension, overly assisted steering at low speeds, etc. This has all led to making the decision excruciatingly difficult-should I accept delivery of the A6 with its better interior, ergonomics, MMI, etc. with probably performance in terms of steering and handling second only to BMW, or should I abandon it and get the BMW specifically for the steering and handling and accept the otherwise lesser interior, ergonomics, I Drive, etc.? Money is NOT an issue for the aforementioned reasons, and if the answer comes up BMW, I am willing to get winter tires for the snow.

Please give me your honest thoughts, impressions in an unbiased (or as unbiased as one can be on this forum!) fashion, as time is an issue.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum and for putting up with the long post!
[snapback]92560[/snapback]

Hi there,

I'm a huge Audi fan and proud owner of a sweet CVT A4. Love the car. I've been shopping to add another car to garage and looking for a bigger car. I waited a long time for the new A6 to arrive and, being the Audi fan, was hoping for it to eclipse the 5er. Until a month ago, my test drives included E60 530, A6 3.2 and A6 4.2. I drove the A6s first and was impressed. I then drove the 530 and was slightly more impressed although I though it underpowered compared to 4.2. However, I finally test drove the 545 and there is just no comparison. Its a terrific car and its my choice hands down regardless of what any magazine or other auto review source says.

To add another point, I love Audi interiors and my A4 is just super. The A6 interior is a big disappointment because its not innovative or nicer looking than the older version. 5ers interior is plenty nice and I now like its minimalist and clean approach. Not to mention that the seats are far superior to any Audi. As for the exterior, the Audi just doesn't do it for me. And the 5er has grown on me over time, to the point that I find it superb and hoping it won't change until I plug the trigger.

My advice. Ditch the Audi and get the 5er. Just make sure you get the sports package and that damn V8. Of course all the other goodies will make you even happier.

CVT Benhogan

PS - The auto press has been beating up the E60 for a while. Funny, because now that I plan to get one, the auto gurus say its not the best choice anymore. Fine with me!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

You mentioned that money is not an issue. Since that's the case, go for 545i !! you will not regret it..
Old 02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:43 PM
BMW, and the 5 series specifically, is a drivers car.? Audi has for years--unsuccessfully in my opinion--tried to go upscale and be a Mercedes, and at the same time improve their performance (they recently hired away BMW's chassis guru, who designed the A6 chassis, from what I understand) and be a BMW.? They've decreased the price differential between themselves and Mercedes & BMW, but they're still in a different league than Mercedes (from a luxury perspective) and BMW (from a performance perspective).? Could be a case of not focusing on one thing.? They do have fantastic interiors--I'll give them that.

If you want a drivers car, forget about what your colleagues are driving and get a BMW.? Then again, since you ordered? an "A6 4.2L with mostly every option except sport package" it could be that a BMW is not what you want in a car.? As somebody else said, you should drive a 545i and decide what characteristics you want in a car.
[snapback]92621[/snapback]

Stream,

Everytime I see your car it drives me nuts!!!! That sil gry and those 18s are the cat's pajamas.

CVT Benhogan
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Members

If 6 out of 10 of my partners ordered an Audi, I would order a 545i BMW ( no contest as far as a true drivers car goes in my book)just to be my own man. If your partners choice sways you, better wake up and smell the roses.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by StevenFW' date='Feb 20 2005, 03:06 PM
When I took the car for a test drive, I thought it was very nice, with the exception of a somewhat brittle ride/suspension, but, nevertheless, I ordered it.
Wouldn't the 5 series equipped with the sports package and runflats have a rougher ride.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Feb 21 2005, 03:51 AM
[quote name='StevenFW' date='Feb 20 2005, 03:06 PM']When I took the car for a test drive, I thought it was very nice, with the exception of a somewhat brittle ride/suspension, but, nevertheless, I ordered it.
Wouldn't the 5 series equipped with the sports package and runflats have a rougher ride.
[snapback]92655[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yep, it's pretty rough.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Most of us are here in this forum, because we decided to go with the e60. Please keep that in mind when reading our answers.

I have driven Audi for 10 years, now, and loved every minute of it. I was destined to get the new A6 4.2 when it came out. When test driving it I was pleased. Nice interior, lots of nice features. Designed for cruising. Soft steering feel. Ugly grille design IMHO.

Then I drove the 545i and the decision was made. After 10 years of being a proud Audi owner and telling everybody about the virtues of quattro-power, I am now an even prouder BMW owner. From a driver perspective it is the ultimate driving machine.

But you have to decide for yourself, because you have to live with the car for a while.

I am sure there are plenty of guys over at the Audi forum who talk about the exact opposite decisions that they made. Over here at the e60 forum you find those of us who happen to like the BMW better.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Feb 20 2005, 06:38 PM
Stream,

Everytime I see your car it drives me nuts!!!!? That sil gry and those 18s are the cat's pajamas.?

CVT Benhogan
[snapback]92646[/snapback]

Yeah--I love this car!!

As Elvis would say...thank you very much...:winkcool:
Old 02-20-2005, 07:04 PM
fq1
Members

To me what makes a car are the steering, then the suspension and of course the drivetrain. The creature comforts are great and I treat them as bonus if I have them but they do not make me get the car (maybe when I am older, the creature comforts might become more important and might end up buy a Lexus/Buick or something). But not just yet. Interior-wise, the A6 cannot be beat, but its all the other things that are important to me that made me go for the E60. It depends what's important to you, especially if driving PLEASURE is at the top of your list, then you might actually not have any other alternative than the obvious one.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 ordered-should I cancel?