Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sprint Treo 700wx

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Just upgraded from a Sprint Treo 650 (Palm OS) to a 700wx (Windows). Did searches on this forum and other forums and learned that the 700wx can't pair properly with the E60's Bluetooth like the old Treo 650 (which is BMW-approved). Apparently, MS Outlook (which is for 700wx ActiveSync/HotSync purposes) automatically applies parentheses around the area codes and a hyphen between the phone number which the BMW system cannot recognize and refuses to transfer all speed dial entries (except for Voicemail, the one and only entry). I found no true solutions online yet some Treo blogs tell you to delete the parentheses and hyphens. Doesn't work because Outlook will re-add them by default. Then there was a suggestion to use "." instead of parentheses and hyphens, i.e. "555.555.5555" ... still won't work because Outlook will return the entry back to "(555) 555-5555". I even added a "1" to make it read "1.555.555.5555" and the system will still add the unnecessary characters.

That is ... until I tried "15555555555" and BAM!!!! IT WORKS!!! I tested out a few speed dial entries and they transferred just fine. Keep in mind that you have to enter all local numbers with the same format, otherwise the numbers won't transfer. I proceeded to add more entries after editing my entire list of contacts. Then I did an ActiveSync and began to add more speed dial entries. And lo and behold, all speed dial entries were transferred. Just remember to do a soft reset after you are done entering all your speed dial entries, otherwise the E60 won't "see" the new info. Hope this helps anyone who's having difficulty pairing their new non-BMW-approved Sprint Treo! \

And after a day's worth of driving around with the 700wx in my car, not one dropped call and no intermittent on-off Bluetooth connections when the phone is not in use. Just only one minor problem that I couldn't find a fix for: the signal bars on the iDrive screen (except for the "T") do not show. Other than that, I don't really care for that ... as long as the phone works and all BMW voice commands work for the speed dial entries, I'm happy! So far so good!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

So, I'm trying to do the same thing with a 700w (verizon). For some reason, the first 4 numbers I placed in my speed dial worked, but as I add more, they do not transfer. When you say "soft reset," do you mean a soft reset of the phone? I didn't do that, but I DID try to delete my phone from the BMW, and then re-pair them. Still no dice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Just only one minor problem that I couldn't find a fix for: the signal bars on the iDrive screen (except for the "T") do not show.

Bars only show on my screen when I am roaming. I will try your format idea - thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rtl2' post='415247' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:02 AM
So, I'm trying to do the same thing with a 700w (verizon). For some reason, the first 4 numbers I placed in my speed dial worked, but as I add more, they do not transfer. When you say "soft reset," do you mean a soft reset of the phone? I didn't do that, but I DID try to delete my phone from the BMW, and then re-pair them. Still no dice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After you've used Microsoft Outlook (and not the phone itself) to enter your contacts (i.e. address book, not speed dial contacts) using the above method that I described in Post #1, next do an ActiveSync of the new data so that your phone will have an updated Address Book. Make sure that all local calls also are entered using the above method. Do not skip the 1 or Area Code!

Next, begin using your phone to begin entering all speed dial entries that you want. Select whatever contact name you need and you'll see that the phone number pulled from your selection won't have any "( )" around the area code. Continue doing this until you've got all the speed dial contacts you need. Then do one more ActiveSync. Finally, remove the battery cover, and use the stylus to press the reset button next to the battery to perform a Soft Reset.

After all the above is done, you can finally program the phone and car to recognize each other with your new speed dial contacts list. And yes as stated in the above post, most likely you'll only see the "T" for the signal strength and no bars. Still don't know what to do to get the bars to show. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

Roleez,

It works! I've been up and running (thanks to your tip) for about a week now. Except for the signal bars (which I do not care about), it works perfectly. The one thing I notice is that when I have more than 5 contacts listed under the same letter, my iDrive controlled seems to "stop" after the 4th name. Not a big deal, though.

All in all, everything is great, and I haven't had any of the sound quality problems that others have mentioned. But the car is only 2 weeks old. Is this something that I should expect to happen at some point?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rtl2' post='417894' date='Apr 25 2007, 06:16 PM
Roleez,

It works! I've been up and running (thanks to your tip) for about a week now. Except for the signal bars (which I do not care about), it works perfectly. The one thing I notice is that when I have more than 5 contacts listed under the same letter, my iDrive controlled seems to "stop" after the 4th name. Not a big deal, though.

All in all, everything is great, and I haven't had any of the sound quality problems that others have mentioned. But the car is only 2 weeks old. Is this something that I should expect to happen at some point?
So far I haven't had any sound problems. The only glitch I've encountered after all of the above occurs rarely. On occasion, I'd get a call from someone and even though the person's name is listed in speed dial, the iDrive (for some reason) lists the name as "******". When that happens and you see "Accept" or "Decline" at the bottom of the screen, pressing the phone icon on the steering wheel or pressing the iDrive controller down won't accept the call. So I'd have to reach for the phone and press the Answer key to answer. At this point, the Bluetooth connection is still active BUT the call won't go through the speakers. You'd have to hold the phone to your head to hear the other party. Then once the call is over and you press End, the Bluetooth "T" disappears and the phone won't pair up again ... until you press the Reset button next to the battery.

If the programming for the 650 (for Bluetooth recognition and functions) was the same as the 700wx, this phone would be perfect! Other than that, the phone works great despite the occasion glitch above.