Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Treo 700W bluetooth compatability

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the latest from one of my coworkers regarding the bluetooth compatability with the BMW bluetooth car kit (I have a 2005 BMW 545i, 19.x.x software). I work at VerizonBusiness which is totally separate from VerizonWireless, but I was able to find out the latest since I could never get my Treo 700W to work with my bluetooth kit in the car! Here is the update:

The 700w does not currently OFFICIALLY support BMW.

We are working with the BMW engineering team at BMW US HQ to figure out the integration. It turns out that the 700w does work but we cannot claim official support due to two major issues on the BMW side (not Palm):

-????????? BMW address book dialer does not support parenthesis characters ?(? or ?)? in a phone number,

-????????? BMW does not support hyphens either;

-????????? However, Microsoft Outlook automatically formats any number to add parenthesis around area code and hyphen between prefix and 4-digit suffix?

All I can recommend is to format the contacts you actually want to use in the car on the 700w to remove the parenthesis and hyphens (dots work) and then it should work. Currently BMW is not sure how to fix the issue but we continue to work with them to hopefully fix for the second OS update (the one that will also add VZAccess Manager support) in late summer 2006.

Currently, with 650, any BWM models other than newer 300 and 500 models will recognize the BMW kit but loose the connection at first attempt to use. Same problem applies with parenthesis and hyphens but many people use Palm Desktop which allows dot formatting. We home to officially support BMW for the 650 in the next OS update late spring or early summer (May?). However, we cannot be sure of success unless BMW engineering finds some workarounds.

Good luck! More to come if I find out more...

JCW
Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M6 Coupe Sapphire Black/Black Merino Loaded

Originally Posted by jakel2125' post='257744' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:54 AM
-????????? BMW address book dialer does not support parenthesis characters ?(? or ?)? in a phone number,
-????????? However, Microsoft Outlook automatically formats any number to add parenthesis around area code and hyphen between prefix and 4-digit suffix?

All I can recommend is to format the contacts you actually want to use in the car on the 700w to remove the parenthesis and hyphens (dots work) and then it should work. Currently BMW is not sure how to fix the issue but we continue to work with them to hopefully fix for the second OS update (the one that will also add VZAccess Manager support) in late summer 2006.
Are you sure about this? I just looked at my Outlook data and I have plenty of numbers with parenthesis and hyphens and they work just fine with my E63 and my Blackberry.

This is the same Outlook database that was working just fine with my Treo 650 as well.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GeneArch' post='257943' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:27 AM
Are you sure about this? I just looked at my Outlook data and I have plenty of numbers with parenthesis and hyphens and they work just fine with my E63 and my Blackberry.

This is the same Outlook database that was working just fine with my Treo 650 as well.
Yeah... my old 650 also was able to have the speed dials with regular hyphens and even parentheses. That being said, perhaps the information I got from the engineer was for the address book entries and NOT the speed dial entries? I never did get my address book to load in the car, just the favorites...

JCW
Old 03-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jakel2125' post='257744' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:54 AM
I just got the latest from one of my coworkers regarding the bluetooth compatability with the BMW bluetooth car kit (I have a 2005 BMW 545i, 19.x.x software). I work at VerizonBusiness which is totally separate from VerizonWireless, but I was able to find out the latest since I could never get my Treo 700W to work with my bluetooth kit in the car! Here is the update:

We are working with the BMW engineering team at BMW US HQ to figure out the integration. It turns out that the 700w does work but we cannot claim official support due to two major issues on the BMW side (not Palm):

Currently, with 650, any BWM models other than newer 300 and 500 models will recognize the BMW kit but loose the connection at first attempt to use. Same problem applies with parenthesis and hyphens but many people use Palm Desktop which allows dot formatting. We home to officially support BMW for the 650 in the next OS update late spring or early summer (May?). However, we cannot be sure of success unless BMW engineering finds some workarounds.

JCW
Old 03-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Members

Hi JCW,

I followed your advice for my Verizon Treo 650. I have a September build 550i with the software in my car at v. 20. Previously my Treo would loop endlessly with restarts once it had paired with the car.

As you suggested I took out all of the parenthases and hypens and used dots in all of my favorites. The phone then paired and I was able to make and receive calls, but it would often restart at the begging of pairing or when I turned the car off. I then removed the voicemail favorite provided by Verizon ( I was unable to edit it) and put back my own voicemail favorite ( It works just fine, but you cannot assign a speedial of 1, at least I have been unable to do so).

My phone now works seamlessly. I have not had a single Treo restart since going thru the above process. Hopefully it will last. Many thanks for the advice.

HC
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributors

With your 700, can you plug it into the console adaptor for charging and antenna?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jakel2125' post='257744' date='Mar 20 2006, 03:54 PM

JCW

Ever since switch from my Razor to my now Treo 700W+1.1 Updater Im having the following issue which I hope you may be able to shed some light on... basically the only numbers which are showing up in my telephone list in the i-drive are the picture speed dial numbers... Not my actual phone book on the treo... Not only that but I cannot dial these numbers... they show up but they are greyed out.

Any idea why no numbers from the actual phone book display and/or why the picture speeddial numbers do come up in the idrive system. As far as compatibilty BMW support was supposed to be added in the following update http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/t...er/verizon.html
Old 04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PeteRock' post='273716' date='Apr 24 2006, 10:09 PM
Ever since switch from my Razor to my now Treo 700W+1.1 Updater Im having the following issue which I hope you may be able to shed some light on... basically the only numbers which are showing up in my telephone list in the i-drive are the picture speed dial numbers... Not my actual phone book on the treo... Not only that but I cannot dial these numbers... they show up but they are greyed out.

Any idea why no numbers from the actual phone book display and/or why the picture speeddial numbers do come up in the idrive system. As far as compatibilty BMW support was supposed to be added in the following update http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/t...er/verizon.html
Only my speed dials show up. Picture speed dials and numbered speed dials. Drat.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

Originally Posted by PeteRock' post='273716' date='Apr 24 2006, 08:09 PM

I'm in ths same situation. :thumbsdown: Has anyone been able to resolve this problem of not being able to view address book entries?