Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

T-Mobile G1 Google Android Released

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you guys think of the T-Mobile G1 with Google Android?

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/
Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

eh

I've always thought the HTC line was fairly ugly in person, so i'm going to assume this one will be bulky and just as disappointing.

I personally don't use much of Google as far email or gtalk. I know this phone is to promote google and hopefully increase the amount of ads they get people to click on, but frankly i'd like to see more choices out of the box instead of waiting for developers to come out with a separate release if ever. A couple missed programs would be an AIM that doesn't use your text message tally(gtalk is unlimited no matter what plan you have), and a word/excel suite.

besides having free apps, i don't see what this phone does better than any other smart phone above $200.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I'm also intrigued with this new Android OS platform. Looks nice expecially the keyboard. I'm getting tired of texting on my damn Iphone!!! Anyone knows how special this Android OS over the existing platforms?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

ummm i like it i might get it down the road, I just got a hook up with a lady friend and she gave me her phone

word is that this new Samsumg for T-mobile is suppost to be the sh!t but i think it releases until november
Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

It sure perked my interest. My next move, before seeing this,
was switching from T-mobile to AT&T for the iPhone,
but now I'm on the fence 50/50.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='677460' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:29 PM
It sure perked my interest. My next move, before seeing this,
was switching from T-mobile to AT&T for the iPhone,
but now I'm on the fence 50/50.
The only reason I don't have an iphone, is because of ATT. I had them before my current phone with tmobile. My tmobile experience has be absolutely trouble free. I swore I would never own another ATT phone, the experience was horrible. But then the new 3g iphone came out with the lowered prices, I was very tempted. Never made the jump though, ATT just pissed me off so much. The G1 is looking promising. I like the full qwerty keyboard and removable memory. I bet this is just the start for iphone competitors. The G1 didn't completely hit the mark, but it won't be the last attempt. The Google Android operating system looks very promising.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='677641' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:36 PM
The only reason I don't have an iphone, is because of ATT. I had them before my current phone with tmobile. My tmobile experience has be absolutely trouble free. I swore I would never own another ATT phone, the experience was horrible. But then the new 3g iphone came out with the lowered prices, I was very tempted. Never made the jump though, ATT just pissed me off so much. The G1 is looking promising. I like the full qwerty keyboard and removable memory. I bet this is just the start for iphone competitors. The G1 didn't completely hit the mark, but it won't be the last attempt. The Google Android operating system looks very promising.
+1 Thanks for the reminder of AT&T's great customer service

Are you pre-ordering the G1?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

The reasons why i like the iphone are it's very simple, sleek user interface and apps. Other than that it sucks- camera sucks because there's no flash or video mode, texting sucks because there's no keypad and text forwarding or mms, battery life sucks, syncing has to be done over itunes that suck big time especially if you want to transfer files from your phone to your pc. these are just a few i can name on top of my head and i'm sure there's more. If the G-phone can do all these, which i think it can then i'm sold!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I think it's a great step. If you look at the Android SDK documentation, everything is virtualized. I would anticipate (and hope) for a VM supporting Windows Mobile 6 to take advantage of stuff coded for that OS. Symbian and OS X (iPhone version) too for that matter.

I also like the "data only" option. Who wouldn't pay $35 a month to get unlimited data for a toy like that? Just keep your existing handset for voice. Also, it's quad band (unlike most T-Mobile stuff) - unlock it and just put whatever SIM you want in there.

http://code.google.com/android/

this is cool too - winning apps for the developer challenge they put on...

http://code.google.com/android/adc_gallery/