Buyer & Seller Feedback Post feedback about buyers and sellers doing business on the forums.

[timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 06:06 AM
Contributors

Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested in purchasing things from timh. He was selling his 06 550i sport and we had a verbal agreement over the phone. On my way to meet him to give him a deposit, I was told someone else offered him more and tim wanted to show him the car. I found this behavior very unethical and did not expect that from another member. I am glad I didn't purchase the vehicle from him.
Buyer beware!
Regards.
Raj
Old 07-26-2010 | 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

That's a bummer.

BUT, I guess I can understand. If the other guy is offered a grand or a few more, I would totally understand as a prospective buyer.
Old 07-26-2010 | 09:00 AM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
That's a bummer.

BUT, I guess I can understand. If the other guy is offered a grand or a few more, I would totally understand as a prospective buyer.
Yea it sucks...but money is money...sorta unethical...but hey who doesn't need extra monay?
Old 07-26-2010 | 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

Sounds like others think this kind of behavior is OK because "money is money..." I guess someone's word doesn't mean anything anymore. At one time a person's word was his bond. I agree with Raj, this is unethical behavior. I wouldn't make any deals with timh either. Sounds like he's not too trustworthy. You may be lucky you didn't buy his car.
Old 07-26-2010 | 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Meh, obviously this is more about the understanding and perspective of each person. For all we know, the seller could be facing financial troubles, and that's why he's selling the car.

If he can get more money so he can pay his mortgage, or put food on the table for his family, I would even applaud him.

The guy was only going over to give the deposit. Not like he already dropped the deposit off, and then the guy backs out. The OP is probably more bummed about not getting the car at that price than anything else.

Like I said, it sucks, but hell, I understand it.
Old 07-26-2010 | 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Money talks..bs walks. Period. I would have done the same thing.
Old 07-26-2010 | 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Meh, obviously this is more about the understanding and perspective of each person. For all we know, the seller could be facing financial troubles, and that's why he's selling the car.

If he can get more money so he can pay his mortgage, or put food on the table for his family, I would even applaud him.

The guy was only going over to give the deposit. Not like he already dropped the deposit off, and then the guy backs out. The OP is probably more bummed about not getting the car at that price than anything else.

Like I said, it sucks, but hell, I understand it.
Agreed. Ethically, the seller could have done a better job. But legally, no money has exchanged hands, he retains all the rights to sell to the highest bidder.
Old 07-26-2010 | 12:10 PM
Contributors

It's a shame to hear that some of you guys would do the same. We are talking at max a $100-$200 difference. The guy was not in a financial jam. He was just trying to milk it for the last dime even after he agreed to a deal. Legally, a verbal agreement is admissable in court but I don't want to go down that route.
I guess, I come from a different era. I was meeting him later that evening and was on my way to give him a check when he pulled the rug on me. What else was I supposed to do? I was doing exactly what we agreed upon.
Oh well, good to see who else not to ever do business with.
Believe me, I am not bummed at all. I believe in karma and there was no knowing if he wouldn't have still tried to find a higher bidder even after he got his deposit. I think god was looking out for me and this was an early warning.
I just posted to make others aware. I have no interest in purchasing his car.
Regards.
Raj
Old 07-26-2010 | 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Dude, all that "verbal agreement" talk means nothing at all. He could have not said anything to you and just ignored you. At least he told you the truth that he was holding out for more money. Even if it was just $100 and this guy was loaded, it's his decision. Money is money. Period. If you didn't give him any money, there is no deal. What if on the way to buy this car you found out your house just burned down. Would you still be obligated to buy this car? No, you'd just tell the guy someting came up and you can't go forward, and he'd be here complaining about how you did him wrong lol.

This guy didn't do anything flaky to warrant this thread. All someone else did was out bid you. And that's called business.
Old 07-26-2010 | 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 968turboS
It's a shame to hear that some of you guys would do the same. We are talking at max a $100-$200 difference. The guy was not in a financial jam. He was just trying to milk it for the last dime even after he agreed to a deal. Legally, a verbal agreement is admissable in court but I don't want to go down that route.
I guess, I come from a different era. I was meeting him later that evening and was on my way to give him a check when he pulled the rug on me. What else was I supposed to do? I was doing exactly what we agreed upon.
Oh well, good to see who else not to ever do business with.
Believe me, I am not bummed at all. I believe in karma and there was no knowing if he wouldn't have still tried to find a higher bidder even after he got his deposit. I think god was looking out for me and this was an early warning.
I just posted to make others aware. I have no interest in purchasing his car.
Regards.
Raj
There is no need for that. As people are merely discussing the situation with very limited information. And this is what a forum is about. Discussion. If you believe in karma, then you'd know that something are meant to be and something ain't. Maybe this is just another step on your way to the next perfect ride. GL in your car search.

Quick Reply: [timh] Flaky seller on Forum, buyer beware!