Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Problems getting bluetooth cradle installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, sport package, titanium gray, black leather.
Thumbs up

After some delay, BMW replaced the TCU on my 2004 545 to enable the bt phone. Bt phone is working great and I wanted to get the cradle but my service rep just informed me that my car wasn't equiped to interface with the proper cradle designed for my phone(moto v551). I thought the TCU's were the primary problem on the early production models...any ideas if there's a port to connect the phone to antenna/power?

Thx
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

How much did the new TCU cost you and how did you go about getting it done? I have a Jan 04 build aswell have always wanted BT working but dont want to pay 1500 for a new TCU.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, sport package, titanium gray, black leather.

BMW replaced it after I warning indicator read "SOS communication failure"...apparently this is also controlled by TCU. Luckily the original unit was defective.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by f=ma' post='202738' date='Nov 23 2005, 10:46 PM
After some delay, BMW replaced the TCU on my 2004 545 to enable the bt phone. Bt phone is working great and I wanted to get the cradle but my service rep just informed me that my car wasn't equiped to interface with the proper cradle designed for my phone(moto v551). I thought the TCU's were the primary problem on the early production models...any ideas if there's a port to connect the phone to antenna/power?

Thx
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your car cannot connect to a cradle.

MY 04 cars have wiring that makes them incompatible with cradles. I know, my dealer tried to retrofit an adapter and cradle in my car only to fry them due to reversed voltages. They sent a request to BMWCA and to BMW AG for help and were told it was not possible due to wiring harness incompatibility.

BMW issued a SIB that said that it was not possible to use a cradle in an 04 E60 except with a CPT 9000. Look at item 4 on the first page. That section tells it all.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='204458

Thx
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your car cannot connect to a cradle.

MY 04 cars have wiring that makes them incompatible with cradles. I know, my dealer tried to retrofit an adapter and cradle in my car only to fry them due to reversed voltages. They sent a request to BMWCA and to BMW AG for help and were told it was not possible due to wiring harness incompatibility.

BMW issued a SIB that said that it was not possible to use a cradle in an 04 E60 except with a CPT 9000. Look at item 4 on the first page. That section tells it all.
[/quote]

Hey Ademitt,

Interesting SIB, thanks for taking the time to post it. After finally getting blue tooth installed in my 04 E60,
I was a bit disappointed to read in a previous post of yours that we could not get a docking cradle, but after getting the new Motorola E815, I find that the reception on the phone to be excellent, so no need to have to hook up to the external antenna, I guess I will have to settle for a portable car charges for the times that I have to recharge phone in the vehicle, so far I have not had to charge once, phone holds charge for a few days, and I talk a lot on bluetooth. I keep a charger both at home and in the office, so all is good.

ANother thing that has sparked my interest in the part about being able to activate the stolen recovery
feature on BMW assist. From what I understand this is only standard feature on MY 2005. Have you inquired
on this seemingly retro fit for MY 2004 cars? Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Gabman,

Nice to hear from you. Too bad about your football team, I was pulling for them being from Calgary. It was a terrific game.

I will be speaking to Assist in the next few days as my subscription is up for renewal. I will also ask the dealership if the stolen vehicle recovery settings can be retrofitted in the 04 cars and will let you know later on Tuesday.

Take it easy,

Anast
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='204544' date='Nov 28 2005, 10:50 PM
Gabman,

Nice to hear from you. Too bad about your football team, I was pulling for them being from Calgary. It was a terrific game.

I will be speaking to Assist in the next few days as my subscription is up for renewal. I will also ask the dealership if the stolen vehicle recovery settings can be retrofitted in the 04 cars and will let you know later on Tuesday.

Take it easy,

Anast
It was one of the most memorable grey cups to date,, really cannot believe that they could not even get a field goal to tie it up again, kind of mickey mouse rules for overtime to start from each others 35 yard line, but hey it's the CFL.

My one year assist contract comes due in February, was trying to justify a good reason to renew it, I think the stolen vehicle recovery feature would be just the reason I need, however only if they upgrade me for free, which they did for me when they activated my bluetooth. Always having my cell phone with me , negates any of the existing uses for assist, as you know , here in Canada, we do not get any of the perks that the Americans get from assist. As I lease, on past vehicles I never cared if my car got stolen as always had GAP protection so if my car got stolen I would just get another one. On my BMW, I got a great deal on the lease and if I had to replace with a 550, lease cost would be much higher.

I still cannot believe that we do not have a warranty on brakes and wiper blades like they do in USA.We pay way more for our cars here with less warranty. Am dreading having to fork over $ 750.00 to get a service contract on brakes and wipers.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i dont think your missing anything. i hooked my v551 up to the shark fin and the reception was not very good. have since hooked up a 5db antenna. i took a 500 motorola cradle and mounted in the car. i did have it in the arm rest where the bmw cradle fits, but didnt like it there.

ps call northwest bme in fife. if you dealing with bellevue or seattle you may get better service in fife.