Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Storm Wreaks Havoc on iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by virgil' post='777465' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:08 AM
Re: #15, I can't modify the invitation and re-invite people.

Re: #43 ... it was in relation to #42 ... when you're on a call.

I've just done a trip to KL with a collegue who has the Storm ... gawd I regret not getting that thing!

Cheers

virgil
Ah, that's not what you said in your original post. If the Storm works for you, go for it. The iPhone works for me but I am in no way a "power user" of the device. Those who are really hard core will likely prefer the BB though the iPhone does work as a business tool...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='775419' date='Jan 23 2009, 08:19 AM
Also, I noticed you repeated a lot of the things you don't like about the iphone.

Jailbreaking is the way to go.
+1 Iphone sucks big time IF NOT Jailbreaked!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by virgil' post='775180' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:27 AM
3. Wi-Fi. OK! The Storm does not have Wi-Fi at all ... and is the reason why I chose the iPhone. Yes, the iPhone has Wi-Fi. Yes, you can use it to browse the net and save on download costs if you're in a Wi-Fi area. But, that's where the joy ends. I connect to my home and office Wi-Fi networks daily. BUT, you cannot see other devices such as PCs, notebooks, printers, etc. on the Wi-Fi network and those devices cannot see the iPhone. The iPhone simply uses the Wi-Fi network as an internet gateway. So, you cannot use Wi-Fi to transfer files to and from your iPhone either. You cannot print an email or webpage, sms, or anything else. To me, the Wi-Fi is half-baked and doesn't do what I want;

--> You can SSH into your phone and drag & drop files as you please

5. Touch screen. The Storm has a tactile touch screen, which I found compelling when I tested it. It feels like you've pressed a button. The iPhone doesn't have that. Whilst we are on the subject, these devices don't work like the old HP Pocket Computers, which use a small pen-like pointer. They ignore inorganic contact. So don't try tapping the screen with your pen. This is handy if the device is in your pocket with your keys or sunglasses ... no accidental key presses ... BUT .... my wife likes to use her fingernail to tap the keyboard ... won't work;

--> One of the most responsive touch screens I've ever used.

10. Video. No video recording at all on the iPhone. The Storm has video recording;

--> Cycorder.app for the win

12. "Cut and Paste", did I here you say? ... in relation to point 11 above? Sorry, iPhone does not support cut and paste. Nope, you can't even copy a number from your address book to send in a message. You have to memorise it, switch to your messaging screen, and type it in. Mac invented cut'n'paste ... why the hell did they leave it out of the iPhone? Storm has cut and paste tools;

--> Clippy.app

16. Office documents. There is no way to work with MS Office documents in the iPhone. Storm takes care of this with its built-in "To Go" software. You can edit Word, Powerpoint and Excel files;

--> I can only view the files, so I'll agree with you here.

18. Games. If you want to play games get an iPhone. If you own an E60 you shouldn't be playing games ... you should be out driving. Get a Storm;

--> I have the NES emulator, wonderful little app for flights.

20. Sharing Music. You can only sync your iPhone with ONE PC at a time. If you attempt to sync with your friend's PC all your music files will be deleted. That's right, deleted. iPhone does this to help prevent piracy. There is no way around it. With the Storm you just drag and drop music as you please;

--> There's a program called Tensee iPhone copy. It allows you to "backup" all the music currently on your phone.

21. FM Radio. iPhone doesn't have one ... Storm does!

--> Who needs FM? This is the digital age. AOL Radio, and a few other apps bring satellite quality radio to your iPhone.

23. Web browser. iPhone's Safari web browser does not support Java or Flash. This means I can't properly display any webpage that relies on either of these plug-ins. For example, I cannot display the weather satelite or weather radar. I can't get up-to-date stock market information. I don't know about the Storm;

--> I get up to date stock market information. There's a few apps in the store for free that are very good. One is iStockManager (or something like that). And as far as radar goes, the weather channel app works well.

24. Applications. iPhone apps must all come from the iStore ... through the iTunes software. Storm software can be bought directly from 3rd party vendors on line;

--> I believe you forgot about Cydia and Installer as well.

25. Starting-Up. You'll love this one ... to start the iPhone when you buy it you must: 1. Have a PC. 2. Be connected to the internet. 3. Install the iTunes software on the PC. 4. Connect the iPhone to iTunes and be connected to the internet ... all that before you can turn the damn thing on!!!! So, if you can't do that yourself or don't have the internet or a PC at home, you will need your retailer to set up your phone for you. No such dramas with the Storm;

--> Advantage of this, you're good to go as you leave the store. If you do bork it up, you can make your own firmware that's already activated when you flash it.

31. MMS. Not available on iPhone. No video camera, remember? You can't even receive a MMS from someone else. Don't know about the Storm;

--> I use MMS on my iPhone3g. The App is called SwirlyMMS (tho, it took about a day to get it setup properly). But I love it now.

33. You cannot use your iPhone as a wireless modem for your notebook. Storm supports this, I believe;

--> App called iPhone Modem

34. You cannot set your personal songs as ringtones on an iPhone. There is a hack to convert a mp3 to a ringtone on your PC and you'll find out how by searching YouTube. BUT, the ringtone is limited to a maximum length of 30 seconds. I don't know about the Storm;

--> I use the hack, no need for a 3 minute ringtone...but I see your point.

37. Documents. You can't save a document onto your iPhone. Even if you send a document or file via email, you cannot save it onto the iPhone. Storm doesn't have this limitation;

--> There's an extension for Safari that allows you to save files. I have to go find the name again.

38. Voice Dialing. iPhone doesn't support it. Don't expect to use your dialing commands on your e60, although the "dial number" command will work. I don't know about Storm;

--> There's an app for this as well. Tho, I personally didn't like it. Point taken

39. File Browser / Organiser. iPhone doesn't have one. Storm does;

--> None that comes with it, but you can download it.

40. Mobile Data. iPhone uses old technology which is really 2.5G, called EDGE. I'm not sure about the Storm;

iPhone uses 2g, iPhone3g uses....3g?

41. Sleepy Phone. Our two iPhones go to sleep after about 30 minutes ... when you call them they don't ring. So, after 2 or 3 hours of inactivity, you might find you've got several missed calls you swear you never heard ... and you didn't. Not sure about the Storm;

--> What firmware are you running?

42. Blank screen. When you make a call on the iPhone the screen goes blank. Maybe they figure the phone is up at your ear and they want to save power. It is very annoying when you need to look something up while you're on the phone. I find myself often shaking the phone like a bottle of OJ. I'm now starting to shake the home phone and the TV remote as well. I bet the Storm doesn't have this problem;

--> See above reply.

43. Blank screen (2). You can't change the length of time before the screen goes blank on an iPhone. There is simply no option for this. Storm is configurable.

--> I thought you could set it in the settings.app.

My Rebuttal. I'm not trying to be intrusive, but I'd like everyone to have both sides of the story.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='775217' date='Jan 23 2009, 07:51 AM
Very valid points. However, most of the problems you have of wish iPhone had, you can actually obtain that by jailbreaking the phone. I have mostly everything you mentioned and I wish it came like this from apple but that's how apple makes money. By limiting features and releasing new iPhones so you can buy new features.

Anyway, like I said, you can jailbreak the phone and change everything! It's great! If you need more info, let me know. I can try to help out.

Alot of the features that are blocked (like dragging and dropping) is not there because apple wants u to use iTunes. That's not just for the iphone but for all their iPods, itouch, iPhone.

The Iphones got a lot of potential. It just needs to be unlocked. : )

This was posted by the iPhone.

So how do you forward txts on a jailbroken iPhone? Thanks .
Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 530i Mtech

There is no need to jailbreak the phone now that there are over 10,000 applications for the iphone. One problem you have is you have a PC, when you have a mac its just so much easier. Everything syncs to your address book, mail, itunes, calendar, etc. Whatever your phone dosent have for instance "voice dialing" go to the Apps store and you can get the Voice Dialing App. I have friends who have the storm and personally I hate it. IMO its a wannabe Iphone. Ive had my Iphone since it has been out, I have the 3g now and never have a problem with it. IMO I think its the best phone Ive ever had. Apple will soon have an update that will allow us to fwd texts and turn the phone sideways to text. Dont jeopardize you warranty by jail breaking your phone. Search on the applications store for more useful apps to make your phone better!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

PC's work just fine with the iPhone. My wife uses a dell at home and syncs her calendar and contacts thru Outlook. Gets email thru her Yahoo email acct. I use it with my office PC and it syncs perfectly using the Exchange software that was added with 2.0 software. Email, calendar and contacts. We both use iTunes on the dell at home and have had no issues adding apps, updating software etc...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anthony517' post='777802' date='Jan 26 2009, 03:44 PM
There is no need to jailbreak the phone now that there are over 10,000 applications for the iphone. One problem you have is you have a PC, when you have a mac its just so much easier. Everything syncs to your address book, mail, itunes, calendar, etc. Whatever your phone dosent have for instance "voice dialing" go to the Apps store and you can get the Voice Dialing App. I have friends who have the storm and personally I hate it. IMO its a wannabe Iphone. Ive had my Iphone since it has been out, I have the 3g now and never have a problem with it. IMO I think its the best phone Ive ever had. Apple will soon have an update that will allow us to fwd texts and turn the phone sideways to text. Dont jeopardize you warranty by jail breaking your phone. Search on the applications store for more useful apps to make your phone better!!

LoL, it's impossible for them to detect if you've jail broken or not.

Just flash back to original firmware and you're good to go.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='777810' date='Jan 26 2009, 03:56 PM
LoL, it's impossible for them to detect if you've jail broken or not.

Just flash back to original firmware and you're good to go.
Ya but is it really worth it with all the apps Apple has for this phone.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Anthony517' post='777802' date='Jan 26 2009, 03:44 PM
Warranty? what warranty? I messed up my phone (Dropped it in the sink and had to fix it because apple wouldn't cover the water damage). heh.

Also, jailbreaking the phone doesnt mess up the warranty, you can easily restore the phone to the current state if you have problems.

I'll tell yah one thing a jailbroken phone can do that a non-jailbroken phone can do.. is record video. =)

I've got so many custom sounds, custom themes, custom apps. Its so worth it.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='777873' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:00 PM
Warranty? what warranty? I messed up my phone (Dropped it in the sink and had to fix it because apple wouldn't cover the water damage). heh.

Also, jailbreaking the phone doesnt mess up the warranty, you can easily restore the phone to the current state if you have problems.

I'll tell yah one thing a jailbroken phone can do that a non-jailbroken phone can do.. is record video. =)

I've got so many custom sounds, custom themes, custom apps. Its so worth it.
Ehh Mike, Does Jailbreak come wit a tripod for that video camera??? If not then its trash

Quick Reply: Storm Wreaks Havoc on iPhone