The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2005 Audi A6 ordered-should I cancel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need opinions ASAP......I ordered a new 2005 Audi A6 4.2L with mostly every option except sport package several months ago and it is due to arrive any day now.....for reasons that are not important, I was not required to leave a deposit. Here is my predicament: for a long time, my heart was set on the 5 series for all the reasons known to members of this forum, however, over time, I became concerned with some of the issues that were afflicting the new e60, and given the fact that many of my partners (disproportionately-6 out 10!) at work were very long time Audi drivers/owners singing the praises of Quattro AWD (we are in New Jersey), I ended up ordering said A6. When I took the car for a test drive, I thought it was very nice, with the exception of a somewhat brittle ride/suspension, but, nevertheless, I ordered it. As time has gone on, I have continued to intermittently drive my fiance's BMW 330i, and when driving it, I am continuously reminded of the virtues of driving a BMW, hence making me question my decision, as the Audi is good, however, it is NOT a BMW. I have since borrowed my friend's 2005 Audi A6 3.2 to experience longer test drives than allowed at the dealer, and I am impressed with what is good about Audi, but I am still concerned that it is not handling the way a BMW 5 series does. Furthermore, as many of you probably know, the lease rates for Audi insofar as MF and residual are far, far worse than BMW, which is actually at the other end of the spectrum, with excellent MFs and residuals. Hence, a 5 series optioned out, costing 10K more than A6, has same monthly payment. Now, it sounds like I'm making the answer easy and building a strong case for abandoning the A6 and getting the BMW, however, consider this-in the last month, Money Magazine, Motorweek, and Edmunds have all endorsed the A6 OVER the BMW (I know not ALL surveys/reviews/magazines have), with Edmunds getting to the heart of it by way of their ratings, echoing multiple other reviews; Audi wins on everything, with everyone universally saying that it is clearly a more luxurious car, with BMW only exceeding Audi when it comes to steering and suspension (not too surprising)...subsequently I have read tons of reviews, etc. praising the A6 on everything, except mentions of brittle/busy/harsh suspension, overly assisted steering at low speeds, etc. This has all led to making the decision excruciatingly difficult-should I accept delivery of the A6 with its better interior, ergonomics, MMI, etc. with probably performance in terms of steering and handling second only to BMW, or should I abandon it and get the BMW specifically for the steering and handling and accept the otherwise lesser interior, ergonomics, I Drive, etc.? Money is NOT an issue for the aforementioned reasons, and if the answer comes up BMW, I am willing to get winter tires for the snow.

Please give me your honest thoughts, impressions in an unbiased (or as unbiased as one can be on this forum!) fashion, as time is an issue.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum and for putting up with the long post!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by StevenFW' date='Feb 20 2005, 06:06 PM
Need opinions ASAP......I ordered a new 2005 Audi A6 4.2L with mostly every option except sport package several months ago and it is due to arrive any day now.....for reasons that are not important, I was not required to leave a deposit. Here is my predicament: for a long time, my heart was set on the 5 series for all the reasons known to members of this forum, however, over time, I became concerned with some of the issues that were afflicting the new e60, and given the fact that many of my partners (disproportionately-6 out 10!) at work were very long time Audi drivers/owners singing the praises of Quattro AWD (we are in New Jersey), I ended up ordering said A6. When I took the car for a test drive, I thought it was very nice, with the exception of a somewhat brittle ride/suspension, but, nevertheless, I ordered it. As time has gone on, I have continued to intermittently drive my fiance's BMW 330i, and when driving it, I am continuously reminded of the virtues of driving a BMW, hence making me question my decision, as the Audi is good, however, it is NOT a BMW. I have since borrowed my friend's 2005 Audi A6 3.2 to experience longer test drives than allowed at the dealer, and I am impressed with what is good about Audi, but I am still concerned that it is not handling the way a BMW 5 series does. Furthermore, as many of you probably know, the lease rates for Audi insofar as MF and residual are far, far worse than BMW, which is actually at the other end of the spectrum, with excellent MFs and residuals. Hence, a 5 series optioned out, costing 10K more than A6, has same monthly payment. Now, it sounds like I'm making the answer easy and building a strong case for abandoning the A6 and getting the BMW, however, consider this-in the last month, Money Magazine, Motorweek, and Edmunds have all endorsed the A6 OVER the BMW (I know not ALL surveys/reviews/magazines have), with Edmunds getting to the heart of it by way of their ratings, echoing multiple other reviews; Audi wins on everything, with everyone universally saying that it is clearly a more luxurious car, with BMW only exceeding Audi when it comes to steering and suspension (not too surprising)...subsequently I have read tons of reviews, etc. praising the A6 on everything, except mentions of brittle/busy/harsh suspension, overly assisted steering at low speeds, etc. This has all led to making the decision excruciatingly difficult-should I accept delivery of the A6 with its better interior, ergonomics, MMI, etc. with probably performance in terms of steering and handling second only to BMW, or should I abandon it and get the BMW specifically for the steering and handling and accept the otherwise lesser interior, ergonomics, I Drive, etc.? Money is NOT an issue for the aforementioned reasons, and if the answer comes up BMW, I am willing to get winter tires for the snow.

Please give me your honest thoughts, impressions in an unbiased (or as unbiased as one can be on this forum!) fashion, as time is an issue.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum and for putting up with the long post!
[snapback]92560[/snapback]
In my opinion and in the opinion of the UK motoring press BMW has an un-rivalled reputation for being a luxury drivers car.

Audi does not!

What did www.audia6.net tell you
Old 02-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My wife has an A6 avant 3.0 2002. This is a nice car to drive but it's no 5 series BMW when it comes to handling and braking. I have not driven the 2005 so I'm not sure how it compares to the 2002.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 PM

read your post twice...and I don't see that you've driven a 545...if that's the case...I would suggest that you put down the magazines , drive the 545 and draw your own conclusions. If you have in fact driven the 545...I am suprised that you're struggling with the decision.

I'm long time Audi guy (10+ S4's A6's etc...) in fact I have an allroad sitting in the garage and given your decision...I would go with the BMW...
Old 02-20-2005, 02:43 PM

SteveFW,

There is a reason that the residuals are low for Audi vehicles -- the quality and reliability is poor (perhaps not as bad as MB now, but still not good). Since BMW leads the premium auto segment, the residuals and resale value are among the best. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

From your very long post, it sounds like the choice between the Audi and BMW is not about the cars themselves, but more about "peer pressure" from the 6 out of 10 of your partners who currently lease Audis. If, for political reasons and harmony with your partners, it makes sense to get the Audi, then I would stay away from your fiance's 330i (it will only make it painful every time your drive the Audi).

Nothing else on the market is like the e60 period. Every competitor (Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, MB, Jaguar, etc.) uses the e60 as their design point to compete against BMW, the clear market leader. These are among the reasons why BMWs are so desirable.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 540i, Black on Black, Premium Stereo, NAV, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Heated Steering Wheel

I drove the 545 and the A6 4.2 back to back two weeks ago. The A6 is nice, but the 545 blew me away (and I already drive a 540). I wanted to love the A6 because of the AWD since I live in Pa, but came away thinking that was the only reason I would choose the A6 .

I will end up getting a 545 or 550 and buying snow tires. Life is too short!
Old 02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I test drove the 2005 A6 3.2 last week. The salesperson took me to a large abandoned parking lot, and told me to disable the stability control, turn the wheel hard, and give it gas. This tire burning demonstration impressed me re the virtues of quatro. But the car itself left me uninspired. Numb steering, no power, not a particularly good road feel. To me it was just a car. A few days later I test drove the 545i sport. Very tight feel, communicative steering, power that pushes you back hard in your seat, and very little body roll on tight cornering. In short, it handled like a BMW, and I loved it. Comfort and styling are nice, but if it is not fun to drive why not just get a Lexus?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

stevenfw, i understand your concern and feel that i should give you my opinion.
let us assume both cars have the same reliability, residual value, impact and state of prestige.

this is how i put it, if you have a chauffeur, go for the A6. as a passenger, you will appreciate the 'more luxurious interior feel' of the audi. perhaps a better view from the rear seats, surrounded by the relentless flow of classical jazz and touch of the burl walnut trimmings.

if you are a driver who enjoys throwing his car and gunning it a bit when he / she felt like it or not, then there is no question on the bmw.

one more thing i should note, quattro or not they all stop the same.

i like to correct your notion of
' Money is NOT an issue for the aforementioned reasons, and if the answer comes up BMW, I am willing to get winter tires for the snow.'

whatever you drive , snow tires are a must and should not be spared.

rollee
Old 02-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

I had A6 on order and hated BMW's...
Old 02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by StevenFW' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:06 AM
[snapback]92560[/snapback]
I would never buy an AUDI.
If you want AWD buy a 530xi.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 ordered-should I cancel?