Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sony Ericsson P990i

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 523i Auto, Titanium Silver, Black leather, BT, PDC, Hi-Fi Audio, Professional Radio.

Hi

Has anyone been able to pair a Sony Ericsson P990i succesfully? I am aware that the P800, 900 and 910 were a problem, but I am unsure of the 990i.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by neural' post='318871' date='Aug 4 2006, 10:33 AM
Hi

Has anyone been able to pair a Sony Ericsson P990i succesfully? I am aware that the P800, 900 and 910 were a problem, but I am unsure of the 990i.

Thanks
One step at a time. Does anyone even have a P990i.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Members

Ok, just got my P990 today and managed to pair the phone ok.

Unfortunately, that's as far as it'll go - although it will pair, it doesn't want to connect! With my old P910, I was able to pair and connect the phone, but the address book wouldn't work... so it seems that SE have gone backwards!

Ironically, the K750i I also have works absolutely perfectly with my 530d - so I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. My worry was that the phone would act in the same way as the P990 (ie, that the phone book might not work) but having checked out the bluetooth profiles that the P990 supports (including OBEX etc) and comparing them with those on the K750, I was optimistic that it might actually work - I wasn't expecting it not to even connect!

If anyone has any other ideas/experiences, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Mudweasel' post='322777' date='Aug 15 2006, 02:34 PM

Unfortunately, that's as far as it'll go - although it will pair, it doesn't want to connect! With my old P910, I was able to pair and connect the phone, but the address book wouldn't work... so it seems that SE have gone backwards!

Ironically, the K750i I also have works absolutely perfectly with my 530d - so I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. My worry was that the phone would act in the same way as the P990 (ie, that the phone book might not work) but having checked out the bluetooth profiles that the P990 supports (including OBEX etc) and comparing them with those on the K750, I was optimistic that it might actually work - I wasn't expecting it not to even connect!

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, First of all where did you get your P990i from in the UK? On what network. Maybe the bug you have will disappear with a CIP and/or a phone firmware upgrade.
I agree that SE do seem to be going backwards K750i perfect, W800i near perfect, W810i unreliable. The same seems to have happened with the P990i then.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='322889' date='Aug 15 2006, 08:20 PM
Hi Mike, First of all where did you get your P990i from in the UK? On what network. Maybe the bug you have will disappear with a CIP and/or a phone firmware upgrade.
I agree that SE do seem to be going backwards K750i perfect, W800i near perfect, W810i unreliable. The same seems to have happened with the P990i then.
Hi mate - I had my P990i pre-ordered sim-free from Expansys and they got a load of them in yesterday (so mine arrived with me this morning.) As you can imagine, I've spent most of the day trying to get the thing to work!

I used to have a P910i and really miss it's functionality, but first and foremost any phone I have has to work with the BMW bluetooth (otherwise, what's the point in having it?) - hence I currently use the K750i. Obviously I'm no phone engineer, but I find it hard to comprehend how SE can get one of their low-mid range phones to work perfectly, yet they can't manage it with their top of the range model.

Oh well, maybe the P1000 will work with it...!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 523i Auto, Titanium Silver, Black leather, BT, PDC, Hi-Fi Audio, Professional Radio.

Originally Posted by Mudweasel' post='322891' date='Aug 15 2006, 09:32 PM
Hi mate - I had my P990i pre-ordered sim-free from Expansys and they got a load of them in yesterday (so mine arrived with me this morning.) As you can imagine, I've spent most of the day trying to get the thing to work!

I used to have a P910i and really miss it's functionality, but first and foremost any phone I have has to work with the BMW bluetooth (otherwise, what's the point in having it?) - hence I currently use the K750i. Obviously I'm no phone engineer, but I find it hard to comprehend how SE can get one of their low-mid range phones to work perfectly, yet they can't manage it with their top of the range model.

Oh well, maybe the P1000 will work with it...!!!
I think that SE has dropped the ball badly on this one. I had hoped that after all the complaints of the previous P800, P900, P910 users that they would finally be able to get it right seeing that the W8xx and W9xx series seems to pair fine. Looks like they stuffed it up... :thumbsdown:
Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Members

Ok - for anyone that's interested.... I've just heard from a guy on another (non-BMW) forum that he has managed to pair and connect his P990i and can make and receive calls. The address book isn't 100% working yet, but maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel....
Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Mudweasel - What's your ESATO user name
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Originally Posted by Mudweasel' post='322777' date='Aug 15 2006, 03:34 PM

Cheers
Mike
Where did u buy your P990i from ?? ah - ok i see - expansys
Old 08-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

I wouldn't buy this phone yet as it seems to have many problems with it. Most users have reported the phone crashing everyday! ?600 and a phone that crashes is not something I'd be too pleased with! The views on this forum are rather biased as it's a SE forum but you can clearly see inside that people are NOT happy with their phones!!! I have owned the P800, P900 and P910 and none were this bad at launch!

reference: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=105886

Quick Reply: Sony Ericsson P990i